PDA

View Full Version : Searching For Friends Nearby

Pages : 1 [2]

smvillers
Jun 23rd, 2005, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I think living in Milwaukee or Madison would make things easier. I'm not so sure about the rest of Wisconsin. :D The people (at least in my area) are pretty open-minded and accepting, but the selection of restaurants sucks and the veg*n community is pretty much non-existant.

my3labs
Jun 30th, 2005, 05:25 AM
I'm a moldy Oregonian (get it? rains alot here = mold? hehe ok i'm odd) ...not too many west coasters here I've noticed.

Seattle, WA. I guess that makes me a moldy Washingtonian :)

Pilaf
Jul 1st, 2005, 09:56 PM
So.... no Tennessee vegans here? I know there's an entire sanctuary somewhere in Tennessee for vegans. I guess I'm the only one on this message board. :(

Wildflower
Jul 6th, 2005, 03:58 AM
I live in Kenosha, too. Actually Pleasant Prairie, which is kind of a suburb of Kenosha.

Wow - do you ever go to Woodman's? They have a HUGE selection of vegan foods and even organic produce and they are the cheapest grocery store on the planet.

Also, they have tons of ethnic foods (british/indian/mexican). I guess british isn't really ethnic...you know what I mean! :p

I love that place, when I lived over the border in IL we would drive up there (open 24hours and cheap is good for college students) now I reside in Milwaukee and drive down a lot.

Cheap vegan food gets me off, what can I say?

Wildflower
Jul 6th, 2005, 04:37 AM
hey SMVILLERS!

im from the big wi too!

i think this place is good on a scale of vegan friendlyness i give it a 6.
you just have to look hard!

but then im in the city.

I live in Milwaukee too, moved here almost 5 years ago from Chicago area.

It is not soooo bad here for vegans, where as the people and culture (at least at the places i have worked and the people i have met) is on the "old school" and close minded side :rolleyes: - there have to be a lot of open minded people I just haven't met, as there is no shortage of vegan food brands stocked at the HFS as far as I can see. A lot of groceries carry some vegan things as well. Woodman's in Pleasant Praire is a favorite of mine. You are right, you just have to know where to look. ;) Not that I need to be stocking up on vegan cheetos (Tings!) and other vegan specific foods. A normal grocery carries all the vegan foods I need - they are called fruits, veggies and grains! But you know, it's fun to have tofurky and go out for vegan biscuits and gravy now and then!

I know a few others on the board are from the area as well.

I think it's really cool that Vegan Essentials (http://www.veganessentials.com) is located here - has anyone been there? They are primarily online but opened a small store last year to the public (or maybe it is just off the warehouse). I plan to go to the store this week since I am on vacation and they are only open during the day.

Also, has anyone been to East Side Ovens? They are a vegan bakery located down in Bayview I believe...their goods are sold at Beans and Barley (http://www.beansandbarley.com), Outpost (http://www.outpostnaturalfoods.coop/) and lots of coffee shops/resturaunts in the area. They are very yummy! I stock up on cakes and cupcakes like mad when I am at B&B and I see them on the day old discount rack! Rumour is that the shop is only open to public on Saturday mornings...some day I will make it there!

Any tips for places you go?

Wildflower
Jul 6th, 2005, 04:45 AM
So.... no Tennessee vegans here? I know there's an entire sanctuary somewhere in Tennessee for vegans. I guess I'm the only one on this message board. :(

I was just on a site yesterday that had a link to that place! It was a commune, but you could stay there as well - it was called The Farm I believe? It looked awesome!