PDA

View Full Version : Krispy Kreme bummer and me just ranting

Makoto
Jun 17th, 2005, 01:48 AM
So my mom really wanted a krispy kreme doughnut today and we were driving right by the store. She had one like, last year.. (so not in her habits at all).

So we go in and she decides to get a coffee and a regular doughnut. Meanwhile, the lady serving us, hands both of us a fresh hot, FREE, doughnut.

I didn't eat mine cuz I didn' t know if it was vegan or not but it was quite tempting as I had one of those about a year ago while on a trip in southern california (one of those fresh hot unhealthy ;) ones).

Anyways, I just looked them up and they contain both milk and eggs... so I'm glad I didn't have it.. even if it's still laying on the kitchen table!

my lesson: do not assume something is vegan (even if another store's might be).

plus, I dont want to support chains because they tend to put little businesses out of business and destroy what makes a place characteristic (everywhere looks the same when there's a lot of chains)

tasha
Jun 17th, 2005, 04:36 AM
It's funny, I always said, "I'm not gonna be anal about my veganism, if something contains eggs or milk and it has already been bought by someone else and is going to go bad or is being offered--I'll just be polite and eat it!" As long as something doesn't contain meat, I'm not totally grossed out by it...

However, I have discovered that now that I have adopted this diet, I no longer avoid consuming eggs or dairy due to the treatment of the animals only, but also because it turns me off!

Interestly enough...I thought I'd miss cheese so much...and I do--but the thought of eating it makes me a little ill now! Yet, eating veggies that have been grown in poo doesn't turn my belly....hmmmmmm..... :confused:

adam antichrist
Jun 17th, 2005, 10:35 AM
eating veggies that have been grown in poo doesn't turn my belly....hmmmmmm..... :confused:

try thinking "this was grown in poo" as you place that forkfull of deliciously sauteed mushroom in your mouth
:D

Imapeach
Jun 17th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Just for the sake of being factful: There are two Krispy Kreme stores in Australia and they are both in Sydney Airport (so I'm told).

I used to eat them when I was in the USA (as a vegetarian). But never found them particularly special, aside from the novelty factor.

Are Donut King donuts vegan?

Artichoke47
Jun 17th, 2005, 06:29 PM
I haven't checked, but I highly doubt any donuts from chains are vegan.

tasha
Jun 18th, 2005, 05:21 AM
try thinking "this was grown in poo" as you place that forkfull of deliciously sauteed mushroom in your mouth

Man, pretty soon I'll be living off of water only! ;)

Tigerlily
Jun 18th, 2005, 09:22 PM
I haven't checked, but I highly doubt any donuts from chains are vegan.

Yes. Aren't eggs a key ingredient in donuts? I've surfed vegan cooking communities, and it seems that veganized donuts are hard to make.

snivelingchild
Jun 18th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Man, pretty soon I'll be living off of water only! ;)

Watch out for than run off from manure-filled factory farms! Crap, I hope I don't make you go crazy from this stuff. :p

Wildflower
Jun 20th, 2005, 02:01 AM

Most mushroom here in the US are grown inside with pasturized "synthetic manure" - who invented that! :confused:

VeggieGirl
Jun 21st, 2005, 09:33 PM
Tigerlily,

I am not sure if they are hard to make, vegan dognuts that is, but if you ever come to Seattle you will definitely have to make a stop at our fabulous Might-O-Dognuts. They are vegan, V. yummy and kick ass. Course they are incredibly fattening, but isn't that what dognuts are all about. :D

Jen

twinkle
Jun 21st, 2005, 10:18 PM
There's no reason why doughnuts have to have egg in them - I remember making doughnuts years ago before I was vegan - traditional ones are a sweet yeasted dough (so basically flour, yeast, sugar and water, maybe a little fat of some kind such as vegetable oil or margarine), then you let them rise, then deep fry them and fill them with jam or custard or whatever, and roll them in sugar.

In the UK Marks and Spencers doughnuts are vegan, though I don't think any of the big supermarket own brand ones are.

Makoto
Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:57 AM
I heard something about some products at Tim Horton's (a Canadian coffee-doughnut chain) being vegan but i have to verify on their website

FR
Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:37 AM
Yes. Aren't eggs a key ingredient in donuts? I've surfed vegan cooking communities, and it seems that veganized donuts are hard to make.

They aren't hard to make, eggs aren't needed in anything, there are other things you can use. A vending machine where I work carries doughnuts that contain no dairy or eggs (but they do contain artificial flavor, sugar that was most likely filtered through bone char, 450 calories per serving, and hydrogenated oil). In Seattle, there is a place called Mighty O's and they are an all vegan doughnut store.

ETA... I see Veggiegirl mentioned Mighty-O's already. :p

VeggieGirl
Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:13 PM
FR,

I just wanted to say you rock for being a vegan in Indiana. I grew up there and just moved to seattle about 3 years ago. I imagine it must be hard there in terms of the attitudes you must run into and no vegan restaurants. The last I knew the only veggie place in Indy started serving meat a while back, Three Sisters. I have to admit I have fantasies of coming back to live one day and opening a vegan restaurant. :) I would love to know of any new good places to go in Indy since I visit a couple of times a year.