PDA

View Full Version : Plantain!

Glen
Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:05 PM
I had plantain for tea last night and it was lovely, so I thouigh I'd share. I have no idea if they are fruit or veg? I think they are maybe an indian / vietnamese staple.

I did them mashed, as I would potato. Has anyone else ever eaten them? Any other good recipe ideas?

Glen :)

feline01
Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:20 PM
I love fried plaintain, not the healthiest but tasty! I believe plaintains are considered a tuber along the lines of a yam, yucca etc.. They are also nice when baked, they become really creamy. Always taste good with loads of garlic. They are a big staple amongst Puerto Ricans and Central Americans. Plaintain chips are readily available here (I work in a city with a large Hispanic population).

littleTigercub
Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:48 PM
There is a nice receipe for stuffed plaintain in "The Gate". I once tried to do it but the damn things were so hard!!!

How on earth did you actually get them to become soft enough to *mash* them???

*impressed*
littleTigercub

feline01
Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:51 PM
They have to be boiled, baked, steamed or fried. Even though they look like bananas, they are nothing like them.

littleTigercub
Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:54 PM
I grilled them, as described in the receipe, until the skin was black. They were still rock hard... @-(

littleTigercub

feline01
Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:17 PM
Did you leave the outer skin on? I've always cooked them without the peel/skin. It's rough to get off, you have to slice off both ends then make a slice down the side.

Glen
Jun 2nd, 2005, 11:06 PM
I boiled them, without the skin/peel, for 45 minutes, mashed them with soya milk and spread for like 10 minutes, then finished them with a hand blender, they were lovely.

cedarblue
Jun 3rd, 2005, 10:34 AM
I boiled them, without the skin/peel, for 45 minutes, mashed them with soya milk and spread for like 10 minutes, then finished them with a hand blender, they were lovely.

sounds like a bit of a to-do :o

littleTigercub
Jun 3rd, 2005, 07:47 PM
I had left the skin on when I grilled them. The next time I try the one with the soy milk, thanks. I would like to taste it some time, but that was for the bin... :-(

littleTigercub

adam antichrist
Jun 4th, 2005, 01:35 PM
wtf are/is plaintian/s?
Links to pics anybody?

feline01
Jun 4th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Here's a pic of fried plaintains (my favorite). Puerto Ricans fry the plaintains, the smash them and fry them again. It's called tostones and it's great.

http://www.strategixdesigns.com/jj/plaintain.jpg

Here are a bunch of plaintains, they come in different colors. Look like a bunch of banans but they can be yellow, red, green, brown or black.

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/279814/2/Plaintain_bananas.jpg

adam antichrist
Jun 4th, 2005, 02:18 PM
yum, they look... yum

Glen
Jun 4th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Green = Potato like starchy vegetable
Yellow = Sweeter, still like potato
Black = Sweet, use in desserts etc

:)