PDA

View Full Version : How do you look at your past as a meateater?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Vivisanctor
May 30th, 2005, 08:49 AM
how should we view meateaters?

--as the scourge of the world?

--as another avenue through which we can be of benefit to animals? In this case they could be considered an asset to us since they are in the best position to be of the greatest benefit to animals in the future, if we can convince them to stop eating animal products.

another question:

Should we be angry AT people for eating meat? let me explain: Seeing someone eating meat saddens me greatly, and it also angers me. I'm angry to see them do it, but I'm not angry AT THEM when I see them do it. Do I feel different than most of you? Being angry is certainly natural, but where we direct our anger seems well within our control, and directing it at the people we wish to reach seems counterproductive to our main goal of getting them to open up to our message..

Mozbee
Jun 4th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Each omni is potentially another vegan waiting to blossom! How lovely :)

adam antichrist
Jun 4th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Through the bars of cages...

littleTigercub
Jun 5th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I know that I am probably very lonely in my views here, but I cannot judge meat eaters. I just don`t. It`s their choice, they do not want to know or do not care enough, but who am I to judge their lifestyle or even try to change them? I have no right. At the same time, I get very upset if people try to change mine.

@ Mary: I have the same experiences. I never enjoyed meat, particularly pork I always hated. But obviously, it is the mother who decides what is bought and what is cooked, and she was one of the mothers who insists in their kids emptying their plates. Unfortunately, meat is very important to my dad and she cooked accordingly. Only when she started working again and be out at lunch time, I was free to stop eating meat - my sister was too happy to take my portions which mum had prepared. Back then, I was obviously not educated enough to know that I have to substitute the meat with something else, so basically, I just had what everybody had, but without the meat. On a Sunday I still had to eat it and hated it.

You are right, Mary, the kids are not guilty. They have little say and have to go along with the choices the parents make for them.

littleTigercub

Evilfluffbunny
Jun 5th, 2005, 02:00 PM

Flesh eating zombies. :D

I've always tried to respect other people's viewpoints and not judge them, but the more I see and hear about animal suffering, the more it sickens me that people eat meat. I never preach to people, but at the same time, I can't help how it makes me feel inside. When I see people eating meat, I see it both as dead, decomposing corpse flesh and I also see the living sentient creature it once was and how it was slaughtered and everything - that just makes me so angry when I know all that suffering and death is needless. :(

Brownie
Jun 5th, 2005, 03:15 PM
I agree with anyone who says that meat-eaters/omnivores should not be seen as terrible murderers, but only unless they have actually realized what they're eating. Children are innocent in my eyes, and we can never blame them for eating what their mothers are making them eat; we should blame the parents for not teaching their children where meat comes from.

Yesterday I asked my mother if I had ever asked her "Where does meat come from?" when I was little. She replied, "No" and explained that somehow I figured out on my own (when I was 3 or 4) that beef comes from cow and so on. She also said that I basically had a vegetarian diet, except I did ocassionally eat chicken nuggets, pretty much the only meat I ate. I did not really like hamburgers, hotdogs, or steak.

I was kind of mad that my mom never told me HOW we got the meat. She never told me what a chicken had to go through so I could eat a chicken nugget. I wish she did explain those sort of things to me when I was younger.. :(

Kumem
Jun 5th, 2005, 03:21 PM
I agree with anyone who says that meat-eaters/omnivores should not be seen as terrible murderers, but only unless they have actually realized what they're eating. Children are innocent in my eyes, and we can never blame them for eating what their mothers are making them eat; we should blame the parents for not teaching their children where meat comes from.

Yesterday I asked my mother if I had ever asked her "Where does meat come from?" when I was little. She replied, "No" and explained that somehow I figured out on my own (when I was 3 or 4) that beef comes from cow and so on. She also said that I basically had a vegetarian diet, except I did ocassionally eat chicken nuggets, pretty much the only meat I ate. I did not really like hamburgers, hotdogs, or steak.

I was kind of mad that my mom never told me HOW we got the meat. She never told me what a chicken had to go through so I could eat a chicken nugget. I wish she did explain those sort of things to me when I was younger.. :(

She probably didn't want to upset you or felt guilty herself for eating meat. No parent would like to explain to a child how horrible humans can be. For a lot of people they try not to think about where their food comes from. I would rather someone had told me about the untold suffering that takes place. I knew where meat came from very early on, but I guess when you see you parents as kind, caring people, you don't make the connection that they would provide you with something that had caused pain and suffering - do you know what I mean?

Mozbee
Jun 5th, 2005, 03:32 PM
A lot of omnies simply haven't got a clue what goes on before their meat in its nice package reaches the supermarket shelf, and that's the way they want to keep it!

Brownie
Jun 5th, 2005, 03:41 PM
She probably didn't want to upset you or felt guilty herself for eating meat. No parent would like to explain to a child how horrible humans can be. For a lot of people they try not to think about where their food comes from. I would rather someone had told me about the untold suffering that takes place. I knew where meat came from very early on, but I guess when you see you parents as kind, caring people, you don't make the connection that they would provide you with something that had caused pain and suffering - do you know what I mean?

Yes, I understand. But I am still a little disappointed that they didn't at least teach me about vegetarianism. :(

littleTigercub
Jun 5th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Some people realise what they eat and don`t.

They know that their steaks do not grow on trees but they do not know about the suffering because they do not want to know. They are in denial because they are probably afraid that, if they would educate themselves about the suffering, they would have to stop eating meat. It`s an easy option just to turn a blind eye to these things.

But if I`d hate all animal eaters and consider them as murderers I would be very hateful and lonely. Saying this, I cannot help judging people who chose slaughtering etc as their profession. This is one thing I cannot understand, that, among all the trades one can go in, one choses killing and torturing. These must be sick and sadistic people. I wouldn`t say this to people but I cannot help that this is how I feel about them. I abhorr butchers and such and cannot imagine that they can be good persons.

littleTigercub

dreama
Jun 5th, 2005, 10:07 PM
I just see meat eaters as weak or misguided. Same as I think of people I know who keep their critters in undersized cages.

tasha
Jun 5th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Yes, I understand. But I am still a little disappointed that they didn't at least teach me about vegetarianism. :(

Veganism is not openly "taught" to the general public. People go by what the food guides indicate and what nutrionists and pharmacists tell them is needed to live healthy.

Most parents probably keep the chicken nugget or the egg omelet ingrediants a secret from their children as they want to raise a healthy family. Although, it is known that we, as humans, can survive on a herbivorious diet, many people are still being told that you can only get protein, calcium, B12, etc. from consuming animal products.

I don't think that parents who do not discuss where the food all comes from are purposly trying to force animals into childrens bellies while telling a lie--I think they are simply misinformed.

This doesn't apply to only parents though, people who think about becoming vegan sometimes dismiss the idea totaly after speaking with a health professional. I was talking with a pharmacist the other day, he told me that if I was choosing this "irregular" diet, I would need lots of supplements, etc. I thought "irregular?" wow, if a professional is saying this to me, imagine how someone would feel if he/she was just taking the first steps!

We need more vegan nutritionists, pharmacists and a readily available food guide--one that doesn't show animal products as the only way to live a healthy life!

sylkan
Jun 6th, 2005, 01:06 AM

That doesn't necessarily change minds even of children who are usuallly so empathic. Maybe, one day I will take my daughter to Brooks, Alberta, the slaughterhouse capital of Canada and show her what happens to those cute cows and pigs that I talk about all the time. She knows what happens, but seeing it might make all the difference. My partner will have to come, though, because you couldn't pay me enough money to go in one of those places. 'Course, after the conversation that we had tonight, it is unlikely that he would condone something like that. His own feelings are such that he would prefer to eat meat because he likes it and simply doesn't agree that it's immoral.

I had thought that he understood, but just couldn't let go. It seems that he is very attached to meat. In fact he got very defensive when I mentioned that I would like it if we could keep meat out of the house. He told me that he resented being asked to give up something he loves and said that it would be like someone forcing me to eat meat*. I was a little shocked. Especially when I feel like every meateater I know is trying to force me to eat meat with their insulting arguments and insinuations regarding my taste and my sanity.

* By meat I mean any animal product; it's just easier to type meat.

littleTigercub
Jun 6th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Perhaps these people are feeding their thirst to murder 'other' animals? :(

This is my view, yes. I once got crucified in another forum for saying that, if there were no slaughterhouses for people to work in, they may be more violence towards humans.

But a vivisectionist whom I spoke to has once admitted that new staff need to be watched to ensure that they do not enjoy their work as research has shown that a lot of people who rape, murder, or beat people up have once been vivisectionists. This does not surprise me and I can imagine the same works for slaughterhouses.

littleTigercub

tails4wagging
Jun 6th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Some years ago a letter was printed in a newspaper about a city woman who had moved to the country to live. She went into a local butchers to ask for some lamb joints. The butcher said he had none that day but some lambs would be slaughtered the next day, she replied, horrified,'' oh, no dont kill any for me I will go to the supermarket and gets some''. Says it all really doesnt it??.

Meat in a celephane tray isnt lamb is it!!!!!!!.

Aurora
Jun 6th, 2005, 06:12 PM
I know that I am probably very lonely in my views here, but I cannot judge meat eaters. I just don`t. It`s their choice, they do not want to know or do not care enough, but who am I to judge their lifestyle or even try to change them? I have no right. At the same time, I get very upset if people try to change mine. littleTigercub

I am afraid I agree with you Tigercub. My husband and two sons are all omnivores but as they are grown up men it is up to them what they eat just as I choose what to eat and how to act. I wasn't vegetarian as a child although knowing what I know now I wish I had been.

VeganMan
Jun 6th, 2005, 06:25 PM

Almost as bad as vivisanctors!

coconut
Jun 6th, 2005, 10:32 PM
I'm not sure I know the answer to this question. I definately do not hate people who eat meat. After all I used to eat meat and my whole family eats meat still. Plus most of the meat eaters I know personally are really lovely people. About the only time I actually experience anger towards omnivorous folks is when passing fast food places, particularly Mcdonalds and KFC etc. and then I’m mostly just pissed off at those wretched companies for taking advantage of peoples’ weaknesses. I’m convinced that people would eat vegan food if they only knew it can be just as tasty or even more so than meat. So ideally meat eaters should be viewed with compassion. You’re never going to get through to anyone if you treat them with contempt.

Mystic
Jun 6th, 2005, 10:42 PM
I am afraid I agree with you Tigercub. My husband and two sons are all omnivores but as they are grown up men it is up to them what they eat just as I choose what to eat and how to act. I wasn't vegetarian as a child although knowing what I know now I wish I had been.

Count me as part of that too - many people I love are omnivores, and while sometimes people judge me, I won't judge them. Eating meat does not make someone evil, just as being a vegan doesn't automatically equal being angelic.

John
Jun 6th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Should we be angry AT people for eating meat?

I'm not angry at them but I can certainly judge that they are doing something wrong. It's like jury duty: When you are called it is your duty as a member of society to look at the facts and decide whether a person is right or wrong--and that's it. No anger, no punishment--just a judgement of the facts.

puffin
Jun 7th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Count me as part of that too - many people I love are omnivores, and while sometimes people judge me, I won't judge them. Eating meat does not make someone evil, just as being a vegan doesn't automatically equal being angelic.
Well said Banana :)

And to answer your question. I do not view them. They are just people i know who eat meat, how ever wrong i feel it is, they do not have the same views as me the same as i dont have the same views as them :)

Pilaf
Jun 7th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Well.. meat eaters are misguided and misinformed, but not necessarily "a menace to society" in and of themselves. Many people who eat meat have done good things on this planet. But... there comes a time in society when change is necessary.

Mozbee
Jun 8th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Homo Sapiens who dine on death that could be alive if it wasn't for their selfish appetite.

Tombstone
Jul 9th, 2005, 01:29 PM
If someone knows what meat is and eats it - showing that they don't care, then I blame them and consider them to be morally wrong and thorougly unpleasant. This is just my opinion of them, it's not like I attack them or throw things at them. I just feel in my mind that eating meat is a nasty cruel thing to do, and totally unnecessary. I blame them for their actions.

The notion of saying 'Well I used to eat meat so I can't hate someone for doing it' is illogical in my opinion. What is wrong with hating yourself for what you've done? Just because it was you who did it, it doesn't mean that everything you've ever done was right. I hate myself for many things I've done in my life, I don't justify something by saying that I personally have done it. It doesn't really mean anything. Using the same logic, nothing could be said to be morally wrong, even murder, as a murderer themself could say 'Well I can't hate other murderers, because I am a murderer'. Clearly that doesn't justify murder, or make it any less hatable.

But I think people should be careful if they do hate someone. People should find a way to live and communicate with each other regardless of hate. My 'friends' are all meat-eaters, and I try to behave 'normally' with them so that I get the best out of my life, rather than cutting myself off altogether. People should share their opinions and logic, and hopefully non-vegans will agree at some point and change what they're doing. I do not suggest manifesting hate against people, it is pointless.

tasha
Jul 10th, 2005, 02:09 AM
[QUOTE]The notion of saying 'Well I used to eat meat so I can't hate someone for doing it' is illogical in my opinion. What is wrong with hating yourself for what you've done?

I agree with that statement,although "hate" is too strong of a word. I do not choose my friends (nor can I choose my family) based on what they eat, that doesn't mean that inside I like what they are doing--inside I am screaming!! But I do realize that I was in their place once before, I was about 27 years old when I became a vegetarian and only just became a vegan a few months ago at 30, so I know people are capable of change; though I can be ignorant toward meat eaters at times--yes, I admit it. I think once you see the fine writing, it is hard to believe that others miss it.

I am not pleased with myself, knowing I could have made the change long ago and I think that is why I liked this statement at first glance. Change is possible--and not just for the crazy "activists" as they like to call some of us (though it is hard not to become somewhat of an activist if you are in it mainly for the anilmals, and I do act a bit "crazy" ;) ). Change is possible for anyone who has a kind heart and an open mind. I try to keep that in mind when I watch someone gobble down a hot dog--though I will never "accept" it as being ok.