PDA

View Full Version : Vegan In Germany

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

aloevera
Feb 16th, 2006, 03:19 PM
we shop at a giant organic co-op, apparently the biggest in Germany, here in Dresden, and its brilliant has so many fabulous processed things (if thats what you like) the range of spreads and dips, pates etc is huuge, also about the peanut butter im not sure about the general supermarkets but cashew or almond butter or even hazlenut butter seems to be more popular at our co-op.On the whole though i think the best way to be vegan in germany is to cook at home. The restaurants and the like are pretty terrible for us, and i dont think theres a single one inthis city that has a soymilk option!
But on the other hand there are vegan cafes probably in most larger cities,our closest ones are Leipzig and Berlin.

Monika
Mar 9th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I am making a trip to Berlin with my German class at school in a couple of months. I was wondering if anybody knows of any particular shops I should visit; vegetarian, fair trade, ethnic or so? Is there a vegetarian shoe-shop in Berlin, for example?

Any tips for a visitor not looking for only food to buy? ;)

mercysky100
Mar 14th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I also understand German language, but as i not use that then i forget that..............English is in most places!

Bodybuilder
Mar 14th, 2006, 08:12 PM
I have a bunch of friends from Germany. I was there in 2004, but most of my "friends" from there I met online, on various forums. Check out this vegan german giant :) : http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/article/724

Tanja
Mar 17th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Hi Monika!
There is a small vegan store in Berlin, they also have "Vegetarian Shoes" etc.: http://veganladen.de/Kontakt.html .
Enjoy your trip to Germany. :)

Tanja

rocknroll
Jul 2nd, 2006, 02:05 PM
Hey there, right, nearly nobody eats peanut butter over here, such a shame, I love it, you´ll surely find it in bigger supermarkets. To get vegan food and cosmetics, especially cheese, but also cat and dog food, try
www.radix-versand.de (http://www.radix-versand.de) , it´s great. I´ll move to Northern Ireland in a few months, so I´ll see how it works there. Bye, Nad

rocknroll
Jul 2nd, 2006, 02:08 PM
Oh, and for the food in restaurants: someone mentioned pizza - make sure there´s no milk in it, some seem to use it. For the pasta thing: I´ve only hear of egg-based pasta very seldom in restaurants, only things like Tagliatelle or "Spätzle" are egg-based as far as I know. If anybody is to visit Munich: try an excellent new restaurant, vegan of course, called "Zerwirk", don´t have the adress, google it! Bye then, Nad

paulvegan
Jul 3rd, 2006, 03:47 PM
[quote=paradoxsund]Guten Tag meine Damen und Herren!!! Ich hab' diese Gruppe heute gefunden, und ich interessiere mich,

could you say that again i think i missed a bit!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

yorbo
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:39 PM
How do you say "vegan" in German ? Is it the same word ?

Tanja
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:56 PM
It's the same word, but the pronounciation isn't the same. It's pronounced like the underlined letters in the following words, usually stressed on the second syllabe: will bed good bath north

toma_Paella!!!
Jan 3rd, 2007, 03:56 AM
hey hey :D

seit zwei Monaten wohne ich in Berlin, in der Nähe von Friedrichshain. Gerade mache ich ein Fernstudium und versuche meine Deutschkenntnisse zu verbessern (und leider bin ich noch auf der Suche nach einem Job :mad: ). Ich würde gern vegane Leute kennenzulernen... um Spaß zu haben, ein Tandem Deutsch/Spanisch zu machen, zusammen zu kochen... oder was sich eben ergibt ;)

( übrigens: ich bin zwanzig Jahre alt und komme aus Madrid, Spanien :cool:. Bin Vegan seit 2005 und vorher war ich Vegetarier für noch zwei Jahre.)

Weiß virklich nicht, ob es hier gestattet ist, aber jedenfalls meine Nummer ist 0157- 73908327

Liebe Grüße, und bis bald!!!

- Juan

( http://veganladen.de (http://veganladen.de/Kontakt.html) dieser Laden rockt :rolleyes: )

jem
Jan 9th, 2007, 09:05 AM
i'm in germany right now
i found peanut butter pretty easily, though unexpectedly, at a pharmacy-like store (rossmans ? or something like that).
they had an entire wall of health food.

lysi
Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:07 AM
Hi everyone and especially Tanja

Tanja especially because we know each other - well, from another forum here or there. - Tanja is a pretty active German vegan activist for those of you who haven't noticed yet. :D

I'm German too although living in the UK now. Anyways, there tend to be two words for 'vegan' in German. The, in my view, correct vegan as Tanja already mentioned, but also sometimes 'veganisch', which you might see here and there. So if you do see or here 'veganisch', it will also mean vegan.

Although Germany isn't as 'advanced' when it comes to catering for vegans as maybe the UK, there are products from suppliers such as Taifun, Viana, Provamel and others that are actually offering a pretty good range of vegan products that you might not even get in the UK. On my last trip to Germany I noticed that Provamel offers a vegan margarine and ice cream - usually sold in Health food stores (Reformhaus / Bioladen) which I know are not sold in the UK.

*lysi*

chey62
Apr 13th, 2007, 03:35 AM
http://www.ulmafit.de/index.php?list=KAT05

ich bin urspruenglich aus deutschland :-) I am originally from Germany. This is a website I just came across. my friend who i grew up with told me that there is a new bio laden (store) coming about every week. It seems that it's getting more popular over there to be vegan.

berta_the_aspie
Apr 13th, 2007, 06:54 PM
"bio laden" might be misread. anyways germany seems really vegan, environmentally and aspiefriendly!

chey62
Apr 13th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Actually, I found that there is more variety in Germany than here...fake schnitzel, fake Bratwurst etc??? we can't get that here in the US!
What are your experiences in re reaction from Germans in re veganism?

rejackson73
Nov 11th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Frankfurt isn't bad...although Berlin is much easier, and forget about Friedrichshafen! I know there is a great bio market in Oberursel...and Frankfurt seemed to have its share of Falafel places which are always good in a pinch..

Dolly Dimple
May 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM
Sorry to be bumping an older thread, but I wondered what vegan products you can't get in Germany that you can get in the UK? I'm going to be visiting another vegan in Germany at the end of July, and thought it would be nice to bring something new for them to try, but it seems that Germany's pretty well-supplied already! Any suggestions? (Green and Black's chocolate goes without saying... )

bryzee86
May 21st, 2008, 12:27 PM
Be careful about G&Bs:http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19651&highlight=%22green+blacks%22

Dolly Dimple
May 21st, 2008, 01:01 PM
OK, maybe not that then :(

bryzee86
May 21st, 2008, 01:18 PM
I bought some yesterday, so you could have a look see if they still have the old batches. you can tell if you look on the back and it still says vegan. Other than that I don't think you can get Sweet William (labelled "Dairy Free" brand over here) bars in Germany, nor plamil or Vegan Organica. So perhaps try those?

Dolly Dimple
May 21st, 2008, 01:25 PM
I'll keep a look out for those :)

Kiran
Jun 23rd, 2008, 01:05 AM
VEGAN GUEST HOUSE IN GERMANY

I got this info via e-mail from one of the vegans in the Indian Vegan group. Thought I'd share this with you .....

In her own words .....

---------------------------------------------------------------
I am writing this because I have just been to a wonderful guesthouse in Germany – not too near Dresden but in the mountains in the Allgau region. This guest house is run by a young couple – Torsten and Edita who have a son, Kevin. They were vegetarian and turned vegan because Torsten was influenced by some books about the health aspects of a vegan diet. Kevin celebrated his 6th birthday while I was there and is a very healthy boy. He has also not had any vaccinations. Torsten and Edita said that while the other kids in the kindergarten got flus and other problems, Kevin was rarely sick. They also said that they allowed Kevin to taste the non vegan food of his friends whenever he asked and so he had tried meat and eggs and cheese and milk and never liked any of them. Now he knows by himself that he wants to be vegan. Torsten said that becoming vegan changed their perspective on animals and I saw that neither them now even kill flies. They gently guide them out of the house.

I think the good energy in this guesthouse also contributes as well as the clean air – its in a small village with lots of beautiful walks around and snow topped mountains just nearby.

The guesthouse has options of vegetarian (cheese and milk) for breakfast but the meals are absolutely vegan and amazing. Their 13 year old dog is also vegetarian and healthy.

I want to suggest this place because though I was only there for 1 1/2 days it was one of the best holidays I ever had. There is nothing like having a holiday in a vegan guesthouse with an excellent cook. Torsten only buys organic foods of the highest quality, and the prices of the guesthouse and the meals are very modest.

For more information write to Torsten Stix or just call him. He speaks English though Edita speaks very little.

Gaestehaus Rita
Bergweg 16
87538 Bolsterlang-Kierwang
Telefon 08326 1211
Fax 08326 3859996
www.gaestehaus-rita.de (http://www.gaestehaus-rita.de)

info@gaestehaus-rita.de (info@gaestehaus-rita.de)
---------------------------------------------------------

:)

ellaminnowpea
Jun 23rd, 2008, 01:39 AM
Thanks, for the info, Kiran. I'll definitely have to support them next time I visit Germany. I absolutely loved it there last time, although I had a little trouble with food in the lodges in Obersdorf. I'd love to stay in a lodge like this!

ellaminnowpea
Jun 23rd, 2008, 01:41 AM
Also, I noticed the website is in German. Is there a way to find out this info in English? I dont know very much German and am much better at undestanding speech than reading it.