PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Chocolate

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

FR
Jul 8th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I have a recipe for something that tastes good, sort of like toffee, and is crispy:

Almond butterscotch blondies

One dozen

4 T. water
1 T. ener-G egg replacer
1 c. turbinado sugar
1/4 c. safflower oil
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. whole-wheat pastry flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/3 c. sliced almonds

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a bowl, combine the water and egg replacer and whisk for 1 min. or until very frothy. Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla and whisk well to combine.

2. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir well to combine. Fold in the almonds.

3. Pour batter into greased 9-inch square pan. Bake for 25 min. When done, the top and edges will appear dry and brown while the center will remain soft. Cut into 12 squares while still warm.

I think it's from a magazine, but I forget which now. Anyway, put them in the refrigerator to cool after slicing to harden.

Yeah, that is from VegNews. I made those and they are like toffee. I wrote them asking why they're are called blondies as they do not resemble blondies at all. They would need way more flour to be real blondies. They were too sweet and crunchy for my tastes and they stuck to my teeth.

Mister The Cat
Jul 8th, 2005, 04:00 PM
I'd LOVE a vegan Milky Bar - heaven.

Raskolnikov
Jul 8th, 2005, 06:40 PM
I have a recipe for something that tastes good, sort of like toffee, and is crispy: Almond butterscotch blondies....
Sounds good to me! I might have a bash at making that this weekend. It sounds like something my non-vegan spouse might wish to partake of as well. (It sometimes pleases me to know that he's not inclined to turn his nose up at absolutely everything I eat!)

Mystic
Jul 9th, 2005, 09:46 AM
I'd LOVE a vegan Milky Bar - heaven.
OMG DROOOOOOOOOOOOOL! I ALWAYS LOVED MILKYBAR!

twinkle
Jul 9th, 2005, 10:16 AM
What I miss is Caramac...

I think that was taken over by Nestle though, so I stopped eating them even before I went vegan :(

Miel Miette
Jul 9th, 2005, 12:28 PM
I will have to check Pangea out one day. Strangely enough I had a dream about eating vegan chocolate the other night, it was while and dark swirled together, like those Guilean shells.

sentient
Jul 23rd, 2005, 06:12 PM
I know milk chocolate isn't vegan (obviously) but is most dark chocolate vegan or do I have to find a special vegan brand?

Wildflower
Jul 23rd, 2005, 07:34 PM
It really depends. I believe (check as it changes) that Dove Dark chocolate and Giradelli Dark chocolate are vegan (I buy their chips and cocoa sometimes). Last I checked Hershey's Special Dark had milk fat in it.

The brands that I eat are Newman's Own (Dark Chocolate bar), Green and Black's and Dagoba. Also, Ritter Sport makes a dark chocolate marzipam to die for.

Some Dagoba (http://www.dagobachocolates.com) brand chocolate is vegan - from there website:
Are any products vegan?
All of Dagoba’s dark bars, ChocoDrops, hot chocolates, cocoa powder, syrup are vegan. Dagoba uses only unrefined cane sugar, meaning that the sugar has not been processes through a filter such as animal char.
Which products have no milk/dairy added?
Dagoba’s dark bars, ChocoDrops, hot chocolates, cocoa powder and syrup have no added milk or milk by-products. The dark and milk chocolates are made on the same equipment, but everything is cleaned thoroughly between runs.

And Green and Black's (http://www.greenandblacks.com/) has many vegan bars - I love the Dark Chocolate and Hazelnut & Currant. They actually mark the vegan bars as vegan and they are listed here -> http://www.greenandblacks.com/pics/productimages/Nutritional%20and%20Dietary%20Information%20v10.do c

I find Newman's Own at most regular and health food stores, Green and Blacks at most health food stores, and Dagoba at Vegan Essentials.

Roxy
Jul 23rd, 2005, 09:51 PM
I love Dagoba chocolate and Tropical Source vegan chocolate too (especially the peppermint one)!

tipsy
Jul 24th, 2005, 12:22 AM
hey thats my fav too! :D :D :D

i love mint chocolate!!!

i crush it up into pieces and put it in my vanilla soy icecream!

sentient
Jul 24th, 2005, 03:28 AM
awesome, thanks everyone!

LittleNellColumbia
Jul 24th, 2005, 05:03 PM
mmmmmmm i love chocolate! im not sure if you have Lindt Chocolate in America, but here in Oz the orange choc flavour is vegan....and its just devine! It has real fruit pieces in it also, so you can pretend your being healthy while your eating it.........:D

Lindsay
Jul 24th, 2005, 06:45 PM
On the Ghirardelli package it says "may contain milk protein", but I bought it once anyway. If that bothers you though, there are special vegan chocolates you can buy, probably easiest online.

Kiva Dancer
Jul 24th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Newman's Sweet Dark Orange is also vegan. I find that one in Fred Meyer, but you might be able to try Fry's or any store that has its own health food section.

Dagoba, they started carrying at Fred Meyer too (at least they do at the one near me).

They also started carrying Endangered Species brand, but I don't remember if any of them are vegan or not (I was in a bit of hurry that day - sorry).

Roxy
Jul 25th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Oh - I almost forgot. My local organic grocery stores sells Chimp Mints. They are organic and vegan and I'm pretty sure they're put out by the Endangered Species company. They are a little square piece of dark, peppermint flavoured chocolate and each one comes with a little picture of a chimp inside and a story about it's life.

They are great as an after dinner mint!

sentient
Jul 25th, 2005, 06:39 AM
That's so cute! Maybe they stock them at Whole Foods or Sprouts here in Arizona... I'll have to go on a chocolate hunt.

PumpkinGuy
Aug 1st, 2005, 11:46 PM
OK I'm ignorant here. Doesn't most chocolate contain milk product?? I've been avoiding chocolate thinking it was not vegan. Is this a correct assumption?

Mystic
Aug 2nd, 2005, 12:10 AM
You can buy vegan chocolate, but most chocolate is not. There are some brands of dark chocolate that have no animal products and some specialty soy-milk based milk chocolates are available. I also buy vegan white chocolate :p

PumpkinGuy
Aug 2nd, 2005, 12:31 AM
Thanks! I'll add that to my list of goodies to look for!

Roxy
Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:10 PM
I am sure someone in the USA could better answer this than someone in Canada ;) but there are lots of yummy vegan chocolates available in the USA. 2 of my favourites are Dagobah and Tropical Source.

Kiva Dancer
Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:51 PM
Dagoba, Triopical Source, Neuman's Dark and Sweet Dark Orange, Lindt 70% Dark, Dove Dark and one of the Ghiradelli varieties (I think the bittersweet) are all vegan and available in just about any US store. :)

mysh
Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:30 PM
There are two kinds of Ghirardelli's that qualify - I think the other one is called "semi sweet". I chocolate chips of both kinds for my chocolate cakes and chocolate chip cookies.

There is also a Lindt 80% chocolate available in some places, and in Germany I got some wafer thin Lindt 60% or 70% chocolates in a box - fantastic! I don't like dark chocolate that much, but the thing Lindts I really like (probably because they're so thin, the taste isn't as over powering).

I'm surprised to hear that Dove dark chocolate is vegan, as the Dove Dark Chocolate Promises (the bite-sized ones in a bag) is made with butterfat (see http://www.dovechocolate.com/collection/nutritional.html ).

But do make sure you read the ingredient list - you'd be surprised how many dark chocolates contain milk (or some milk by-product)!

Kiva Dancer
Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:24 PM
I got the info about Dove Dark here (http://veganforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=67706&postcount=2). But like the poster said, check lables because things change.

RossClement
Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:20 PM
We contacted Iceland, and they told us that their dark chcolate is vegan. We've been eating it since. In face we have a chocolate tofu cheesecake thingie in the fridge made with it.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Evilfluffbunny
Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:25 PM
When did you contact them if you don't mind me asking? It's just that it's listed as non-vegan on the 'Is It Vegan?' website, so I'm wondering if one or the other is out of date maybe? :confused: