PDA

View Full Version : Soya milk in tea

Pages : [1] 2

Jill
Jun 5th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Has anyone ever put soya milk into someone's cup of tea who would normally drink cow's milk and did they notice?

Evilfluffbunny
Jun 5th, 2005, 07:11 PM
i've done this before and people haven't noticed, but I don't know if they liked it or if they were maybe just too polite to tell me I'd made them a horrible cup of tea! ;)

I wasn't too keen on the taste myself at first, but I love it now. I drank some cows milk in my tea by accident years ago and it tasted rancid - it was all greasy and oily. :p

Tigerlily
Jun 5th, 2005, 07:38 PM
I didn't like it. So now I just brew my tea a little lighter and add a little bit more sugar.

adam antichrist
Jun 5th, 2005, 08:49 PM
I switched to soy milk long before I gave up other dairy products, so all my guests got used to soy milk in tea ages ago! I always warn them though, I think the only way somebody wouldn't notice is if they are a heavy smoker.

Glen
Jun 6th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Me and my mum (Jill) had this hour long discussion over this. We are moiving house soon and we are both looking forward to it being a vegan house. But my mum wants to keep dairy milk in so that if we have guests over they can have milk in their tea. I know its only a small thing, but personally I hate the thought. We wouldn't buy them steak and cook it so why milk?

adam antichrist
Jun 6th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Do your guests keep soy for when you pop around?

Glen
Jun 6th, 2005, 11:40 AM
:) Nope

bittersweet
Jun 7th, 2005, 10:17 AM
That's a shame - at least some of the people I know keep soy milk in for us! - and I always used to for my vegan friends before I went vegan.

sugarmouse
Jun 9th, 2005, 06:06 PM
i have and some people havent noticed!!most have though.lol..buut they didnnt seem tomind just said it tasted different

cedarblue
Jun 9th, 2005, 06:10 PM
i just say we dont do cows milk but i have soya milk or they can have herb tea or black coffee.

i use soy milk for mum and dad and certain friends i know wont mind or make a fuss. unsweetened is best for newbies as it doesnt taste so sweet or 'vanilla-ry'.

my mum always gets some in for me when i visit there.

also the tea - wellll, i only drink earl grey decaf so its that or herb/fruit tea or coffee - no normal tea here! :D

Jill
Jun 12th, 2005, 11:44 AM
My Sister came round yesterday and happily had soya milk in her tea. Her friend also turned up here and she, too, was willing to try soya milk. Maybe I was worrying unnecessarily.

veganrockchick
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Heh yeah i actually offer to make the tea so i can put soya milk in and my family are yet to notice.. ahh with coffee its harder because if the waters too hot the soya milk becomes bitty!!

aubergine
Jul 4th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Hey. a quick tip with coffee. Put about 1cm deep cold water in with the coffee solids, and let the water stop boiling before you pour it in. Then when add your Soya it shouldn't be a problem.

I've found the best soya is the unsweetned non-enriched stuff. To me this tastes the most like my taste buds are expecting.

I always make the tea, but it stops me ingesting something by accident. I don't drink tea at other people's houses, but I think in future I might take my own soya with me. It's a bit too much hassle, as I don't have caffiene wither and no-one ever has decaf.

Wildflower
Jul 6th, 2005, 07:13 AM
here in the states we have a wonderful soy creamer called Silk Creamer and nothing has ever tasted better in tea! It is wonderful.

If I am out of that, I sometimes put vanilla soy in my partner's tea. He still drinks it and he is not vegan, but uses soy at home (also, i make the tea!). I don't like the milk as much as the creamer as it makes it a bit sweet.

tea here is not as commonly served as coffee. My partner is from the UK though - so his opinion can be trusted! I tried to keep milk for coffee for awhile. Then I just stopped. Even when I did use milk, I only liked skim (fat free) as that was what I was raised on and people complained then. I tell people they can have soy creamer or vanilla soymilk or drink it black. They take the soy and don't seem to complain. they usually have more than one cup even!

Cryospark
Jul 6th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Somewhere I saw something say that having soy with tea is bad for some reason, anyone come accross this? Anyone know why this might be the case.

eve
Jul 6th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Nothing wrong with having soymilk in tea or coffee. Been doing it for years! :)

bittersweet
Jul 7th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Gave the plumber (long story) tea with soy milk in yesterday, and he didn't even seem to notice - mind, he did take 2 sugars as well...

Cryospark
Jul 7th, 2005, 11:09 AM
if eve ok's it that's good enough for me :p

Anna
Aug 15th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Heh yeah i actually offer to make the tea so i can put soya milk in and my family are yet to notice.. ahh with coffee its harder because if the waters too hot the soya milk becomes bitty!!
I make coffee with soya for me everyone else has cow's milk...or they think they do LOL the trick to stop it curdling is to let the coffee cool a little first (we have filter coffee). I like it much better and have had less problems keeping it fresh than cow's milk

absentmindedfan
Aug 15th, 2005, 02:36 PM
I am very very fussy with my tea and coffee, so always make it myself. So far I've found these are the best wasy to make tea and coffee with soy milk (I always use unsweetened as I prefer it, plus it doesn't overpower the taste of the tea or coffee):

Tea: boil kettle, place tea-bag, sugar (if you have it) and small amount of milk in cup (this is the bit you need to master to get your tea as milky or strong as you wish, plus if you put the milk in first the tea doesn't tend to brew as strong so you shouldn't need as much milk added.) Allow kettle to boil and leave until bubbling has stopped and kettle has calmed down. Add water and allow bag the brew for a few seconds, then stir it and squeeze it until the tea looks as strong as you want it.

Coffee:boil kettle, put coffee, sugar and milk into cup (you'll need more milk in the coffee cup than in the tea cup.) Once kettle has boiled leave for at least 5 minutes. Add about a third of a cup of water, stir, and add rest in bits stirring between each addition. The soy milk separates because the water is too close to boiling, so letting it cool a little avoids this.

Rooibosch Tea:same as tea before but much less milk as this tea isn't as strong. I find just enough to cover the bottom of the cup is fine. Add water as before but try and pour it onto the tea bag as this helps infusion. Keep stirring it to give required strength.

See-I told you I was fussy!:D

harpy
Aug 15th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I don't think it would be a good idea to give someone soy milk in their tea or coffee without mentioning it as some people are allergic to it.

However I find that when I say to visitors "is soy milk OK?" they almost always say OK and then drink it, so it can't be that much of a shock! I think people are getting used to it here as a lot of non-vegans drink soy milk thinking it's better for them for one reason or another.

urbandryad
Aug 15th, 2005, 06:10 PM
never had. Since I never take milk in my tea, its never come up for me. I don't entertain guests though, thats the kind of thing that happens when you live in a seedy tiny bachelorette. XD

shez
May 22nd, 2007, 04:20 PM
i have to say i prefer soya milk in my tea. before i went vegan i used to drink "normal" milk in my tea, but when i met my girlfriend she introduced me to the soya milk, i prefered it much more. However i didnt think i would 11 years ago when i went vege i tried soya and thought it was horrible. i think it has improved over the years. my sister ( her boyfriend and daughter) are also vegetarian but they also have soya not cows milk. I have a friend who is not even a vege but drinks soya instead of "normal". when my mum comes over she will drink soya but if she is stayin over she'll often bring a little bottle of milk for her morning tea, which i dont mind to much. Any she doesn't use she will dispose of. If people come round i always say that its soya.

Just wondering has anyone had a problem with someone havin soya in their tea without you tellin' them? you know, when they find out their like dont put your veg*nism on me sort of thing??

Hemlock
May 22nd, 2007, 07:59 PM
I hate black tea so I've stopped drinking it and soya milk in tea and coffee is horrible.
I drink black coffee or green tea weak.

emmapresley
May 22nd, 2007, 08:04 PM
nettle tea all the way!! :D

isn't having milk in tea just habit? apologies if i'm wrong..or it's just opinion. :confused: i'm unsure why i made this post. haha

edit...in empathy with urbandryad a bit....i don't keep coffee in my house anymore..or usually 'normal' teabags..i have what i like to drink..but certain people complain when they are here and tell me i'm inconsiderate for not keeping a supply of coffee/tea/marvel?!!?!? for when they come round. what's next ovaltine? naff off, don't think so...