PDA

View Full Version : Dying for Dairy

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Mystic
Jul 7th, 2004, 02:36 AM
Hi guys... I have been craving dairy products for weeks now, particularly yoghurt. Yesterday it got so bad that I actually bought some, but I haven't eaten it. I cannot stop thinking about how much I want it and how much easier it would be if I was just vegetarian. (As most of you have probably read, I HATE soy products, especially yoghurt...so there is no substitute). I have rice milk on my cereal every day.

I have been discussing it with my boyfriend and he doesn't think it is worth it to give up my morals for yoghurt...and he is an omnivore.
What do you guys do when you are just dying for something that you cannot substitute?[/color]
Also, do any of you know of a vegan white chocolate? I want to make white chocolate and macadamia cookies (an old favourite as well)

foxytina_69
Jul 7th, 2004, 02:49 AM
maybe u are just low on calcium. often when u are craving things, u are low on whatever it is that is in it. maybe u need a calcium supplement?

when i crave meat, i eat protien filled foods and it goes away. when im craving cheese, i eat calcium filled foods.

globesetter
Jul 7th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Yoghurt was just about the only dairy I at eon a regular basis before I was vegan - I had some soy yoghurt when I first made the transition, buit I also donīt like them much, and I avoid all processed foods anyway.

I agree that a craving is usually a sign that you are missing some vitamin or mineral, probably calcium in this case.

Regarding substitutes, they donīt have to be exactly the same thing - like soy yoghurt for regular yoghurt. Some of our eating habits have little to do with the actual food, but with the mood, manner of eating, etc. So, that means that a substitute just has to fill the habit - I drink soy shakes now instead of eating yoghurt - since you donīt like soy milk, you could make them with rice or almond milk - I use banana, frozen berries, flax seed, a bit of molasses.

In the end, if you are really having a mad craving, and you give in to it - you may find that you donīt have the taste for it anymore - the last time I has something with a bit of dairy in it, I felt like I ate glue and got a stomachache - giving in to your craving might actually cure you of it.

Good luck.
globesetter

Korn
Jul 7th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Hi Banana, it might help to consider your youghurt cravings not to be about yoghurt at all, but an exercise in dropping the past and letting go of old habits. Many vegans-in-transition eat an occasional whatever-hangup-they-have to make life easier in the initial period. Trust me, old habits will die if you don't nourish them.

It's just like being on holiday in a country where you can't buy the food stuff you're used to: it's better to enjoy the sun and the new things you can eat, instead of focusing on what you can't get. Personally I went vegan overnight, but had strong cravings for a lot of things after that, and switched back and forth several times before I ended up in a situation where I know I won't go back to cheese, yoghurt or meat again.

I guess you just need some time to adjust. I'll bet a box of bananas that you won't regret - just be patient and accept where you are in this process right now - a useful, general trick that I often find useful in my own life . :)

Artichoke47
Jul 7th, 2004, 12:38 PM
www.veganstore.com has white chocolate chips.

Think of the cruelty involved in cow milk products. They're not suitable for humans, anyway. ;)

foxytina_69
Jul 7th, 2004, 12:57 PM
It's just like being on holiday in a country where you can't buy the food stuff you're used to: it's better to enjoy the sun and the new things you can eat, instead of focusing on what you can't get

i love that idea!

gertvegan
Jul 7th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Imo cravings are explanations for people being too attached to their food, being addicted, and having to rely on certain foods to improve certain moods as mentioned. As also mentioned, its new foods, not necessary alternatives. Maybe it doesn't help banana, but thought I'd mention it.

amritab@yahoo.com
Jul 7th, 2004, 04:45 PM
In the end, you would be able to sustain your behaviour and have a better luck as a vegan if you sometimes werent so hard on yourself/. Society tends to stick to shades of black and white(esp when it comes to vegetarians/vegans) when often times being in the grey zone helps. Dont beat yourself up over this. Eat some yogurt if you have this urge. Remember, this isnt about being some sort of a "pure" thing. I know a lot of vegans do this, but I am more of a practical person and I feel if this small cheat (I dont like to say cheat but there) helps me stay a lifelong vegan, then its worth it. Dont sweat it. You know you are making a great choice in life and a very compassionate one. Dont worry so much.

phillip888
Jul 7th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Banana, I agree with Korn, Once you give in to a craving, you will continue to have it.
The idea that your body craves what it needs is accurate, but people also just have habits, and food habits are associated with emotional states and social interaction in our primitive cultures. Most people don't understand that natural craving are for natural food, and end up eating nasy 'food'. Sometimes people make a big deal out of it. Chances are you miss the experience of yoghurt, but really what your body wants is something as simple as calorie rich food or fat. There are also certain tastes people crave in any form. I like tangy foods. To cure my cravings for cheese I ate hummus with tahini. Now when I crave something tangy, I crave falafels or hummus instead of cheese.

funkyvixen
Jul 7th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Hiya

I like the theory that cravings come from a (slight) deficiency - thats certainly proven in animals, a cow with low sodium levels will seek out a salt lick for example. I'm not sure if it transfers to people though as our psychology is so much more complex! Its probably much more to do with habit and personal preferences etc.

That doesn't really help you though! I think the ideas of trying similar textured/tasting food is a good one, so maybe vegan smoothies or shakes may do it. Also, are you sure you've tried all the different soya etc yoghurts available? I found some rank but others I love.

I also like the idea that giving in to your craving might well make you feel ill and cure you of it - I know when I accidentally ate a burger (in a drunken mix-up at a takeaway) I was then attached to the toilet for the next 3 days. If you haven't eaten a substance for a long time the body loses the ability to digest it (not permanently, it could be regained, but it certainly can't cope with a sudden large influx). Not sure thats really a good solution though, to deliberately make yourself ill, and anyway, it might not make you ill, especially if you haven't been 100% vegan for a long time.

Hope you find a solution you're happy with :) oh and I posted on your white chocolate thread too with an idea.

fv x

oh and p.s. if you do give into your craving, please don't beat yourself up about it hon.

Kuklasmom
Jul 7th, 2004, 09:45 PM
All the posters have offered you some great suggestions; I'm sure that at least one of them will help you in your situation! :D

I especially agree with Korn: focus on what you can have; think of it as an adventure in a new country. And I most heartily agree with those who remind us that veganism is not some sort of quest for perfection. This is Earth; all we can do is our best.

To answer your question, what do I do when faced with a craving for non-vegan food? I think about the animals--that's what drew me to being a vegan in the first place and that's what keeps me a vegan.

Best regards,
Kukla's Mom

Mystic
Jul 7th, 2004, 11:21 PM
You guys have all been so helpful... But I have tried all the soy yoghurts available and they are just sooooooooo gross!!!!

It makes sense to focus on wwhat you can have rather than what you can't. Maybe a nice thick banana smoothie will do it???

I will let you guys know how I go, and meanwhile my BF can eat the yoghurt I bought!

Sabster
Jul 8th, 2004, 03:44 AM
I love soy yogurt. Maybe it's the brands. Then again could just be a taste thing. I have as much of a taste for soy yogurt as regular yogurt. I liked soy yogurt before I actually could stand the taste of soy milk which I now love.

John
Jul 8th, 2004, 04:58 AM
WholeSoy brand soy yogurt is delicious. I can't help but buy the drinkable apricot mango when I'm at the supermarket.

And I agree with Gertvegan. Examine the emotions which create these cravings. Many people have almost Freudian attachment to milk.

eve
Jul 8th, 2004, 08:29 AM
If you're really hooked on yoghurt, or whatever, may I recommend that you beg, borrow, or buy "Breaking the Food Seduction" by Neil Barnard MD. It really is superb, and if you're honest with yourself, any addictions will disappear. As you know, Dr Barnard is a vegan, and, Banana, if you are still in Australia, go here to purchase: http://veganic.net/LuisBooks.html - though I know he had a run on the book.

Korn
Jul 8th, 2004, 09:55 AM
An interesting aspect of Breaking the Food Seduction, is that he suggests people to try to plan only 3 weeks ahead to begin with, and make a decision afterwards. So much happens in three weeks, that if someone is able to drop old habits for 3 weeks, most likely they will decide to continue.

foxytina_69
Jul 8th, 2004, 05:33 PM
sumthing i find that tastes like dairy and helps my cravings:

freeze a couple of bananas. once frozen, blend immediately and eat. put sum raspberries or anything on top and it tastes just like icecream. its so yummy.

LillyatsStigma
Jul 8th, 2004, 06:52 PM
i was craving cheese when i first started but when i finally caved i got sooo sick from the dairy i definately dont recomend trying it Ill never go back.I never realized how you can feel all the gunk flowing through your body.Just rmember how you felt before you went vegan.

funkyvixen
Jul 8th, 2004, 07:04 PM
You could try making your own yoghurt too, from whatever non-dairy milk you prefer. Don't ask me how as I've never done it myself, but I know you can!

fv x

Korn
Jul 8th, 2004, 07:30 PM
You could try making your own yoghurt too

Sure - try this. (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2468)

It doesn't taste like yoghurt, but is a good alternative...

drussell4801
Jul 22nd, 2004, 01:44 AM
yeah basically everyone has it right.

breaking habits is a totally different process for different people.

giving in now and then causes some to give up completely; causes others to feel gross and reinforce their beliefs.

Sheena
Jul 24th, 2004, 03:53 AM
I dont mind soy milk in mashed potato, or on my porridge,but it's dreadful in coffee. I like cheese and eggs and yoghurt (Ive only been a vegan since yesterday), but I can live with out them. The Soygert brand soy yoghurt I tried was vile. How is rice milk in coffee, and, Banana, if you make those white choc and macadamia cookies, can i have some please :) ?

Geoff
Jul 24th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Sheena, I find that Both Sanitarium and So Natural soy milk work fine in coffee.

Veganmama
Jul 24th, 2004, 09:51 AM
I find the Soy life yougurt is the least Soy tasting and Vitasoy milk can even go undetected in many a cow milk drinkers coffee ;)

As far as the craving goes, when i'm having a craving for dairy i make a smoothy from frozen banana's and frozen berries and i add some tahini for a calcium hit and it usually helps :)

Sheena
Jul 25th, 2004, 01:06 AM
Thanks guys, Ill try the brands you mentioned. Im drinking my coffee black at the moment. I like all the brands of flavoured soymilk I have tried so far, and even my omnivorous friend liked the soy icedcoffee I gave her yesterday. I think Ill try that frozen banana/berry/tahini smoothie too, sounds yummy. :)