PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Chocolate

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Kumem
Sep 15th, 2005, 12:15 PM
My friend just kindly brought me back some Ghirardelli squares, that has milk choc with caramel, milk choc with almonds and dark choc squares in it. I read this thread quickly and assumed the dark was okay, so ate a square, but then looked at the ingredients out of curiosity and it has milk fat in it. I feel sick and hope this does make my stomach go crazy :(

foxytina_69
Sep 15th, 2005, 12:17 PM
i hope u end up feeling okay kumen! *hugs*

i LOVE tropical source chocolate. especially the rice crisp chocolate bar. its my favorite.

Kumem
Sep 15th, 2005, 01:12 PM
i hope u end up feeling okay kumen! *hugs*

i LOVE tropical source chocolate. especially the rice crisp chocolate bar. its my favorite.

LittleNellColumbia
Sep 15th, 2005, 03:21 PM
I wanna find some chocolate that is vegan that isnt dark and doesnt taste like shit.

Im glad i got that off my chest:D :D :D
Nah, there are a few good ones out there, but it just dosnt taste the same.....:o

Has anyone tried this?
http://store1.yimg.com/I/veganunlimited_1858_2082298 (http://www.veganunlimited.com/15144.html)coz it says that it tastes like milk chocolate! thatd be a nice thing if it did....:rolleyes: ;)

Mr Flibble
Sep 15th, 2005, 03:35 PM
i like the way that this board makes the bl**d word naughty, but not shit, makes a change :)

Never tried that brand, but have tried quite a lot of different varieties of chocolate suitable for vegans. I don't know whether my tastes have changed, or I've grown a greater appreciation for the stuff than the average people who shovels as much cadburys dairy milk into their gobs as possible, but I enjoy good quality dark chocolate designed for non vegans who like good quality dark chocolate now just as much as I did milk, and vegan 'milk chocolate' just tastes weird.

xwitchymagicx
Sep 15th, 2005, 09:24 PM
It would be so much easier if they sold half the stuff in shops. :( I don't like dark chocolate :eek:

Metalhead
Oct 9th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Does anyone know if Tesco Dark chocolate (the economy version, not the Swiss) is Vegan? It mentions lactose in the ingredients list, but doesn't mention milk products in the allergy advice section. I understand that lactose can be synthetic and is not necessarily from a dairy source.

thanks,
t

Gliondrach
Oct 9th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Metalhead, according to isitvegan.info The following are vegan:

Chocolate Chocolate Gift Stacking Boxes 140g Tesco
Chocolate Fairtrade Plain Chocolate Tesco
Chocolate Free From Chocolate Tesco
Chocolate Free From Milk Chocolate

Mystic
Oct 20th, 2005, 10:52 PM
A link to vegan white chocolate chips (http://www.allergygrocery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1149&Category_Code=Chocolate_Candy&Product_Count=1)

Maisiepaisie
Oct 21st, 2005, 01:13 PM
Lately I've noticed a few thing on www.isitvegan.info (http://www.isitvegan.info) that are not vegan. The latest being tesco jam tarts which now contain milk. I've emailed them before but they don't bother replying. Also some stuff does not exist such as cooking chocolate from Thorntons. I've lost faith in that site now.

Mr Flibble
Oct 21st, 2005, 03:40 PM
I know of no non animal sources of lactose.

I trust the ingrediants list first, then allergy seperate. I'm not sure if they still do, but Sainsburys were selling for a long time cranberry jelly containing cochineal, which on the front had a suitable for vegetarians logo.

puffin
Oct 21st, 2005, 09:03 PM
I trust the ingrediants list first, then allergy seperate. I'm not sure if they still do, but Sainsburys were selling for a long time cranberry jelly containing cochineal, which on the front had a suitable for vegetarians logo.
Thats terrible. No wonder us vegans always read the ingredients on the pack even if it say vegan on it. When i went to the vegan fair i couldnt help but check what was in things before i ate them. Cant trust anyone :rolleyes:

Mr Flibble
Oct 30th, 2005, 04:22 PM
I saw this recipe that I plan on trying when I am done dieting. Although this will not make perfect chips, you can make small chunks which would probably work out better anyway.

http://www.vegsource.com/articles/deb_white_chocolate.htm

After a year of searching for food grade cocoa butter in the UK I've finally gotten my hands on a couple of kg and am experimenting with white chocolate at the moment. The first recipe I tried, against my better judgement, was the one linked above.

Disgusting! Yuck! I have a healthy distrust of vegweb/vegsource recipes, and this one is a good example of how to waste expensive ingrediants. Far, far, far too sweet and doesn't have a high enough cocoa butter content to set up properly.

The second I tried was 34% cocoa butter, 60% soya milk, 5% sugar, borbon vanilla paste and soya lechicin. It set up almost as hard as I'd like in the fridge, smells great but tastes a bit odd. More experimentation needed, however before thowing it in the bin i decided to see what it's like as a massage bar. Yum! Melts really easily, stinks of gorgeous white chocolate and is cheap to make compared to lush. Edible too, although not in large quantities.

So now I'm experimenting to find a good edible white chocolate recipe, and a massage bar one too! :D

What I miss is Caramac...

whadda ya reckon for the ingrediants? White chocolate but with caramellised sugar?

Poison Ivy
Oct 30th, 2005, 05:19 PM
whadda ya reckon for the ingrediants? White chocolate but with caramellised sugar?

Or (I would think) that Dulce de Leche recipe that Diane found for you a couple of weeks ago would make Caramac when mixed with the White Chocolate :)

Mr Flibble
Oct 30th, 2005, 05:59 PM
I'm not so sure. Going to the hassle of making a good dulce de leche (the recipe Diane found I'm still sure is just a toffee sauce and that the caramelisation of lactose what gives the real stuff it it's unique taste) might be wasted if all i need is caramelised sucrose (dead easy).

Poison Ivy
Oct 30th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Hmm, I'd have thought the caramelised sugar on it's own would have been too much, if memory serves me correct Caramac has condensed milk in it, which I'm assuming is cooked to a 'fudgy' consistency - a bit like the fudgy layer in a mississippi mud pie - so to make Caramac the fudgy condensed soy milk (which I think is what the Dulce De Leche sounds like) would work better - but that's just my opinion :)

Mr Flibble
Oct 30th, 2005, 06:54 PM
valid point :)

pat sommer
Oct 31st, 2005, 06:17 PM
we don't get taken that seriously. I admit to faking "allergies" to get folks to be SURE what is in my food. also asking about hallal or kosher elicits more co-operation. That's it: we can get recognized as a religion and elect ourselves a pope. We already have a self-ordained roman vegan orthodoxy;)

Barley
Oct 31st, 2005, 06:22 PM
I agree with Mr Flibble - I don't know of a vegan lactose - lactic acid I think can be either. Tesco organic plain chocolate at 79p 100g is vegan and really nice!

pat sommer
Oct 31st, 2005, 10:39 PM
yes, good quality chocolate. I agree lactose= milk but lactic acid is produced by bacteria commercially- think sauerkraut

Mr Flibble
Nov 1st, 2005, 07:21 PM
Actually, I've since found that caramac doesn't even contain cocoa butter!

Anyway, changing the subject slightly, I've just had a white chocolate orgasm! I decided to try making white chocolate mouse when I got home. I made it up from scratch and it tastes awesome :D. No doubt could be better with refinement, but incase anyone has access to cocoa butter and wants to try:

50ml soya milk, 45g cocoa butter and 25g castor sugar melted together. Then blended till smooth with 1tsp soya lethicin, 150g silken tofu and 1tsp chocolate extract (http://www.starkaywhite.com/chocolate_extract.htm).

I didn't get a chance to see whether it would set up or not, i ate it all with a spoon straight from the blender :D

Artichoke47
Nov 1st, 2005, 07:50 PM
I have to order food-grade cocoa butter online if I want it. No one here has it!

DianeVegan
Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks for trying that recipe, Mr. Flibble! You've saved me the hassle of throwing away some expensive cocoa butter. :)

I have been away from home so much recently that I haven't gotten around to trying many recipes on my list, especially desserts (there's only 2 of us now). So please keep trying and posting your results!

abrennan
Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:49 PM
Actually, I've since found that caramac doesn't even contain cocoa butter!

Anyway, changing the subject slightly, I've just had a white chocolate orgasm! I decided to try making white chocolate mouse when I got home. I made it up from scratch and it tastes awesome :D. No doubt could be better with refinement, but incase anyone has access to cocoa butter and wants to try:

50ml soya milk, 45g cocoa butter and 25g castor sugar melted together. Then blended till smooth with 1tsp soya lethicin, 150g silken tofu and 1tsp chocolate extract (http://www.starkaywhite.com/chocolate_extract.htm).

I didn't get a chance to see whether it would set up or not, i ate it all with a spoon straight from the blender :D

Great work Mr Flibble you are an inspiration, I know I once called you finicky, in regard to your recipe requests but now I see your perfectionability:D

Kevster
Dec 11th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Okay, tried some Montezuma's truffles today after they were recommended by someone on this board (you know who you are) i was told 'they're better than booja booja truffles' if anyone else hears about this, be sceptical, personally, i believe they are not better than bb, i think that all the organic vegan truffles are expensive, and it's good to try them out, but Monty zs are soooooo not worth it.