PDA

View Full Version : Avocado

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Mystic
Jun 6th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Do you like avocado? Avocado is one of the main staples of my diet and I am surprised to learn that there are many veg*ans who don't like it! In my life I have met one hater of avocado. I don't know how anyone could not like it! What are your thoughts?

Nivvie
Jun 6th, 2005, 10:47 PM
How do you know when they're ready?

I bought one and it was really squishy, like goo, and tasted foul.
Is that normal?

Mystic
Jun 6th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Avocado needs to be somewhat firm, but 'spreadable'. I hate it when it goes brown, or when it is too hard.

Realfood Mary
Jun 6th, 2005, 10:54 PM
I made sushi today with avocado.

The way I make sushi is I get plain cooked rice (much cheaper than the sushi rice) and make it sticky by stirring in tahini. When the rice has bound with the tahini, I spread it on the nori, and add my favourite bits of filling. Slices of avocado work beautifullly! So too does my recent discovery of pickled tofu.

You know a recipe works when your son gets home from school and says "Mum, can we make sushi?"

The version with avocado is full of essential fatty acids and iodine (well, the iodine is in the seaweed.) So it is good for your brain, as well as delicious.

Yes, I adore avocado! Love it, love it, love it.

It is 11 o clock at night, and I am going to eat an avocado. Thanks for making me hungry Banana! As if calling yourself banana wasn't temptation enough... :p

Mary

Artichoke47
Jun 7th, 2005, 01:22 AM
I like avocado a lot, too, especially in the form of guacamole. I've been feasting on vegan parfaits too much as of late, though.

adam antichrist
Jun 7th, 2005, 01:46 AM
How do you know when they're ready?

I bought one and it was really squishy, like goo, and tasted foul.
Is that normal?

Hold it in your hand, and it should be firm. Gently press the top where it was attached to the stalk and it should be soft if ripe. If unripe, avocados are bloody horrible.

my3labs
Jun 7th, 2005, 02:42 AM
Yummy! Love them! I eat them as a sandwich with sliced avacado and sprouts on whole grain bread. I eat them in tortilla soup or as guac. And sometimes just plain.
We had an exchange student from Germany a year ago and she ate them with lemon, I think?

Roxy
Jun 7th, 2005, 05:42 AM
I LOVE IT!

my3labs
Jun 7th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Avacado sandwiches, guac, tortilla soup! Love it!

kriz
Jun 7th, 2005, 07:04 AM
I eat avacado everyday...on sandwiches...in salads...YUM!!

Aurora
Jun 7th, 2005, 02:56 PM
I love it. Only ever have Avocado or Hummus with my salads, maybe with a little grated soya cheese occasionally.

ConsciousCuisine
Jun 7th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Yummy! Love them! I eat them as a sandwich with sliced avacado and sprouts on whole grain bread. I eat them in tortilla soup or as guac. And sometimes just plain.
We had an exchange student from Germany a year ago and she ate them with lemon, I think?

Well, I am not from Gemany but I too enjoy them with just lemon! :)

I can't think of a way I *don't* like avocado! Sometimes as a treat, I give my daughter an avocado half with umeboshi, nutritional yeast, lemon and a bit of garlic in the center...it's delicious! (and to think, some children eat POP-TARTS for breakfast!!! :( )

feline01
Jun 7th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Avocados taste so decadent. I love them as well.

Tigerlily
Jun 7th, 2005, 04:13 PM
My parents don't like them, so they never bought them, thus I have never tasted it before.

But I think I want to now!

Gorilla
Jun 7th, 2005, 04:26 PM
i love guacamole, and i like fresh avocado but i don't buy them very often because the only ones i can buy locally are usually poor quality and very expensive.

Kiva Dancer
Jun 7th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Definately do, tigerlilly. Avocadoes are such wonderful, wonderful things. :)

Avocados = yummy! I like them best with a bit of lime and some sea salt. I'll eat them by themselves or on/in just about everything. My favorite way to eat them is in a veggie sandwich with smashed up avocado in place of the vegan mayonnaise.

littleTigercub
Jun 7th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I like avocado (although not as much as hummous) but I also used to avoid them because of the fat.

Since I have dropped the cheese, I eat them with the best of confidence because I consider them as an "instead" rather than "as well".

LittleTigercub

Realfood Mary
Jun 7th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Try half an avocado with hummous inside and a dinky wee olive on top.

Best of all worlds...

Mary

Brownie
Jun 7th, 2005, 07:53 PM
I could never stand avacados or guacamole.

The texture and the flavor disgusts me.

I'd much rather eat fruits and raw veggies like carrots, celery, and cucumbers. :)

Kiva Dancer
Jun 8th, 2005, 10:26 PM
I like avocado (although not as much as hummous) but I also used to avoid them because of the fat.

Since I have dropped the cheese, I eat them with the best of confidence because I consider them as an "instead" rather than "as well".

LittleTigercub And don't forget that avocados have the heart healthy fat, not the bad stuff. :)

.... anything for a healthy heart, right? :D :D :D

bittersweet
Jun 9th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Avocados are icky - fatty and bland and horrid. I really don't get why my partner loves them so much.

Realfood Mary
Jun 9th, 2005, 10:45 AM
I am eating avocado for breakfast! I chopped it up, stirred in some chinese pickled tofu (which tastes like a very strong cheese, even though it is red from the red rice wine) and sprinkled over some nutritional yeast.

Despite what it sounds like, I am not pregnant! I just love tofu. :D

Mary

spo
Jun 9th, 2005, 10:49 AM
I love avocado too. I eat them almost everyday. :)
But, RfMary, where can I get my hands on some Chinese pickled Tofu??
I've looked in health food stores, and even, a Chinese grocery, so I am lost. It does sound yummy! :D
spo

Realfood Mary
Jun 9th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Chinese pickled tofu comes in a clay jar with a lid on it. Look out for one of those - if you can't find any I will find out what it is called in Chinese so you can ask that way. :D

And yes, it is beautiful. I am going to ask my supplier (moohahaha! The man... well, woman really) if you can pickle your own using chinese red rice wine.

Mary

spo
Jun 9th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks, Mary
I am going back and re-check. If not, maybe the red rice wine would work out. Oh, no, my mouth is watering already!! :)
spo