PDA

View Full Version : List: Favourite vegan food

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

veggiemaya
Feb 10th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Veggie Maya,
Whole Foods is awesome, but the total can add up quickly haha! I know how you feel, I like everything in there, and my husband (the mathmatical-budgeter) tells me stop haha

haha, i wish i had someone there to tell me to stop on my last visit! won't be heading back over there for another week or two. isn't it a shame how expensive it is to eat healthy? :rolleyes:

veggiemaya
Feb 10th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Avocados are a new favourite of mine. I've always liked them, but now I think I'll class them as one of my favourite vegan foods. They're so versatile! Avocado in a salad, avocado on toast, guacamole, avocado in a toasted sandwich, avocado in pasta salad.....just a few of the ways I like my avos.

Roxy, do you make your own guacamole? I have a newfound infatuation for it lately. i like to dip organic blue tortilla chips in some guac, and maybe some pineapple salsa if i'm feeling extra spunky, haha. i was tempted to grab a few avocados yesterday and try to whip up some of my very own, but i am typically clueless in the kitchen...so i opted against it. i'm sure it's probably simple, i'll have to look it up before i hit the grocery store next time. :)

Roxy
Feb 11th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Mostly, yes, I do make my own guacamole. I don't follow a specific recipe, and just throw in whatever guacamole-ish ingredients I have here at home. Yesterday with was avocados, tomatoes diced really small, salt, pepper and habenero sauce.

It's also made nice with cilantro and lemon juice.

Give it a go! It's hard to go wrong with guac. :)

crazy_vegan
Feb 11th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Mmm..I love all vegan foods!!:p But my favorites would have to be:

1. Pita Bread & Hummus
2. Soy Dream Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
3. Pineapple!!! Yumm.
4. Any Vegan Cereal (Yayy for cinnamon life!)
5. Amy's Blackbean Chili (any of Amy's vegan foods are good!!)
6. Grilled Tempeh
7. Pears (All fruits are dee-lish!)
8. Van's Vegan Waffles (Blueberry are the best!)
9. Guacamole & Chips
10. Bean Burrito minus cheese from Taco Bell with Tofutti Sour Cream

Stine
Feb 11th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Roxy, do you make your own guacamole? I have a newfound infatuation for it lately. i like to dip organic blue tortilla chips in some guac, and maybe some pineapple salsa if i'm feeling extra spunky, haha. i was tempted to grab a few avocados yesterday and try to whip up some of my very own, but i am typically clueless in the kitchen...so i opted against it. i'm sure it's probably simple, i'll have to look it up before i hit the grocery store next time. :)

Its so easy to make your own.. I never buy premade guacamole, some of dem theres nearly any avocado in...
To make your own just mash some avocados and add some lemonjuice, salt and pepper and a little garlic.. Then you can add whatever you fancy, chopped up tomatoes, tabasco sauce or just eat it like it is... It can't be easier :D

heat13
Feb 11th, 2008, 12:19 PM
haha, i wish i had someone there to tell me to stop on my last visit! won't be heading back over there for another week or two. isn't it a shame how expensive it is to eat healthy? :rolleyes:

Yes! I can't believe it sometimes! But yet you can go to McDonalds and get a "burger" for a $1!!?! Do you buy your fruits and veggies at Whole Foods? I wish I could buy organic but we juice soooo much, we usually get everything from the local farmer's market.

veggiemaya
Feb 12th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Its so easy to make your own.. I never buy premade guacamole, some of dem theres nearly any avocado in...
To make your own just mash some avocados and add some lemonjuice, salt and pepper and a little garlic.. Then you can add whatever you fancy, chopped up tomatoes, tabasco sauce or just eat it like it is... It can't be easier :D

yes, i noticed the other day when i was searching for some in a grocery store that wasn't organic, when i picked up a container of guac and read what was in it..i almost threw it down! haha. it had all types of dairy, not to mention preservatives. i did find one that was 95% avocado, but it took some searching. i will have to try to make my own. thank you for the tips! :)

veggiemaya
Feb 12th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Yes! I can't believe it sometimes! But yet you can go to McDonalds and get a "burger" for a $1!!?! Do you buy your fruits and veggies at Whole Foods? I wish I could buy organic but we juice soooo much, we usually get everything from the local farmer's market.

oh that is so scary.. $1 meat! ugh! thats probably because only $1 worth of it IS actually meat. who knows what the rest of it is. i find it amazing that so many people don't even question the concept. guess they don't think the "you get what you pay for" motto applies to food. but yes, i like to get my fruit from whole foods, but if not, i am lucky enough to have a couple smaller natural markets in my area that carry organic fruit. how come you can't buy organic if you juice?

heat13
Feb 12th, 2008, 02:50 AM
oh that is so scary.. $1 meat! ugh! thats probably because only $1 worth of it IS actually meat. who knows what the rest of it is. i find it amazing that so many people don't even question the concept. guess they don't think the "you get what you pay for" motto applies to food. but yes, i like to get my fruit from whole foods, but if not, i am lucky enough to have a couple smaller natural markets in my area that carry organic fruit. how come you can't buy organic if you juice?

we could buy organic, but it gets really pricey at the wild oats market because we use soooo much juicing. I think the Farmer's market is pretty good quality though. they grow all the oranges right there and they are delicious!

linaduff
Feb 18th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Is there a vegan version of Nutella? If there was it would be my favourite vegan food:)
Otherwise it's peanut butter, dates, corn, tomatoes, Yves bacon, baked beans, mangoes, pineapple, olives.
Dammit, I'm hungry again!

JC
Feb 18th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Is there a vegan version of Nutella? If there was it would be my favourite vegan food:)
Otherwise it's peanut butter, dates, corn, tomatoes, Yves bacon, baked beans, mangoes, pineapple, olives.
Dammit, I'm hungry again!

yes there is, it's called chocoreale. it's soooo good, i'm not allowed it very often coz i just eat it by the spoonful :o

http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/chocoreale-organic-vegan-chocolate-spreads.htm

if you do buy one, go for the duo, the white stuff actually tastes like white chocolate :D

veggiemaya
Feb 18th, 2008, 07:13 PM
yes there is, it's called chocoreale. it's soooo good, i'm not allowed it very often coz i just eat it by the spoonful :o

http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/chocoreale-organic-vegan-chocolate-spreads.htm

if you do buy one, go for the duo, the white stuff actually tastes like white chocolate :D

i am actually upset with myself that i read this. haha..now there is no way i can't try the duo you recommended. i was always a fan of white chocolate. in fact, most of the things listed on that page look sooo good.

JC
Feb 18th, 2008, 07:21 PM
lol! yeah, it is really good. but if you can ask someone in your house to guard it for you, that might be an idea. i could easily eat the whole jar in one sitting if i didn't have someone telling me i'd had enough!! i'm sure it'd be nice on toast and in sandwiches, but i never got round to trying hehe

veggiemaya
Feb 18th, 2008, 08:04 PM
lol! yeah, it is really good. but if you can ask someone in your house to guard it for you, that might be an idea. i could easily eat the whole jar in one sitting if i didn't have someone telling me i'd had enough!! i'm sure it'd be nice on toast and in sandwiches, but i never got round to trying hehe

haha, i used to do that when i lived with my family. now i live by myself, and with my lil kitty...and i dont think she will be able to stop me from eating the entire thing. ;)

JC
Feb 18th, 2008, 10:43 PM
well then just go for it - you have to try it, and if you accidently eat the whole jar while you're at it, then so be it!

linaduff
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:23 AM

http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/chocoreale-organic-vegan-chocolate-spreads.htm (http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/chocoreale-organic-vegan-chocolate-spreads.htm)

Oh you just made my day!:D I'm gonna have to go for it, health be damned. And you had to mention the white chocolate, you temptress.

Roxy
Feb 19th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Ooooh! You all just reminded me! My Veganessentials order is at the post office and I have to go and pick it up tomorrow!! Yay :D

JC
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:05 PM
you'll all have to let me know what you think of chocoreale when you try it. i think i'll have to order some more now, dammit, we really shouldn't talk about this!!! :D

veggiemaya
Feb 20th, 2008, 04:19 AM
you'll all have to let me know what you think of chocoreale when you try it. i think i'll have to order some more now, dammit, we really shouldn't talk about this!!! :D

ok, i don't mean to be a neurotic about calories and fat grams and all that stuff..but i can't seem to find a site anywhere that will list the nutrition facts for this stuff. i need to at least know what i am getting myself (and my thighs) in to before ordering! :p

JC
Feb 20th, 2008, 06:16 PM
hmm i don't know where you can find that information, but i'm sorry to say i do remember being shocked by the number of calories in it. although i can't remember exactly how much it was, i think it's similar to that of peanut butter...it's worth it though (especially if you don't eat the whole jar in one go) i've ordered some of the duo stuff, so it should be getting here soon :D

RubyDuby
Feb 24th, 2008, 12:20 AM
theres about 200 cal in 2 Tbs according to a google search and ppl asking the same question on similar forums.

pavotrouge
Feb 24th, 2008, 12:23 AM
once again: try the praliné chocoreale!
well it's chocolate spread... if you think your average bar o'chocolate has got 600 calories..

veggiemaya
Feb 24th, 2008, 12:24 AM
theres about 200 cal in 2 Tbs according to a google search and ppl asking the same question on similar forums.

hmm, i guess then if i can manage to control how much of it i eat..its not all that bad. my mind is just about made up..i must have chocoreale! thanks for the info!

RubyDuby
Feb 24th, 2008, 12:32 AM
if u want more info i'm sure u could email or call the co?

MaterialGeek
Mar 9th, 2008, 01:01 PM
It's winter here so I've been living on
-bean and escarole soup with brown rice
-veggie/tofu stir fries with brown rice
-creamy potato soup with tons of veggies
-quinoa with sauteed leeks and veggie.

I generally make a big batch of soup or stir fry on the weekend and that's what I eat all week. I take it to work for breakfast and lunch and it's so good I can't wait to get to work so I can heat it up and eat it. And every time I heat something up, people who are in the room comment on how great it smells.

I'm sure I'll have completely different favories once summer gets here.