PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Chocolate

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

RossClement
Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:44 PM
We would have contacted them maybe two or three months ago.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Evilfluffbunny
Aug 4th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Thanks for letting me know. :) Hopefully 'Is it Vegan' just haven't updated their site.

RossClement
Aug 5th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks for letting me know. :) Hopefully 'Is it Vegan' just haven't updated their site.

Or it could be due to different definitions. I would be surprised if Iceland dark chocolate wasn't made on the same machines that was used to make milk chocolate. Hence there may be very small traces of dairy in the chocolate even though there is no dairy in the recipe. I think that some years ago Tropical Source non-dairy chocolate found out about this, and there was some discussion about it on various vegetarian groups. At that time the owner of Tropical Source was looking to find production lines never used for dairy, but I never heard what happened, and haven't seen Tropical Source on sale for some time.

I did also have a discussion with someone in a kosher food shop about kosher pareve (hence non-dairy I believe) chocolate. I was told that in general even the kosher chocolate was made on the same machines as dairy. He said that either the machines were cleaned to remove dairy chocolate before making the pareve chocolate, or several batches of dark chocolate that was not going to be labelled pareve was put through the machine before making pareve dark chocolate. Note that pareve chocolate is not guaranteed vegan.

I note that Waitrose chocolate which is not, according to them, vegan even though it is also "Belgian" and has a very similar ingredients list to the Iceland chocolate. From speaking to their customer service department some years ago now, they were aware of the slight contamination with dairy products, and were advising people about it.

Personally I still eat the Iceland chocolate. In the eyes of some people this may make me not a vegan. But, my history of veganism has been one of starting not even vegetarian, and slowly dropping things, passing through ovo-lacto, through dietry vegan, to where I am now. So perhaps in the future I'll have cancelled eating chocolate that has been anywhere near a machine used for dairy chocolate.

Cheers,

Ross-c

RossClement
Aug 5th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Following up my own post, this is what has happened to Tropical Source chocolates. The third (or so) paragraph on this page mentions the problem of otherwise vegan chocolate being made on machines used to make dairy chocolate.

Cheers,

Ross-c

http://www.nspiredfoods.com/tropicalsrc.html

AbFab
Aug 5th, 2005, 01:47 PM
I don't! :confused: I've seen Star Wars though. I had to watch it because I was about 22/23 and still hadn't seen them, so people kept making fun of me. I couldn't take the embarrassment any more.

:) I'm 31 and I STILL haven't seen any of the Star Wars films.

mssara1214
Aug 26th, 2005, 08:26 AM
My mom and I do not understand the whole thing about chocolate. like which kinds are vegan and which arent. we're really having trouble with it. can someone explain it in detail for us????? PLEASE?!

abrennan
Aug 26th, 2005, 08:33 AM
My mom and I do not understand the whole thing about chocolate. like which kinds are vegan and which arent. we're really having trouble with it. can someone explain it in detail for us????? PLEASE?!

Dear mssara1214

To be sure you could stick to only buying chocolate that is promoted as being vegan.

If not you need to ensure that your chocolate has no dairy like milk, milk powder or cream or butterfat.

I have heard a rumour that mainstream chokkie has what you might call lard or beef fat in it to enhance the texture. But I dunno if that is true.

Hope that helps some

I am sure that there are others who will post here soon enough to provide you with more info

Antony chocolateless

foxytina_69
Aug 26th, 2005, 08:40 AM
well its as simple as reading the ingredients. if theres no dairy ingredients than its vegan :)

oh and many people are confused about cocoa butter, but this is vegan.

Seaside
Aug 26th, 2005, 09:21 AM
well its as simple as reading the ingredients. if theres no dairy ingredients than its vegan :)

oh and many people are confused about cocoa butter, but this is vegan.

Yes, they should call it cocoa fat, instead of butter.

Dark chocolate is usually, but not always, vegan. Like abrennan posted, look out for added milk, milk powder, cream, butter, or whey. if you want to go even further, if the sugar in the chocolate was refined in the USA, it may not be vegan.

I like Dagoba dark chocolate bars and cocoa powder. They are vegan and free trade. :)

Gliondrach
Aug 26th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Hello, MsSara.

This link might help:

http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/chocolate.html to give some idea of what's available. I'm not sure how up-to-date the info is, though.

I might one day attempt to make my own chocolate. I will use cocoa or perhaps baking chocolate. Apparently, the secret is in the tempering, which involves heating the baking chocolate and the other ingredients of your choice until it melts, and then slowly cooling them so that the new chocolate remains solid at room temperatures.

I could sell them as Martin Bars.

Regards,

Martin the Chocowizard.

absentmindedfan
Aug 26th, 2005, 11:59 AM
If you could make them like Mars Bars or Twixes I would have to buy shares in your company, beacuse the amount I would buy and eat would send the shares sky-rocketing, thus funding my habit!:D

Gliondrach
Aug 26th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Some nice pics there, Absent. And, you are very talented as a maker of corsages and earrings. They are not really my style, though. I would lose my macho, butch image if I went out in them. I might ask you for advice on taking flower photographs if I run into any difficulties.

On that link I gave is a recipe for vegan Mars bars and Marathons, too. Haven't looked at them yet properly so don't know if they would make pukkah-tasting versions.

I will give you 100 shares in the company.

Regards,

Martin.

absentmindedfan
Aug 26th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Well I can be commissioned..what kinds of earrings would you like?;):D

(By the way guys, once my little accessory selling business is up and running, if you see anything you like I'll happily give discount to vegans, and I will post overseas to you guys whereas usually it's only UK-plus if you want something special I'll give you a cheaper rate for it)

RossClement
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Much, if not most, dark chocolate is made on the same machines as dairy chocolate, without the machine being cleaned in between different batches of chcolate. Hence there will be a small amount of dairy products in dark chocolate even if the ingredients don't list dairy or other animal products.

Cheers,

Ross-c

eve
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Do you have proof of that Ross_Clement? BTW, 80% cocoa in the dark chocolate is good.

RossClement
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Do you have proof of that Ross_Clement? BTW, 80% cocoa in the dark chocolate is good.

I've been told this by suppliers on the telephone, and it has been discussed in various vegan/vegetarian newsgroups before. If you phone the company you buy chocoate from they should be able to tell you the situation for the brands you buy.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Yoggy
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Surely the packaging would have to say something like "may contain traces of dairy products" on it for those who are allergic to dairy? Like when chocolate may contain traces of peanuts, etc, they have to state so on the wrapper. I thought it would be mandatory for dairy too, since someone could have a bad reaction...

abrennan
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Well I can be commissioned..what kinds of earrings would you like?;):D

I can be commisioned to test all the choclotaes and research their contents all you need to do is send them to me. !!!

:eek: :eek: Antony:eek: :eek:

RossClement
Aug 30th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Surely the packaging would have to say something like "may contain traces of dairy products" on it for those who are allergic to dairy? Like when chocolate may contain traces of peanuts, etc, they have to state so on the wrapper. I thought it would be mandatory for dairy too, since someone could have a bad reaction...

I can't find the email, but somewhere I have one from a chocolate manufacturer mentioning the contamination issue, and saying that one of their brands of chocolate will have the packaging modified to say "may contain traces of dairy" in the near future.

If you want to know the situation for chocolate you eat, I suggest you contact the manufacturer.

Edit:

As a quick check, I phoned both Green & Black's and Cadbury's. Green and Black's told me that they use the same machines for both milk and dark chocolate, but that the machines are cleaned before making dark chocolate. I asked Cadbury's about "Fry's Chocolate Creams" which do not include any animal ingredients in their list. They told me that they are vegetarian but not vegan because of the "cross-contaminantion issue" (their words).

Cheers,

Ross-c

Kiva Dancer
Aug 30th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Most (all?) companies who use shared equipment will always clean the machinery between products. The "may contain traces" line is for people who are super-sensitive to whatever residue might still be on the machine even after a meticulous scrubbing.

Mystic
Aug 30th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm chocolate. Can't wait to see Willy Wonka.

I may have to pick me up another Sweet Williams bar or a choc chip cookie....

I saw a great tee the other day that said "Chocolate makes my clothes shrink!"

Love it!

abrennan
Sep 5th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm chocolate. Can't wait to see Willy Wonka.

I may have to pick me up another Sweet Williams bar or a choc chip cookie....

I saw a great tee the other day that said "Chocolate makes my clothes shrink!"

Love it!

Ooompa loompa dumpadee dooo
i'n not confused about chocolate- are you
Ooompa loompa dumpadee dee
i want to get some chocolate in me

I don'e eat near as much chocolate as I did when I was vegetarian, I'm off eating so much sugar especially.

It's a matter of identifying appropriate brands as a vegan and sourcing them if you wanna be eating em.

antony wonka

Mystic
Sep 5th, 2005, 10:50 PM
LOL! I saw it on the weekend. Was crap. They took the heart out of the story. And they had one scene where the oompa loompas were whipping a cow to make "whipped cream". Was not impressed. And the movie didn't make you want to eat chocolate at all. There was not much drool factor. But I ate chocolate anyway :D

abrennan
Sep 6th, 2005, 11:27 AM
oh no Johny wouldn't do that would be

ooompa looompa bumpadee booo

Mr Flibble
Sep 14th, 2005, 01:10 PM
I go on these little missions on a regular basis to source ingrediants I want to play with, and sometimes take years in the process finding certain things.

One such thing that I've been searching for for about 10 months is cocoa butter in the UK, food grade, at a good price in a quantity less than about 30. I've tried is lots of places including contacting smaller chocolate manufacturers, but no one is willing to sell me less than about 50 worth, which is a bit overkill for the needs of one vegan living alone! I found a cosmetics place selling it, but for use in making soap etc and whilst supposidly 100% pure they can't assure me as to whether it is still suitable for food use due to being handled as if it isn't. I'm about 95% sure that vegan white chocolate is possible (another thing I spent vast amounts of time sourcing and came up blank), but I need to find cocoa butter before I can try.