PDA

View Full Version : List: Favourite vegan food

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

purple.cow
Oct 14th, 2006, 04:15 AM
Probably PURE butter and granovita mayonnaise.

veggiegirl3
Oct 15th, 2006, 03:50 PM
-I think I would die of sadness if N'ergy (spelling??) Egg Replacer disappeared. I use it ALL the time
-Soymilk and tofu (although it was mentioned that they're really not specialty foods, they seem like "vegan" foods to me because not that many people in the US eat them regularly)
-Earth Balance
-Soy ice cream and soy yogurt make my life happier

PygmyGoat
Oct 15th, 2006, 04:25 PM
^ what do you use egg replacer for - I mean what kinds of foods?. I have bought 2 packets over the last 10 years and didn't finish off either packet!.

Wishin986
Oct 15th, 2006, 06:59 PM
- tofu!! and soymilk
- whipped earth balance

im trying to think of other vegan 'specialty' foods i use a lot... im at a loss right now.

EDIT: forgot about nutritionaly yeast!! yummm. and tofutti cream cheese I use on rare occasions so I guess I could live without that one.

rantipole
Oct 16th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Silk coffee creamer: I use it every day! Without it, coffee is sad and pointless.

Tofutti cream cheese: Allows me to enjoy bagels. Yum!

That's about it. Mostly, I cook for myself with fresh stuff. I do use nutritional yeast and Veganaise periodically, but I could live without them if I had to. I probably could not live without Annie's Goddess dressing, but I don't consider that a specialty vegan food.

Cheers,
rant

Annie
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:23 AM
-spinach
-mushrooms
-onions
-peanut butter (or any nut butter)
-vanilla soy milk
-fruit of almost any kind (specially melon and berries!)
-guacamole
-salsa
-kidney beans

I have yet to get my hands on soy ice cream or any vegan sweets but once I do I figure they'll be on this list too :D

Paragon
Nov 2nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
I like anything with enough kick to strip paint...

Oh, and I also love vegan peanut butter, but the scales in the bathroom hate it...

steve

hollybee
Nov 4th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Beans.

Jamie
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I found that I really love lentils. I used to think it was hippy food, but I found I really like the taste and love the nutritional fabness. And they are cheap!

Orange-powered
Nov 9th, 2006, 02:56 PM
I found that I really love lentils.

I grew up having dhal, so have always loved lentils. Lots of spices and garlic ...mmm and really easy to make as well!

Jamie
Nov 9th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I grew up in Australia and had never had indian food before I came to the UK when I was 18. Although my aussie nan told me that in her day lentils were known as a paupers food, because they were cheap and filling. And !of course we know they are fab for nutrients (and delish!)! :)

Wishin986
Nov 9th, 2006, 04:15 PM
right now favorite foods are (they change constantly):

- Pink Lady Apples!! (will always be my most favorite food)
- now Honey Crisp apples until pink ladies are back in season
- Broccoli (w. Garlic Chili Pepper Sauce)
- vegan banana nut muffins
- tofu!! (baked) - the best Ive had so far is at Whole Foods this amazingly cooked cajun spiced one, it was very soft and not hard like the outside sometimes tends to get. I also like their Asian Tofu.
- edamame
- steamed mixed veggies (broccoli, zucchini, squash, carrots)
- cereal (PB puffins are my favorite but I usually keep spelt flakes) w. lite or ff vanilla soymilk
- sorbet - mixed berries or mango
- pineapple!
- spaghetti squash (they have it on the menu at a local restaurant now. its amazing)

cedarblue
Nov 9th, 2006, 06:56 PM
i'm currently really into almond butter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dollop it on or in anything - especially my morning fruit smoothies...mmmmmm

Annie
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I'm gonna have to add Larabars to my list. I bought a few yesterday and the cinnamon roll one was to die for!

Roxy
Nov 10th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Hummus, Hummus and more Hummus! :D

Danigirl7
Nov 15th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Garlic hummus with pita chips
Trail mix
Vanilla soymilk and multigrain cheerios
Guacamole
Vegan cheddar cheese grilled cheese
Boca burgers
Stirfry
Jellybeans
:P

Hyacinth
Nov 15th, 2006, 02:22 PM
1. soy milk
2. avocado
3. fresh salsa
4. hummus
5. pita chips
6. tortilla chips
7. smoothies
8. fresh juices (3/4 orange juice + 1/4 carrot juice with a little bit of banana and ginger is sooo good)
9. veggie pizza with no cheese
10. brocolli (and stir fried stuff in general)
11. vegetarian sushi
12. tacos with rice instead of meat
13. french fries dipped in hot sauce
14. tofu
15. vegan cookies

I'm gonna have to add Larabars to my list. I bought a few yesterday and the cinnamon roll one was to die for!

Cinnamon roll Larabars?! They don't have that type where I buy mine. I'll have to go to their web site. That flavor sounds fantastic.

HappyVegan
Nov 20th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Tempeh is my absolute favorite!!!
Anisazi (sp?) beans
Sautéed mushrooms
Gala apples
Polentia
Hummus

Tigerlily
Nov 20th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Lately I'm in love with nachos (made with vegan cheese and sour cream).

emmapresley
Jan 11th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Hi all..could we do a thing where we pop the recipes for our own favourite food that we make to give to our family/friends..like the thing that you make for people (or yourself) when you want to really enjoy your cooking..um..nurtury yummy comfort food sort of thing? :)

I'm curious (nosy) as to what other forum people tend to make as their own special 'thing'

mine is roast veg and couscous and barely deserves a recipe:

chunkily chop up whatever veg you fancy..tomatoes..whole or use cherry ones...aubergine,or baby aubergines..peppers..red, yellow, green -whatever you like..courgettes..red onions and garlic..don't even bother to peel the papery layer off. put in as much or as little of whatever you fancy..toss in olive oil and marigold bouillon powder + cracked black pepper and roast it till it's all soggy and unctuous

make up the couscous with boiled kettle water..little bit of bouillon powder if youre feeling adventurous..leave it to 'cook' for ten minutes or so..then stir in the roast veg. Add a sprinkling of paprika and eat up!
It tastes amazing the next day either cold or reheated.

apologies if there's a similar thread, it's been done before and i missed it.
looking forward to seeing what sort of food other people regularly make and enjoy!

karmadust
Jan 12th, 2007, 12:52 AM
i bring PETA's Cashew Nutloaf to special dinners and whatnot. it's definitely a comfort food to me and very delicious. i don't make it a lot because it's kind of a pain (although it's not hard to make, it's just me) but i love it.

the recipe can be found here (among other places): http://www.vegcooking.com/recipeshow.asp?RequestID=294

i also make Bangkok Bean Burgers ALL THE TIME. yummmmmm....

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7699 (but i add a lot more garlic and ginger for extra spice!)

=Sarah=
Jan 12th, 2007, 02:24 AM
I came up with this rice noodle dish a while back and it was such a hit that I use it almost everytime I'm introducing people to vegan food. They can't deny that it's damn good.. I never measure anything.. some days I'm making it for just me and other times its for a house full.. It's hardly healthful with all the peanut butter and tahini.. rather fattening but it hits the spot for comfort food like nothing else some days.. here goes:

I usually use about 2 parts peanut butter (natural.. of course) for every 1 part tahini I use. I add a generous splash of white vinegar, a good squirt of braggs, minced garlic, this green salsa which I just use as a replacement for anything that calls for thai chili sauce since it's spicy as hell, if you want to add some sodium and extra flavour to this sinfulness I add maybe a quarter of an organic soup stock cube. Then add enough water to make it quite thin. I cook some veggies in a skillet.. usually zucchini, broccoli, carrots and thinly sliced yellow peppers, when they're almost done I pour the sauce into the skillet.. let it cook the garlic a little and reduce a bit, and then add the noodles. Something about the vinegar and the tahini together always makes this extra creamy consistency.. so delicious. I'd eat it every day if i could.

Glossgirl
Jan 21st, 2007, 08:48 PM
My favorite food changes all the time, but some dishes never get my tastbuds bored:

Smoothies
Ice Tea

Stir fried veggies with nuddles or sweet&sour sauce & jasmine rice
Tortillas filled with steamed vegetables marinated in soy sauce, lime & pineappele juice, garlic, salsa & guacamole
Vegetarian paella
Red bean burgers

Cashew nuts
Pistachio nuts

Tomatoes
Cucumber
Spinach
Water chestnuts
Lettuce
Sugar snaps

Peaches
Mandarins
Blood oranges
Lychee

Mystic
Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:07 PM
I know I started this, but that was ages ago, so here is my new list:

- Burritos w/ refried beans, avocado, tomato, corn kernels & salsa
- Vegie Burgers from Grill'd & Urban Burger
- Red Rock Deli Plain Salted Potato Chips
- Medjool Dates of course
- Brown Rice (I just love it)
- Pita Bread
- Vegan Chocolate Macadamia Cake (I make it :p )

hollybee
Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:41 PM
Soup. And I made a vegan pizza last night with fresh tomatoes, basil and garlic. Yummy!