PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom teeth

Pages : [1] 2

Zool
Jun 5th, 2005, 06:03 PM
I have a bit of a problem. This coming week I'm going to the dentist to have 5 teeth extracted. (4 wisdom and a bottom front.) I usually eat a lot of fresh fruits & veggies, rice, and cereal and things. Unfortunately I won't be able to eat any of these things for a pretty long while. I need all the suggestions I can get for soft food and stuff that won't get stuck in the holes while I'm healing. I've been trying to find vegan meal replacement shakes but haven't had much luck. The next week or two is really going to suck. Any help is appriciated. Thanks.

Tigerlily
Jun 7th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Smoothies? Add ground flax seeds or flax oil for extra nutrition.

Apple sauce with added ground flax?

Non-dairy puddings? I buy some prepackaged stuff that's pretty high in protein (5g per 125ml).

Mashed potatoes? Mashed sweet potatoes? Blend up some steamed veggies to make a "vegetable mash"?

Bananas could be good too, especially the ripe ones (much softer than green ones).

Zool
Jun 7th, 2005, 04:39 PM
I'm all over the mashed potatoes. Apple sauce is a very good idea, that hadn't ever occured to me. Sadly, I even considered baby food for a little while. Just too bad those jars are so damned small. :)

Kiva Dancer
Jun 7th, 2005, 04:45 PM
If you have a blender, I would suggest whirring things that you normally eat to a very soft stage. Harder fruits like apples and pears can be made into applesauce or pearsauce and softer fruits can be made into smoothies. Steam some veggies and whirr them with your rice or make a root veggie soup or a root veggie mash and puree that till soft.

Before you go in, you might want to start cooking some soft meals to store in the freezer because afterwards, you won't feel like cooking at all.

adam antichrist
Jun 7th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Soy yoghurt, yum! I'd love an excuse to live off that for a week.
Reminds me, I'm due for a dentist visit...
:(

tails4wagging
Jun 7th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Can I ask why you are having the four wisdom teeth removed, sounds a bit drastic for such a young person!!???.

Pilaf
Jun 7th, 2005, 09:46 PM
My dentist tried to talk me into having mine removed. He only wanted more money..it's usually not necessary.

Mystic
Jun 7th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Butterbean and herb cream soup (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2318&highlight=butterbean+herb+cream+soup) would be wonderful. I ate this when my wisdoms were taken out. Any smooth soups will do - pumpkin, potato & leek, lentil etc...

Overcooked noodles and pasta were easy to eat as well, just plain with olive oil and garlic (tomato sauce stings)

Banana based smoothies are fantastic - like Tigerlily said, flaxseeds/oil or even nut butters are nutritious ways to liven them up.

Mushed up pumpkin, if you don't like potato.

Vegan Ice cream

Dates are soft and gooey (any excuse will do)

Zool
Jun 7th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Thank you for all the great suggestions. Today I got some yams, apple sauce, lots of soy milk for shakes, some flax seed meal, and even found some vegan pudding mix. (A lot of sugary food I know.) Canned beans are pretty mushy too. I plan on eating a lot of cold food. It'll probably feel better on my mouth and help with swelling. I figure a weeks sugar binge won't kill me. Compared to the typical U.S. diet, I'll still be a saint.

As far as the dental work goes: My bottom 2 wisdoms are slightly impacted and need to be removed before they start causing me pain. I've seen the x-rays myself. The rest of my teeth are pretty crowded and as all the wisdoms try to grow in, it's crowding the rest further. Even the top ones. I feel it's better to just bite the bullet and get all of them removed at once. At least now I won't have to go back for the second 2 later and be in misery all over again. One hell week and I'm done.

As far as money goes, I don't pay anything for dental work. My dentists are military employed so they don't make any extra money for pulling extra teeth either. In fact, I'm better off getting as much work done as I can while it's free. I may even get braces after this extraction. At least this way I'll have everything taken care of by the time I get out in a few years. (I can't wait to get out... What the hell was I thinking?) Then I won't have to pay anything out of my own pocket.

Once again thank you all for the ideas. I'll be wearing my blender out. :D
Tomorrow morning's the day of pain. I might post again all drugged up and swollen, drooling on my keyboard to let you know how it went & how the foods are working out.

Kasey
Jun 8th, 2005, 12:17 AM
I actually just had all four taken out on Friday.

I thought applesauce was the best. I also had vegan ice cream, vegan mashed potatoes, and bread.

Just make sure you don't eat anything seedy/grainy, and definitely do not use a straw for anything..

And best wishes, it's quite the experience, but the pain killers make things much easier.

tails4wagging
Jun 8th, 2005, 06:57 AM
On another thread someone is having their wisdom teeth removed. Is it a modern fad of dentists to encourage young healthy people to have their teeth removed??.

I am nearly 56 and still have three of mine, one removed as I had ground it down to the gum. Surely we have been given wisdom teeth for a reason!!.

What does other folks think?

littleTigercub
Jun 8th, 2005, 07:18 AM
I think it`s a a cosmetic issue. I had mine removed before they came out because my gum was too small and they would have pushed all my other teeth together which would have been very unsightly.

littleTigercub

Roxy
Jun 8th, 2005, 07:30 AM
I had mine out when I was in high school because they were causing me unbearable pain.

Glen
Jun 8th, 2005, 10:20 AM
I had one of mine removed because I needed a brace which couldn't have been fitted if it had have been left. If I hadn't have had a brace, I probably would have had more serious problems later on.

clawsy
Jun 8th, 2005, 10:32 AM
I have had 3 out and all of them have caused me trouble.

the first 2 i had taken out as soon as they came thru. The third one i kept in for a while but it was getting infected and was painful and annoying.

The one that is left in is a pain, it is hurting right now, and my jaw seems inflamed and saw around it.. they always seem to start pushing through when i am stressed out... >:( and if i get the flu or a mouth ucler, this tooth area also flares up...it is like if something is wrong with my mouth or throat then it decides to join in with it.

Veganbear
Jun 8th, 2005, 11:02 AM
I think a lot of people get them out because they're impacted (growing in sideways). If they keep growing in sideways, they can break your other back teeth. Me and my sister both got ours out because they were growing in sideways.

Evilfluffbunny
Jun 8th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Aaargh, this topic terrifies me! :eek: I'm not usually scared of dentists but the thought of needing my wisdom teeth out really bothers me - I'm not sure if I have enough room for them back there.

foxytina_69
Jun 8th, 2005, 11:43 AM
i had mine out because there was no room and they were causing alot of headaches.

Kumem
Jun 8th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Aaargh, this topic terrifies me! :eek: I'm not usually scared of dentists but the thought of needing my wisdom teeth out really bothers me - I'm not sure if I have enough room for them back there.

Me too! Don't mind dentists normally. I refused to have mine out, so my teeth are all a little wonky now. Used to get infected a lot and swollen, but haven't had problems for about 6 months or so.

Liz

DoveInGreyClothing
Jun 8th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Mainly for hygeine issues, some people's wisdom teeth grow too far back in their mouths to brush properly, my dentist is keeping an eye on mine and considering removal depending how they grow in.

The cosmetic thing: apparently it also accentuates your cheekbones if the teeth are removed.

Tigerlily
Jun 8th, 2005, 02:50 PM
I had braces and if I let my wisdom teeth grow in, they will push on my other teeth and "ruin" my teeth that my parents paid so much to fix.

adam antichrist
Jun 8th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Tis better to get them all done at once, I had an horrific wisdom tooth experience at age 21... got one side extracted and was supposed to return for the others the following week, but never went back! It took that long for the bruises on my chest from the trainee dentists' knee, which was there for about an hour as he prized the stubbornest tooth ever from my head.

I feel safe to say this now, since you've probably had the procedure completed :p

adam antichrist
Jun 8th, 2005, 05:00 PM
There just is no room in my mouth for my wisodms. They never came through properly, food collected on them and they got nasty cavities. I've still got one though.

My gums are fkd. They bleed at the drop of a hat- brushing, eating, anything but kissing it seems makes them bleed. A few years back, before I was vegan I took up eating fish for a year because I read in some hippy health book that fish is good for gingivitis (gum disease). It said eat it twice a week, but since I had been a staunch vego (for a vego- how little did I know!) for several years I only really managed once a week. Anyway, I gave it a fair go of 12 months but it made no difference, and so I couldn't justify it any further. That was 18 months before I went vegan, I think.

Aurora
Jun 8th, 2005, 05:08 PM
3 of mine were impacted so I had to have all four of them out. It was a very painful experience if I remember correctly and I looked like a chipmunk for at least a week afterwards!

Gorilla
Jun 8th, 2005, 05:32 PM
my wisdom teeth have only come through halfway and every so often they start to get really sore. my dentist isn't particularly keen on taking them out unless they get really bad, so i have to put up with the pain. they're really difficult to brush too because they're not through properly.