PDA

View Full Version : nuclear power

Pages : [1] 2

eve
Jun 9th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Prime Minister John Howard says he would welcome a debate about the use of nuclear power in Australia. He says there are vast supplies of uranium in Australia which could provide an alternative fuel source to coal or gas, and that Australia is mature enough to participate in a robust debate on issues associated with the use of nuclear power.

Mr Howard is the latest in a line of Australian politicians to suggest the country should debate the use of nuclear power, including Treasurer Peter Costello, Science Minister Brendan Nelson, New South Wales Premier Bob Carr, and former leader of the Greens, Labor backbencher Peter Garrett. Nuff said.

adam antichrist
Jun 9th, 2005, 09:44 AM
It's only a matter of time I suppose. In a country where there is enough coastline to have wind generated energy for all 20 million of us...

Zool
Jun 9th, 2005, 02:53 PM
I work with nuclear power for the time being. It's definitely cleaner and more efficient then burning coal or other fossil fuels so it's a very small step in the right direction. But I agree, I don't know why they don't look more towards wind power. Wind is free, clean, with obviously no waste. It's all politics and money I suppose.

Mozbee
Jun 9th, 2005, 06:34 PM
In the UK some greenish-types are saying nuclear energy is the only way - I don't know. They come across with pro-nuclear arguments which appear valid enough though.

puffin
Jun 10th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I work with nuclear power for the time being. It's definitely cleaner and more efficient then burning coal or other fossil fuels so it's a very small step in the right direction. But I agree, I don't know why they don't look more towards wind power. Wind is free, clean, with obviously no waste. It's all politics and money I suppose.
I totally agree that the Government should be investing in wind farms. I live near the fens so it would be a fantastic place to put in wind turbines but there are people around here that dont want then thinking they are ugly and would spoil the views and they produce to much noise, there have been a few protests to stop them being put up. If they are put up in a built up area then i could understand peoples concerns but the fens is a vast area and you can travel for miles without seeing a house. :confused:

adam antichrist
Jun 10th, 2005, 12:54 PM
They are definately a blight on the landscape but certainly no uglier than chernobyl...

What would be great is if they could get a non-invasive way of drawing energy from the ocean. Waves have immense potential energy which turns mountains into sand, if they could harness that some way...

puffin
Jun 10th, 2005, 01:03 PM
They are definately a blight on the landscape but certainly no uglier than chernobyl...

I think they look lovely but i know everyone doesnt agree. I couldnt agree more though, chernobyl or a wind farm ummmm let me think ;)

Kumem
Jun 10th, 2005, 03:34 PM
I totally agree that the Government should be investing in wind farms. I live near the fens so it would be a fantastic place to put in wind turbines but there are people around here that dont want then thinking they are ugly and would spoil the views and they produce to much noise, there have been a few protests to stop them being put up. If they are put up in a built up area then i could understand peoples concerns but the fens is a vast area and you can travel for miles without seeing a house. :confused:

I have seen the stuff about people not wanting them near their homes. It's bizarre around here, as like you say, there is so much flat land in the middle of nowhere.

Mozbee
Jun 10th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Fart Farms are very nice to look at so what if they hum a bit atleast they don't smell! :D Some people (David Bellamy for one) have voiced concerns that wind farms won't produce consistant electricity, coz it's not always windy (they need more vegans - don't they!?):) Surely the met office must have data relating to hot spots for windy activity, especially offshore areas?;)

adam antichrist
Jun 11th, 2005, 03:06 AM
It's a good point, but shouldn't we make a few sacrifices for the sake of preserving the atmosphere? I guess as vegans it is natural for us to consider sacrificing our wants but for the rest of society it would be very rude to ask them to not turn on their TV or leave lights off for a while.

Mozbee
Jun 11th, 2005, 01:26 PM
More solar panels and make low energy light bulbs the new norm light bulb!
As you say Adam water energy can be harnessed using the old turbine method surely?

terrace max
Jun 11th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Perhaps your prime minister and ours share the same brain?? After helping secure what's left of the world's oil by killing hundreds of thousands in Iraq, Tony Blair is also starting to talk up nuclear power. Trouble is, even if we put up with the occasional Chernobyl, what do we do with the waste?

Renewables aren't even a partial solution to the energy crisis. There's a proposal to build 27 giant wind turbines just outside the English Lake District. A leading UK environmentalist, George Monbiot, came up with these stunning (to me) facts:

[This] project, by replacing energy generation from power stations burning fossil fuel, will reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 178,000 tonnes per year. This is impressive, until you discover that a single jumbo jet, flying from London to Miami and back every day, releases the climate change equivalent of 520,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide per year. One daily connection between Britain and Florida costs three giant wind farms.

Kind of puts things in perspective. Can I recommend www.peakoil.org to scare you all even more?!

adam antichrist
Jun 12th, 2005, 02:33 AM
As you say Adam water energy can be harnessed using the old turbine method surely?

Don't think so, as the water had to move in one direction for them to work, eg river current which is driven by gravity. Wave energy has negative and positive directions as it is driven by the wind working against the tide.

adam antichrist
Jun 12th, 2005, 02:41 AM
[This] project, by replacing energy generation from power stations burning fossil fuel, will reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 178,000 tonnes per year. This is impressive, until you discover that a single jumbo jet, flying from London to Miami and back every day, releases the climate change equivalent of 520,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide per year. One daily connection between Britain and Florida costs three giant wind farms.

Australian ELectricity company called Energy Australia has a tiny box on your bill which says how many litres of CO2 were produced by your energy usage. Most people wouldn't have a clue but if you've studied chemistry you know that 22.4 litres (or something like that, I have to forget these old figures to remember new more important ones :p ) of any gas at room temperature is the size of approx a 50cm cube... my electricity usage in a 3 month period was I estimate enough to fill my local supermarket.

Iraq will have no economy once the oil has all been stolen, perhaps we can sell nuclear waste to them! After all, the US thinks nothing of using depleted uranium (http://www.iacenter.org/depleted/du.htm) there so the country is already turning toxic from radiation.

cookie
Jun 12th, 2005, 05:37 PM
There are some ways of harnessing wave energy, http://www.darvill.clara.net/altenerg/wave.htm for example. I live in Cornwall when I'm not at university and feel quite passionate about the whole energy crisis. Cornwall has a massive coast and largly unpopulated areas so would be perfect for wind or wave (or ideally a combination) generators. Unfortuantly its also a fairly poor county and can't afford schemes like the one run by wavegen. http://www.wavegen.co.uk/

Sorry for the rant, as I said its a subject I feel strongly about. :o

terrace max
Jun 12th, 2005, 09:34 PM
I ...feel quite passionate about the whole energy crisis.

Have you read 'The End of Oil' by Paul Roberts? I confess I didn't know a thing about the subject until I read this book and now I can't stop thinking/talking about it...! In fact, I'm packing my bag and heading for the hills now...

Cryospark
Jun 13th, 2005, 09:12 AM
yay i can post :)
People down victor harbor way were spose to get those windmills but the oldies protested it because of it being an eyesore. I kinda think that's really selfish vanity... The generation they came from kinda has left alot of problems now yet they don't want to start to mend anything.

I'm not to up on the mechanics of a turbine windmill or whatever you call it but im pretty sure wind is pretty much a constant moving force especially at high altitude, the windmills would prolly be designed very well and the slightest air current would have them going.

There are many energy technologies going around nuclear seems like it would do some damage to the earth heh, first we mess up the atmosphere then the crust don't sound too great to me.

Hydrogenerated power requires a river with a strong flow to damn. We are a very dry country and do not have a high land level either, and our rivers are very much drying up atm.

The latest designed nuclear plants say that they cannot meltdown coz of their design with constant motion of the rods, but that waste produced......
And do we really want some stuff easily made into a bomb considerin any punk can find instructions on how to make one these days

Solar power is harnessable this is what we should all have. Their reasons for not using it seem to me like shear laziness....we kinda had a 9.6 billion dollar surplus last i heard....they could deck out every house in australia with solar power easily they just don't, stupid really, not like power companies are government owned now....

eve
Jun 13th, 2005, 09:31 AM
hi Cryospark - so the oldies objected to the wind farms? Well as an oldie, I must tell you that when I was up at Atherton area last year, I visited a windfarm site, and thought it looked beautiful. I've also been to Victor Harbour, and can't imagine a windfarm being successful there as it is pretty low lying.

Anyhow, energy from wind or sun must be superior to nuclear - for one thing, there's no waste! :)

adam antichrist
Jun 13th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Anyhow, energy from wind or sun must be superior to nuclear - for one thing, there's no waste! :)

And another, no fuel requiring mining (only the raw materials of the mechanisms)

Cryospark
Jun 13th, 2005, 09:44 AM
hehe I looked at one of the cons for wind power and endangerment to birds was there....I think birds can handle themself. If birds being endangered made any differrence to technological advancement, we wouldn't have planes or aircraft of any kind. I just can't believe some stupidity sometimes. Do birds breath co2 ? I think the birds might enjoy sitting on the windmills and having a lil spin.

Well I like the look of the windmills myself maybe they could make them sparkle like those lil pinwheels that would sort the victor harbor ppl out now wouldn't it ;p

When will keanu get his frequency right then we will be all set :D

Hasha
Jun 13th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Have you read 'The End of Oil' by Paul Roberts? I confess I didn't know a thing about the subject until I read this book and now I can't stop thinking/talking about it...! In fact, I'm packing my bag and heading for the hills now...

Hi! Let me jump in. The only book I ever read on the subject was The Party's Over by Richard Heinberg. It was pretty good, though you can find most of the information in it online. There's a number of related websites, for example, Life After the Oil Crash (http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net), Die Off (http://www.dieoff.org), From the Wilderness (http://www.fromthewilderness.com), Culture Change (http://www.culturechange.org). And then there are a couple of Yahoo groups dealing with the forthcoming energy crisis: RunningOnEmpty2 and RunningOnEmpty3. So if anyone's interested in the subject...

adam antichrist
Jun 14th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Just found an intersting link on cold fusion (http://world.std.com/~mica/jetprdxn.html). This site explains the basis in fairly simple language, I failed first year physics and know that this concept contains elements beyond my understanding but this site (a transcript from a radio interview) explains it nicely.

I'm not sure about potential hazards of cold fusion, I mean nobody could foresee the greenhouse effect during the industrial revolution, could they? These guys are pioneers in the field so they won't be highlighting any grave dangers :rolleyes:

Incidently, Dr Mallove (one of the three scientists interviewed) was murdered in May last year and the police just charged a guy last week over it.

Cryospark
Jun 14th, 2005, 02:02 PM
hehe yah that's what i was referring to with the keanu comment, perhaps you could watch the movie the saint also hehe, movies are very educational.

This type of energy as shown in the movies would mess with the economy and such, it may have already been utilized and the information stored somewhere for slow release over time, that guy killed could have figured it out.

government agencies do alot of harm when they are in the publics service, who knows what they are up to.

Maybe I should look into this make it work and then be killed eh...
I think many people should have already been aware of this technology but yah so far nothing publicly successful obviously otherwise we'd be sorted

adam antichrist
Jun 15th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Another green power source to go ahead in victoria

from todays age online:

Mega-wind farm wins local support
June 15, 2005 - 4:01PM

Landowners have hailed today's approval of a Victoria's second-biggest wind farm - a $326 million project with 128 turbines - at Waubra in central Victoria.

Luke Molloy was one of many Waubra farmers offered lucrative annual payments to have wind turbines on their properties.

He is delighted the project will go ahead following today's go-ahead by Planning Minister Rob Hulls.

"I was always keen on the idea, actually,'' Mr Molloy said. "It was something that I thought would be good for the town and never objected to it at all,'' he told theage.com.au.

Tensions in the town over the proposal flared up last year when a meeting of opponents was closed early because of a bomb threat later found to be a hoax.

But Mr Molloy played down the opposition.

"I'd say the town overwhelmingly supports it,'' he said. "There's a few who were against it and a few who were sitting on the fence, but the more information they've found out I think they've seen the benefits the community's going to have out of them (the turbines).''
Mr Molloy, who is also treasurer of Waubra Football Club, believes many residents have been swayed by the company's commitment to provide funds for a community development fund.

"There's going to be a certain amount (of money) channelled in each year and that is to be divided up (between local clubs) by a committee, so there'll be lots of benefits for the whole town,'' he said.

Melbourne-based company Wind Power will place the turbines on land leased farmers.

The 128 turbines are capable of generating 192 megawatts of power or one fifth of the 1000-megawatt renewable energy target Victoria aims to achieve by 2006.

Mr Hulls said 57 submissions were received, of which 23 were opposed to the proposal.

"The establishment of this wind farm will lead to significant greenhouse benefits, which will make a major contribution to achieving sustainable energy objectives in Victoria," he said.

"The approval for the Waubra development brings the number of wind farms in Victoria to six, with Toora, Codrington and Challicum Hills operational, and construction underway at Wonthaggi and Portland."

But renegade MP Diane Hadden, who left the Labor Party in protest over its regional policies, has criticised the Government for not allowing enough community consultation.

Ms Hadden, the upper house member for Ballarat province, also slammed the company Wind Power for signing up farmers to lease their land before the project was even approved.

Cryospark
Jun 19th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Ok there are so many technologies on power generation available just take a look around the web.
There is tesla coils these produce more then 5 times the energy you put into them
It's possible to power your house from radiowave technology
stuff like that
there is over 20 patents on free energy sources yet we still use fossil fuels what a waste of coal, it's like the best fertiliser it has old material traces not sapped yet by man.....