PDA

View Full Version : Greg Chappell recommends vegan diet for all

gertvegan
May 25th, 2005, 11:00 PM
May 25, www.deepikaglobal.com (http://www.deepikaglobal.com/ENG6_sub.asp?ccode=ENG6&newscode=104801)

Former Australian captain and Team India's new cricket coach Greg Chappell has been recommending veganism for all, from athletes to businessmen, and credits his vegan diet for improving his own health.

In his book 'Health and Fitness', Chappell says that giving up meat and dairy products in favour of healthier foods like soya and vegetables made him feel stronger and healthier.

''We are the only species of animal on earth that still consumes milk products after being weaned. To make things worse, we do not even consume our own milk products but get them from another kind of animal,'' Chappell wrote in his book.

''Dairy milk is a perfectly balanced food for calves but for nothing else. It does contain certain nutrients, but it also contains things which do us much more harm than the nutrients do us good,'' he said.

When Chappell became vegan, he discovered that the illness that had plagued him all his life disappeared. ''I gave up red meat at the same time as I gave dairy foods, but while the benefits of avoiding red meat took awhile to become evident, the effect of giving up dairy food was immediate,'' Chappell wrote.

''Clearly, I had been showing all the symptoms of lactose intolerance. Within days, literally, of giving up milk and cheese, these symptoms disappeared,'' he added.

Chappell joins highest Indian wicket-taker Anil Kumble, who has also appeared in People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) advertisements promoting healthful veggie foods.

Realfood Mary
May 25th, 2005, 11:14 PM
I don't know whether it is still true, but Courtney Walsh, a West Indian cricketer, once told me he was a vegan. He was the fastest bowler in the world at the time - I don't know if anyone has surpassed him. He was six foot six or seven - thereabouts, and I went up in a break at a cricket match between the Windies and Oxford to get him to sign the skirt of a little girl I was looking after. He asked was she my baby, and I said no, I hadn't had a child yet. The little girl was eating meat, that her mother had just given her. I said when I had a child I would raise them vegan. He said, "oh, that's good. I'm vegan."

adam antichrist
May 27th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Excellent. I just found out GC was vegan the other day, completly reverses the whole underarm bowling thing for me!
But then I'm not a kiwi...

I wish there was more attention given to alete athletes who are veg*n. I hate how sports people are always advertising deodorant and gardening tools, they are the ultimate sellouts (as actors who make shite ads usually stop once they are famous, but athletes start making crap ads once they get famous).

Anyway, it would certainly take the wind out of the meat industry etc collective sails when big tough men sporty types announce their cruelty freeness as opposed to weedy little whiners like moby or whatsisname from silverchair who look as though if you speak to loudly to them they would require hospitalisation.

eve
May 28th, 2005, 09:00 AM
When I lived in Bondi, I interviewed Greg Chappell for a NSW Vegan Society Newsletter. Then he became their Patron. He had come to Bondi for a veggie/vegan food festival - really nice guy.

eve
May 30th, 2005, 06:26 AM
In this weekend's newspaper there's a column headed by a little photo of Greg, with the tagline: "Chappell on vegan crusade", and it mentions that he began his stint as India's national coach with a public plea against eating meat and other animal products. He has teamed up with the PETA group in an advertising campaign promoting veganism. Seems there's an ad showing a photo of him holding a cricket bat, and below is the tagline "Don't settle for less than a century. Go vegan" . He was appointed India's coach this month for a 2-year term. Good eh? :D