PDA

View Full Version : Vegan In Germany

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Tofukitty
Feb 5th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Hello,
I just moved to Werne, near Dortmund, 3 weeks ago after living in London for nearly 10 years. It's a nice town but meat eating is of high importance here, all the advertisements from the supermarkets have at least 2 pages of meat advertised! I also suspect there is a slaughterhouse nearby as there are many lorries that go by filled with pigs. That and the fact there is a 'barnyard' smell every once in a while....:sad:

There are some products available, though was hugely disappointed to find hummous is not sold anywhere here and no one will order it for us. I am now perfecting my own recipe for hummous.

It's a really big change from what I was used to London. The Chinese restaurant here doesn't have one dish without meat. We've only found one place that does a veggie pizza and will take off the cheese for us. But I am looking forward to visiting Dortmund on the weekend. Does anyone know of any vegan shops in Dortmund that I should visit?

Thanks/Tschuss

pavotrouge
Feb 7th, 2009, 09:52 AM
there's Basic, a huge organic supermarket just 50 metres off the high street. Apart from that, Kartoffellord, as I mentioned above.
Sadly, I don't know about any pure vegan places in Dortmund, but some Dortmund vegans :)

edit: I just looked up Werne, and it's more Münsterland than Ruhrgebiet, so that explains the lorries... the area is one with the highest concentration of factory farms in Germany.
But I swear there are vegans there- have you been to Hamm?

Opheliac
Feb 7th, 2009, 10:33 AM
What do you usually eat at the Kartoffellord? ^.^

pavotrouge
Feb 7th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I'm a falafel girl :)

Tofukitty
Feb 9th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the info Pavotrouge, I visited Dortmund on saturday and had a falafel and loved it. I also went to Basics and was nicely surpised at their selection of vegan food (and hummous!!). It would have been better though if they had some vegan shower gels, etc. That would have made my trip! Didn't make it to Vegetria, we are saving this for the next time.

Muenster and Hamm are on my list of places to check out. I am curious the see more the farmland around Werne, the only bits I've seen seem to cater to horses but no pigs in sight. Haven't been here more than a month and there is much to still to do!

pavotrouge
Feb 10th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Basic carries vegan shower gels, though not all of them are labelled as such. Look out for Lavera brand.

Furthermore, dm (a drugstore/health food store chain) has its own brand of cosmetics and most of them are vegan and very cheap. They also have a good food selection.

I found Café Guttut's website: http://www.guttut.de/
I'd like to go there some time, maybe we could meet up there?

Tofukitty
Feb 11th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I think it maybe time to get out and start meeting people. I'll Pn you.

Opheliac
Feb 11th, 2009, 04:11 PM
²pavotrouge. I wanted to meet her first! T_T

Tofukitty
Feb 11th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Hey, maybe we should meet together!

pavotrouge
Feb 11th, 2009, 08:06 PM
²pavotrouge. I wanted to meet her first! T_T

you probably will, given that I'm ill and busy and in Ireland and all the usual excuses.

BTW, next week is already the last Sunday of the month, i.e. I can't make it to the brunch this month :eek:
(excuse no.3)

Opheliac
Feb 11th, 2009, 08:21 PM
You're in Ireland?!?! Why didn't you tell me?

However.

Guate_Vegan
Feb 11th, 2009, 10:51 PM
We need a vegan language!! :D

Until 5 years ago I went almost every year to germany on holiday. I understand german, but don't ask me to write or talk german, because I am not so good in that :) My grade for german on high school was also not so good :D I was better in French and that I can't even understand :)

Ich spreche keine deutsch :)

OH MY GOODNESS lol I've actually thought of that tooooo! I don't know to what degree if seriousness though.

pavotrouge
Feb 12th, 2009, 09:17 AM
You're in Ireland?!?! Why didn't you tell me?

However.

I will be, from next Thursday to Monday (Karnevalsflucht)... I told you I was looking for cheap flights the other day.

Opheliac
Feb 12th, 2009, 11:11 AM
lol. you're right. why am i being so vergesslich lately?

pavotrouge
Feb 12th, 2009, 07:31 PM
it's probably because you're vegan and lacking B12 :D

Opheliac
Feb 12th, 2009, 08:28 PM
That's the only possible explanation. (;

Enchantress
Feb 12th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Don't forget all that omega three that can only be found in oily fish and can't possibly be derived from flaxseed or algae. I'm sure you're lacking in that too ;).

Declan
Feb 20th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Hey, ich studiere Deutsch an der Glasgow-Universität und am 12. Marz muss ich ein Referat auf Deutsch über "Veganismus für die Umwelt" geben, und dafür brauch ich viele Quellen usw. auf Deutsch. Kennt ihr ein Paar Internet-Seiten, die ich benützen kann?
(Entschuldigung, dass mein Deutsch so schrecklich ist...:-( )

Opheliac
Feb 20th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Hi Declan,

dein Deutsch ist doch perfekt! o_O
Vielleicht hilft dir ja folgende Seite weiter: http://www.peta.de/faktenbltter/faktenbltter.116.html

Declan
Feb 22nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Danke Ophelia, das ist sehr hilfreich :) Weißt ihr, wie viele Veganer/innen gibt es in Deutschland oder Österreich? Ich glaube, dass ich ein Paar Statistik brauche...

Opheliac
Feb 22nd, 2009, 02:44 PM
Laut der Internetseite veganwelt.de[2] gibt es in Deutschland zwischen 250.000 und 460.500 Veganer (etwa 0,3 %–0,5 % der Gesamtbevölkerung), in den USA etwa 0,9 %. Nach der Nationalen Verzehrsstudie II von 2008 leben in Deutschland 0,1 % der Frauen und 0,05% der Männer vegan.[3]

[2] http://www.veganwelt.de/inhalt/vegan/v-faq.html
[3] http://www.bmelv.de/cln_045/nn_885416/SharedDocs/downloads/03-Ernaehrung/NVS2/NVS__Ergebnisbericht,templateId=raw,property=publi cationFile.pdf/NVS_Ergebnisbericht.pdf

Quelle/Source: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganismus (:

Declan
Feb 22nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Du bist so nützlich :) Danke so viel. Als ich das Informationsmaterial fürs Referat geschrieben habe, kannst Du vielleicht es für mich gründlich lesen?

Opheliac
Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Klar, kann ich gerne tun. (:

puca
Apr 9th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I start a new job soon (provided they don't screw up my appication, which looks more likely!) and am aiming for a long weekend in Berlin, travelling by Eurostar, then getting the sleeper from France. :D

So thanks for the info, this is all really interesting!

I cannot wait to start travels.

pavotrouge
Apr 10th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Berlin is supposed to be the vegan capital of Germany it seems...
sad Berlin doesn't seem to be made for me :(