PDA

View Full Version : The Body Shop - what a crock!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

abrennan
Oct 28th, 2005, 02:34 PM
MMMmmm I wouldn't call it decedant, that's reserved for chocolate and ice-cream in my book. I'd call it BIZZARO:D

wilson
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:01 PM
And we think of the ancient romans as decadent!

well, they did love their orgies...

Roxy
Oct 30th, 2005, 05:10 AM
live-cell therapy was big few years back. Undifferentiated cells (collagen producing) were injected into creases. This was readily available from the slaughter-house ie unborn calves. The public got hooked on the collagen - wrinkle link and the ingredient was then extracted from a wide range of slaughter waste to be dumped into over-hyped beauty products where it acts as an emollient. And we think of the ancient romans as decadent!:eek:

GROSS!!! :( :mad:

mew_76
Oct 30th, 2005, 08:42 AM
I can't believe what Im reading about The Body Shop!!!! Their popularity is based on their 'animal friendly' message and I would have thought that they would strive to make their products vegetarian/vegan as part of their company image as an environmentally sound business. Its wierd. I guess its cheaper to use that animal based stuff.

I think its ok and right to be disappointed by The Body Shop as their whole company persona is misleading. They allow people to assume things about their products, which leads to more sales, but it just goes to show you can't be complacent and assume things as I totally would about a company like that.

I LOVE your cats Vegan Bear, Talian's paws are too cool!!!! What a legend!:D

Roxy
Oct 31st, 2005, 06:19 AM
I think a big part of their problem is that their staff are not properly trained. Therefore they pass mis-information along to the public which gives the company a bad name.

LittleMissVegan
Dec 25th, 2005, 05:59 PM
In the animal free shopper is says, "The Body Shop cannot state that any state that any of their products are free from animal derived ingredients.".

I have got a Christmas present today- a nail kit from The Body Shop off a friend who wad dead chuffed with herself cos she had found a vegan present. I didn't tell her it wasn't as I didn't want to upset her after she had tried so hard so I asked her how did she know it was vegan? She said she asked the shop assistant who had a book of vegan products The Body Shop sell?!?

So The Body Shop as a company tell The Animal Free Shopper one thing and the their sales assistants are telling customers something different?

Has anyone had any feedback or info on this?

Tigerlily
Dec 25th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Nope, as far as I know, almost all their cosmetics and body products/bath stuff contain animal derived ingredients (beeswax being the most popular). But they do not test on animals.

What is included in the kit? And are there any ingredient lists on them?

LittleMissVegan
Dec 25th, 2005, 07:36 PM
There is a hand wash and hand moisturiser. The only thing I can see is Glycerin- It doesn't state if it is animal derived or not- So I presume it is animal derived. I think it's safest not to use it.

VeganJohn
Dec 25th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Awwww, sorry to hear that LittleMissVegan. At least your friend tried though! If you don't want to use it, you could always give it to a charity shop??

LittleMissVegan
Dec 25th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Good Idea VJ!! I really am gonna have to write a letter of complaint to The Body Shop about their sales assistants saying things are vegan when they aint (When I am more sober of course LOL)

VeganJohn
Dec 25th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Yeah, best to sober up a little before you start to write the letter lol!!

Mr Flibble
Dec 25th, 2005, 09:11 PM
There's an existing thread about bodyshop on this forum which I'm too lazy to search and link to right now, possibly as a result of too much sherry :)

Basically, as far as I know the bodyshop haven't even ever said that either them or their suppliers don't test on animals. All they ever say is they're "against it", which really means shit. Most meat eaters are against animal cruelty, but they still eat meat!

LittleMissVegan
Dec 25th, 2005, 09:15 PM
There's an existing thread about bodyshop on this forum which I'm too lazy to search and link to right now, possibly as a result of too much sherry :)

Basically, as far as I know the bodyshop haven't even ever said that either them or their suppliers don't test on animals. All they ever say is they're "against it", which really means shit. Most meat eaters are against animal cruelty, but they still eat meat!

LOL i'll have a search tomorrow as my finger co-ordination aint too cracking at the moment- I'm typing as fast as a slug on speed at the minute (Sorry not a very vegan expression...). Tar Mr F

VeganLiz
Dec 25th, 2005, 09:58 PM
They onlu use vegetarian glycerin at body shop so it might be ok. However, they use lots of other non vegan products e.g. lanolin, beeswax etc

Liz X

LittleMissVegan
Dec 25th, 2005, 10:44 PM
They onlu use vegetarian glycerin at body shop so it might be ok. However, they use lots of other non vegan products e.g. lanolin, beeswax etc

Liz X

I can't see anything else in it apart from the glycerin. If I'm not sure of somet though I prefer to not use it!

herbwormwood
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:23 PM
I don't understand why you're all so angry at body shop? no, they're not perfect, but is it just me that looks at the positives when so few companies have any?In a mainly non-vegan world, the body shop have potential. and you should remember, that the body shop made animal testing an issue when people had never thought about it beofre. *if* they do use stuff that other companies have animal tested then they do need a huge kick up the arse but maybe they dont, dont jump to conclusions so easily and look at their good points.
I would just rather save my aggression for other more deserving companies, if we can't accept all non-perfect companies, I don't think I could handle living in such negativity (its hard enough as it is)

I used to buy a lot of stuff from the Body Shop in the 1980s when I was a vegetarian teenager. I enjoyed the natural image they had and that they were standing up to say animal experiments were wrong. Plus they had a wonderful display of about 50 glass bottles of perfume and you could just test as many as you wanted without buying any. It never occured to me at that point that animal ingredients could be in cosmetics!
Now I have gone vegan I live in a different city and there is a Lush shop opposite the Body Shop. I buy mostly from Lush. I check before I buy that the product has a green vegan dot on it. I haven't been in the Body shop for a long time but Iwould not rule it out, if there was something I could buy there, because in comparison with the big chemical companies I think they are good. I would check that the product was vegan. I also buy some perspnal care stuff in natural food stores and on the internet from vegan companies. An asian grocer's near where I live always stocks Amber soap and toothpaste, which is vegan and cheap and so rich and "lush"!!!
I think the Body Shop has had its day. I live in a very busy city which is popular for shopping, and ther are very few customers in the Body shop, even at the busy times like lunch time. Our city has 3 branches and I would say they are all not well used nowadays.

NorVegan
Feb 6th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Do anyone know if the makeup brushes are ok? It is the only one i can afford for the moment as it seems that buying and importing Ecco Bella will cost quite a lot because of shipping and customs.

I am sorry if this question has already been ansvered, but the only thing I can find is informaton about hog hair brushes, and not the makeup brushes.

tabitha
Feb 6th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Im sure The Body Shop could make everything vegan if it tried. Whats the point of saying you are cruelty free when the moisturising stuff has got lanolin - that didnt get there cruelty free did it.

Kevster
Feb 24th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Hmmmmmmm

'L'Oréal mulls £650m Body Shop bid
By Simon English
Published: 24 February 2006
The Body Shop, the cosmetics retailer famed for its ethical stance, faces a potential takeover bid from the French make-up giant L'Oréal.'

'Anita Singh of Peta (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) said: "Big companies are learning that consumers care about compassionate cosmetics. We hope The Body Shop convinces L'Oréal to adopt more ethical standards."'

Well, i don't think this has been the case so far, a little over optimistic, can't say that Cadbury are busy changing their business practices, rather, they are reaping profits from the fair trade market as well as the exploitation market, it's all about the bottom line. That said, perhaps it is less tough for L'oreal to stop animal testing?

RedWellies
Feb 24th, 2006, 10:19 AM
That said, perhaps it is less tough for L'oreal to stop animal testing?
I put a response from L'Oreal about animal testing in another post (think it was something to do with hair/cosmetics). They told me they voluntarily stopped testing in 1989.

Kevster
Feb 24th, 2006, 01:42 PM
But the base ingredients they use have been tested, it is just the finished article that has not.

http://www.naturewatch.org/shoppingguide/loreal_response.asp

Kevster
Feb 24th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Slightly harsh satire piece i also happened to find when searching for L'Oreal....

http://www.comedyclub.co.za/feature/feature130.html

Gorilla
Feb 27th, 2006, 12:57 PM
ha ha, that's funny Kevster. :D

i really hope L'Oreal don't buy the Body Shop :mad: there's no way the acquisition of such a company would make L'Oreal change their policies. i read today that Lush are considering buying the Body Shop as well, which would certainly be preferable, but obviously they wouldn't be able to offer the huge sum of money that L'Oreal can :(

VeganMoominGirl
Feb 27th, 2006, 01:09 PM
I hate The Body Shop. For all they've supposedly done for animal rights, they're an incredibly hypocritical company. They base their public image on a) no animal testing, whilst using animal derived ingredients in their products and b) being natural whilst having toxic nasties in their products such as sodium laureth sulphate, and methyl/propyl parabens, ingredients which are NOT GOOD for humans or the environment. I'm not at all surprised by this pending corporate sellout. They've been little more than a PR campaign for the greater glory of "saint" Anita Roddick since their inception. There are FAR more ethically minded and truely natural companies that I prefer to spend my hard earned cash on. Its the existence of companies like Green People and Faith In Nature that put The Body Shops' paltry efforts to shame. Roll on Lo'real, expose The Body Shop for what they really are I say - money grabbing corporate facists using the ethical bandwagon for their own capitalist ends. (rant over lol!)

lozza
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:24 AM
while the body shop are buav approved, i dont see the bunny logo anywhere on any of their products (went in yesterday to have a look around).

and yeah i noticed there was quite a lot of lanolin & beeswax in most of their products. there were a few products that had glycerin as the only questionable ingredient, but i dont know if its animal or plant based.

i want to email them and ask..but i heard that they are murder to deal with..

even though they are buav approved, i think i am still going to steer well clear, cos i know that if i start buying stuff from there, somewhere along the line i am going to end up with a product that has animal ingredients.

also..i dont like thier attitude about most other ethical issues. i do believe they are exploiting 3rd world countries.

i prefer lush anyway :) i really hope they dont buy over the body shop..cos i can see them being bought over from l'oreal. grrr.then where will i shop?