PDA

View Full Version : Hollyoaks vegan storyline ??

Pages : [1] 2

gertvegan
May 24th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Does anyone watch Hollyoaks (http://www.hollyoaks.com/) ?? Apparently theres a vegan storyline involving the character Nicole. Anybody seen it ??

moomin
May 24th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Oh you beat me to it gertvegan!
I saw the episode and thought i should bring it up on here.

But of all the soaps....hollyoaks! Couldnt it have been neighbours or something? Hollyoaks is just poor. Granted i do tend to watch it on occasion, and for that i should be ashamed of myself! :(

Basically the girl wants to be vegan, and is trying to make her family eat vegan as well but their having none of it.

snaffler
May 25th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Ye I have been watching this as well, will be interesting to see how they write this one will watch close.....

If they start making it all OTT, extreme, or look unhealthy I will write in and grill the sods for an unfair, unresearched story line.

Kevster
May 25th, 2005, 07:02 PM
You mean you haven't checked out www.hollyoaks.com and haven't signed up to this amazing deal?!

'If your mobile is able to receive MMS messages, you can sign-up for regular dispatches from everyone's favourite fictional Chester suburb and enjoy HOLLYOAKS whenever and wherever you are!'

I suspect moomin might have, as the young lady seems to be up to date with things, so perhaps you can keep us posted with the regular news updates, and save the rest of us from having to watch it.

Cheers K :p

moomin
May 25th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Eek im so ashamed, watching hollyoaks is perhaps one of my darkest secrets. I didnt see it today though, but i shall keep you posted on the storyline :)

Kevster
May 25th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Your self sacrifice is duly noted.

coconut
May 25th, 2005, 09:32 PM
I only watch Hollyoaks when my sister comes to visit and I'd agree is is a truly horrible programme. I'm sure they'll make veganism out to be something unhealthy. There's bound to be a scene where the worried mother finds her daughter collapsed on the kitchen floor from some kind of deficiency and rushes her to hospital. And when she recovers she'll be straight to the student union gobbling pork scratchings :( I bet you that's exactly how it'll play out :D

DoveInGreyClothing
May 25th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Or they'll have an ok storyline...then just forget it a few months later, and Nicole(Is that the blonde with the big tits? ;) ) will be scoffing a bacon buttie. Soaps are notoriously bad for continuity.
Not seen it in ages, but they had a storyline a while ago with Lisa self-harming and next thing she's wandering around, scantily-clad, not a scar on her body. Pissed me off because it sent out a message to kids watching it saying "this can all be forgotten about" and not warning it might scar you for life if you try it.

snaffler
May 26th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Yes I noticed that one as well, I know someone that went through self harm over 12 years ago and they are still heavily marked from it.....this was only last year this happened.

Glen
May 26th, 2005, 10:01 AM
I think Hollyoaks is more aimed at teenagers. I don't watch TV that much but a lot of my friends do and they watch Hollyoaks, so lets hope this storyline sends out a positive message. I actually think, although the soap is a little rubbish, they do brink some difficult issues to the fore, and I don't think the self-harm storyline is as simple as you think. I used to watch it and I seem to remember they depicted Lisa coming out of a tough time. I agree no scars is a bit odd, but surely it is positive to show teenagers who self-harm that they can get through it?

Mozbee
May 26th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Hollyoaks can't be all bad can it? Afterall it was brought to screen originally at least by the guy who created the wonderful Grange Hill. Now that was drama, I didn't notice the odd naff bit of acting I was just besotted by cool Tucker Jenkins. :)

Atleast Hollyoaks has got Bombhead - endearing or what - ahhh! :o

Mozbee
May 26th, 2005, 11:12 PM
P.S. Yes I used to watch it, but I've weaned myself off! ;)

tails4wagging
May 27th, 2005, 05:41 AM
The actress who plays Lisa is a niece of a friend of mine, and when I went to stay with her some while ago, I had to put up watching every day for a fortnight!!!!!!

puffin
May 27th, 2005, 12:49 PM
:eek: You poor thing

tails4wagging
May 27th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Yes, puffin, I had nightmares for ages after!!! :D .

The acting is appalling from all the actors and have you noticed nearly all the femail actors have blond hair!!??

bulletproof
May 27th, 2005, 05:06 PM
practically everyone in my group at college, girls inculded, watches hollyoaks. reason: 'they're all fit'.

VeganJohn
May 27th, 2005, 06:44 PM
I can't argue there

:)

Shame Debbie (Jodi Albert) left.

puffin
May 27th, 2005, 09:31 PM

The acting is appalling from all the actors and have you noticed nearly all the femail actors have blond hair!!??
I have only watched it once and that was enough, i think i am to old to watch it :D but i will agree that most of them were blond :rolleyes:

DoveInGreyClothing
May 27th, 2005, 10:36 PM
I think Hollyoaks is more aimed at teenagers. I don't watch TV that much but a lot of my friends do and they watch Hollyoaks, so lets hope this storyline sends out a positive message. I actually think, although the soap is a little rubbish, they do brink some difficult issues to the fore, and I don't think the self-harm storyline is as simple as you think. I used to watch it and I seem to remember they depicted Lisa coming out of a tough time. I agree no scars is a bit odd, but surely it is positive to show teenagers who self-harm that they can get through it?
I actually think they handled the issue very well and sensitively, all I was saying is that small details in continuity left a bit to be desired, ie, send the actress to make-up to paint on a few scars if she's wearing something revealing. Forgetting to do that is a bit like having a character who has gone vegan seen eating a bit of animal a few weeks later(unless it's been mentioned they're off the wagon)!
I used to be an avid follower *blushes* of the soap but work when it's on these days!
Here's a good article and links for anyone who self-harms. http://www.recoveryourlife.com/Self_Harm_Information/Articles/10164.aspx

mememe
May 27th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Which blonde one? They all look the same! I have caught snippets when I've stayed out at a friend's house or she stays at mine as she likes it, so I have a vague notion of this soap, I will try and tune in for this storyline, but I am not sure it will be worth it!

Mozbee
May 28th, 2005, 12:22 AM

Give them a chance they are only young, Hollyoaks is their stepping stone. :p

Wait I've thought of a non-blonde she's the oldest sister, her yonger brother is a whizz on computers, her younger sister (blonde) fancied Scott (who did run the night club) and her dad has run off with another woman :eek: ! You know who I mean don't you, or does it sound too much like Albert Square! :D

mememe
May 28th, 2005, 01:53 AM
I think you are obviously still watching it too much! :-)

Mozbee
May 28th, 2005, 02:15 AM
No it's all a distant jumbled memory to me.

I just crave Grange Hill (pre 1990 that is)!

mememe
May 28th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Well maybe we'll have to start watching again, get the viewing figures up and maybe they'll attribute that to people being interested in veganism.

tails4wagging
May 28th, 2005, 04:36 AM
The one who plays Lisa had another years contract when I stayed at her aunts.

Their budget is so tight, apparantly, they sometimes only have one camera aimed at them, so it takes ages to film something.