PDA

View Full Version : Vegan In Germany

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

pavotrouge
Jun 29th, 2008, 10:51 PM
thanks for the info Kieran... though the Allgäu is not that interesting. I can translate some parts if you like to, ella :)

The Frankfurt area is cool for vegans since they have one of the most active and productive AR groups in Germany. Cologne and Berlin are close.

Almost every city (read: more than 300,000 inhabitants) in the Rhine/Ruhr area where I live has vegan-friendly restaurants and underground groups, so I'm happy to help out.

pat sommer
Jul 10th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Hello all!

I haven't lived in Germany for a number of years (kann aber noch reden) and I wish I could make it to Dresden for the IVU Kongress 27 Juli - 3 August.

But, I am helping, Xie Zheng, a friend here in Beijing organize his trip to represent all us vegans living in China. He will play music, give a workshop, make contacts and generally inform people about his initiative:

Bie Chi Pengyou = Don't Eat Friends http://blog.sina.com.cn/biechipengyou
(still only in Chinese) All of us at the Vegan Social Club support his work:
http://vegansocialclub.com/ (scroll way down)

Anyway, this is rather late..... Help.

I got him an affordable flight (Beijing Olympics time) arriving Berlin 22 July.
Congress in Dresden starts 27 July.

Any ideas? I will have a look at all the links here.
It would be great for Xie to meet other activists and keep to a tight budget. All his income as a musician gets plowed back into his initiative. Right now there are concerts in support of animal rescue work in the quake zone. Oh, and he speaks a little English, kein deutsch.

cheers everyone!

indianvegan
Jul 10th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Good.

I have forwarded your message to Vanessa Clarke of Vegan Society and Shankar Narayan from India. I hope, either of these two would contact.

Manish Jain

shannade
Jul 10th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Hi,

Please go to http://www.ivu.org/congress/2008/index.html for all details of participating in the Dresden IVU Congress. If you need any personalised assistance, please write to me at indianvegansociety@rediffmail.com

Best wishes,
Shankar.

pat sommer
Jul 10th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Very kind. Xie is organized for the congress but as yet has no plans for the 4 days preceding. Hoping he will make good use of the time.

pavotrouge
Jul 10th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I might be there, depending on how broke Dublin will leave me.

Opheliac
Jan 21st, 2009, 08:42 PM
I'd like to reanimate this thread and hope to find some more Germans here. (:

pavotrouge
Jan 21st, 2009, 08:59 PM
well I'm still here... though I announced at work that I'm leaving for London in Mid-July officially today!

Opheliac
Jan 21st, 2009, 09:05 PM
So, again.. (I didn't really get that) you're moving to London?

Marini
Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:47 AM
Here's another german vegan ;) Currently I'm in Norway, but probably come back to Germany in march.
From which cities are you two?

Opheliac
Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
I'm from Wetter (Ruhr), that's near Dortmund. And you?

Marini
Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:53 AM
Dresden! I never went to NRW actually (I probably travelled more in other european countries than in Germany *blush). Do you have some vegan friends in your surrounding?

Opheliac
Jan 22nd, 2009, 12:34 PM
Not really. Just pavotrouge. We'll meet on Sunday for the first time. ^.^

Marini
Jan 22nd, 2009, 12:43 PM
Oh! So have fun there :)
I just listened to your (and your band) myspace-music a bit - it's definetely good! Hope you have a lot of performances.

pavotrouge
Jan 22nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
The Rhein-Ruhr area is a huge vegan centre, everybody new I met in the past year was vegan :)
I'm living in Krefeld which is kinda in between the lower Rhine area, west Ruhr area (Duisburg is 10 km away) and Düsseldorf, where I work.

Marini
Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:20 AM
Wow that sounds great. There are not so many vegans around my area (or I just didn't recognize all) But it's cool to be a vegan here. There are a lot of asian and other foreign foodstores where you can buy nearly everything you want.

shannade
Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
I am sorry for not being regularly in touch on this forum. I was in Germany for more than 2 weeks during and after the Dresden Congress. It was so wonderful to be there amidst beautiful vegans and so much of Germany. I was in Dresden, Frankfurt, Hanover, Ottingen, Halle, Black forest, Kaiserslautern... It is definitely vegan friendly and I remember all the good people. I expect a number of vegans from Germany to reciprocate the visit to my soon to be opened Yoga Centre in India.

By the way, we will have a Vegan Musical Evening on Jan 25 though it is too late for anyone to make to the event.

Best wishes,
Shankar.

AV
Jan 30th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Probiert mal die Taifun Tofu Produkte aus dem Reformhaus, die sind echt super!

Opheliac
Jan 30th, 2009, 03:53 PM
^ I already did. But I can't remember how it tasted. Zu lange her. ^^"

Marini
Jan 30th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I like the Tofu Rosso of Taifun :D Delicious!

pavotrouge
Jan 31st, 2009, 02:35 PM
tofu rosso is pure crack :)

Dragonheart
Feb 1st, 2009, 05:17 PM
Hi there,

I'm a vegan living actually in Gelsenkirchen. Unfortunately, if the Rhine-Ruhr-area is vegan-friendly Gelsenkirchen is not... :(

I'm glad to find some places I can shop to get vegan products. But to go out is very difficult.

May you give advices for vegan places?

Greetz,

Dragonheart

AV
Feb 1st, 2009, 06:14 PM
Well, Gelsenkirchen is a proper town, so there should be shops called Reformhaus or Naturkostladen there. And those are heavens for vegans, I live in the UK but actually import lots of tofu, vegan spreads and other things from Germany quite regularly.

Most major supermarkets also have a section with vegan products, weirdly those are often placed near the milk/cheese area or near the meat. But you can always ask.

With regards to eating out, I know it's a nightmare, so I don't have any recommendations there unfortunately. Maybe try Thai or Chinese restaurants.

If you are still finding it hard, then you can always invest in a train ride to one of the nearby larger towns, I'm sure there'll be some good shops there, but I would search on the internet first because these shops tend to be small and hidden in side streets :)

pavotrouge
Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:19 AM
I haven't found eating out in NRW a nightmare at all ;)

I can recommend the entire alternative scene connected to Ruhr Uni in Bochum... many places there and in Dortmund are very vegan-friendly.
There's the annual Veggie Street Day in Dortmund (and also Kartoffellord, although not 100% vegan, good to eat at!). There's another vegetarian cafe in Dortmund but I can't recall the name atm.

Then there's Zodiac in Essen (a bit expensive though); in Essen there's an info booth by Tierrechtsinitiative Mülheim right on the high street ever other Saturday.

The az Mülheim offers a vegan set dinner for about 5 € once a month.
In Düsseldorf, there's sattgruen (98% vegan) and Jade Imbiss (90% vegan), as well as a monthly meetup at sattgruen.

Cologne has at least half a dozen vegan or nearly vegan places, two vegan shops and TI Köln, also with at least a monthly meetup (I know technically it's not Ruhr area, but the whole Rhein/Ruhr area has the best public transport connections in all of Germany, so what).

Recklinghausen is the home of Veganwonderland, maybe Kim & Kalle can give you some hints when you pick up your order there in person.
I hear there are veggie places in Duisburg, too.

(going further, there's lot of stuff going on in Bonn, too!)

Plus, never underestimate the power you as a consumer have. The pub I frequent started offering a couple of vegan dishes because people kept requesting it.

Did I forget anything?

AV
Feb 2nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks for all the great info Pavotrouge. I had no idea there was so much around. My brother lives in Koeln and he also says that it's very easy to eat out/shop there. I will be spending some time with him there in March, I can't wait to explore all the vegan places. :)