PDA

View Full Version : Water

Pages : [1] 2 3

Cryospark
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Ok now I've just looked at some information on water.
I'd like to know what people here tend to drink tap water, bottled/distilled water or other, you will have to read the label on your bottles of water. Many supposedly spring waters are merely purified/distilled tapwater.
This is a pole of sorts, also to see if anyone has any special water I dunno about

Roxy
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:47 PM
In our fridge we keep a large plastic bottle - I think it's 11 litres worth. It has a little tap on the bottom of it, so getting the water out for when you want a drink, or to use in cooking, is easy. Each week, we refill it at our local grocery store. They have a machine where you can fill your containers with reverse-osmosis water. It only costs a couple of dollars and it tastes so much better than tap water. I think it's probably a lot healthier than tap water too!

rosie108
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:58 PM
You are so lucky roxy! reverse osmosis water is the purest you can get........i looked into having a system fitted in my kitchen but it's way too expensive.........

i drink tap water.......it tastes pretty bad...........but i can't afford to buy bottled water, and its true that a lot of it isn't much better than tap water anyway...........it's not ideal to have your water stored in plastic bottles either, as the plastic contaminates the water..........

i read an interesting book the other day called "The pH Miracle" by Robert and Shelley Young, they advocate a vegan diet for health reasons..............one of the things they advocate is drinking a gallon, yes, a gallon of water a day...........now i can't drink that much, but i have considerably increased my water intake after reading what they said..........

the other interesting thing from that book was that they suggest you put pH drops in your water to make it more alkaline, pH drops are simply hydrogen peroxide, which you can buy cheaply from your local chemist. I've been doing this for a while..........you can't taste the drops, as there are hardly any per litre..........

i posted about hydrogen peroxide on another site, and was given loads of info about how if ingested it can cause serious problems, so that has made me wonder whether it's such a good idea..........

unfortunately, even though the Youngs have a website, promoting their stuff, there is no way to contact them with questions.

Anyway, i thought i'd post this stuff here in case anyone is interested.

rosie

Cryospark
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Yep alkalinity in the water helps clear up excess acids in your body but most waters are distilled and the nutrients once in them removed. Drinking to much distilled water has a chelating effect, because the water has no nutrients it takes nutrients from you as it is passed through your system which is kinda bad.

adam antichrist
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:55 PM
What is reverse osmosis?

John
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:04 AM
One thing that annoys me is that when I go to a convenience store, all of the bottled water will be produced by the following corporations: Nestle, Dannon, Pepsico, and Coca Cola. What's the deal, yo? All the garbage produced by tossed away bottles also concerns me.

I drink a lot of tap water and i know that it is chemically polluted. There are chemicals in the water here which mimic estrogen in the body.

foxytina_69
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:37 AM
i drink filtered water, with a brita filter jug. (u just refill it and keep it in the fridge)

Geoff
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:46 AM
I have a reverse osmosis filter which cost about $400. The water really is so much better than what comes out of the tap. Tap water here has about 200ppm of dissolved salts but the filter reduces that to almost nothing.
I just checked and the figures are 215ppm and 5ppm at the moment.
If anyone wants any RO water, just let me know and I'll mail it to you in my patented dehydrated tablet form. That's right - you guessed it - you just add water! :)

Helga
Jun 25th, 2005, 08:04 AM
I am also using the Brita filter jug. The water tastes really good, after the chlorine is removed, but I wonder if it is able to remove the flouride which is added to our water?

Cryospark
Jun 25th, 2005, 08:09 AM
well I'm now drinking rainwater and im hopin it doesnt have anything wrong with it.
flouride is a waste product I don't see why they use it in the first place, i put stevia in my water so it will have nutrients and become closer to how water should be

foxytina_69
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:30 AM
rainwater is dangerous to drink sometimes because it can contain alot of chemicals from pollution and cars and whatnot. (unless its purified)

foxytina_69
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Does BRITA reduce / remove fluoride ?

The BRITA Water Filter System does not remove fluoride from tap water. Fluoride is a negatively charged ion and does not react with the components of the BRITA Filter Cartridge.

http://www.brita.com.au/help/frequently_asked_questions

eve
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I have a 2 litre jug that I fill with tap water every evening, then stand it on a magnet (about 9cm diameter, and 3cm thick). The following day I pour drinks from that jug, and repeat the process each evening. The water tastes just fine. :)

twinkle
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:35 PM
I just drink water as it comes to me from the tap :)

Cryospark
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:27 PM
rainwater is dangerous to drink sometimes because it can contain alot of chemicals from pollution and cars and whatnot. (unless its purified)
Purification would make it no better then distilled water. And I would hope over here it should be ok, it's not like you don't breath those things in everyday.

Yeah tap water kills ;p

Cryospark
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:36 PM
I have a 2 litre jug that I fill with tap water every evening, then stand it on a magnet (about 9cm diameter, and 3cm thick). The following day I pour drinks from that jug, and repeat the process each evening. The water tastes just fine. :)
What does the magnet do? clump all the heavy metals to the bottom? ionize it?

rosie108
Jun 26th, 2005, 12:57 AM
well I'm now drinking rainwater and im hopin it doesnt have anything wrong with it.
flouride is a waste product I don't see why they use it in the first place, i put stevia in my water so it will have nutrients and become closer to how water should be

what's stevia?

Cryospark
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:53 AM
stevia rebaudiana is an additive which has no calories only nutrients and can be used as a sweetener.

Peas'nHominy
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:55 AM
Yep alkalinity in the water helps clear up excess acids in your body but most waters are distilled and the nutrients once in them removed. Drinking to much distilled water has a chelating effect, because the water has no nutrients it takes nutrients from you as it is passed through your system which is kinda bad.

One of my sisters ran into this problem. She was constantly getting UT infections. She is very athletic, and was drinking near a gallon of water a day. The doctor told her she had to cut back on her daily intake of water because it was flushing out what she needed to help keep her from getting the UT infections in the first place. When she cut back on the water (although she still drinks a lot), she stopped having the infections. Darn doctor didn't explain it had to do with what kind of water she was drinking! This is new news to me...I appreciate it! :)

This is a much more desirable water produce then normal but here is also something better then that
a water ionizer the price is very high though
http://www.lifewatersystems.com/ionizer.htm
I was looking over this - it looks really cool. I couldn't figure out if this gets the fluoride out, too. Does anyone know? ...I'll try e-mailing them...

Houston's water is SO absolutely nasty. Blech. (so is the air) :(

eve
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:24 AM
What does the magnet do? clump all the heavy metals to the bottom? ionize it?
Can't tell you the scientific process, but yes, all impurities including those horrid ones they had in Sydney water a while back - cryptospiridium etc - are brought to the bottom, though invisible to the naked eye. So I rinse out the jug before filling up with water again. I bought this magnet at a sports shop when I was living in Adelaide, on the advice of an Indian alternative doctor. I asked the salesgirl: who buys these magnets? and she said "all the guys" - also she was drinking a cup of tea that she placed on the magnet, saying that as the sportsguys benefit from the magnets, she may as well follow suit.

I once had a visit from a vegan napropath (that description was new to me), but he had come from Skandinavia somewhere to help organise the International Vegan Festival (the IVF) a few years back. When he came indoors he asked what water I had, and when I showed him, he tasted some very carefully - looking rather like one of those wine buffs! I half expected him to spit it out, but instead, he helped himself to another glassful and said that is tastes wonderful, and he considered himself an expert on waters. :D

Geoff
Jun 26th, 2005, 09:42 AM
I tested a brand new Brita filter today and, after discarding the first jug full, tap water with a dissolved salt content of 223ppm was only reduced to 181ppm, compared to 5ppm with the RO filter so it seems that the Brita filter doesn't do much at all. :)

foxytina_69
Jun 26th, 2005, 11:45 AM
youre supposed to soak the filter for fifteen minutes first, then run a whole jug through it a few times before u can drink the water. :confused:

Peas'nHominy
Jun 27th, 2005, 05:42 PM
I was looking over this - it looks really cool. I couldn't figure out if this gets the fluoride out, too. Does anyone know? ...I'll try e-mailing them...

I heard back from them, this is what they had to say:

When the water from your tap passes through the electolysis chamber the positive ions (cation) like calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium are attracted to the negative electrode creating ionized alkaline water that you consume.

From our understanding fluoride is a negatively charged ion or anion and is attracted to the positive charged electrode in the electrolysis chamber (as are other anions) and makes the ionized acidic water. This water you don't consume but can be used topically as an antiseptic or for watering your plants.

Basically when the water passes through The Fountain of Life it is split into two types of water from your original tap water, an ionized alkaline water and an ionized acidic water.

...I'm trying to understand if this means I can have fluoride-free drinking water if I use this product...maybe I need a little more sleep before I can comprehend this :o tee-hee :D

Cryospark
Jun 28th, 2005, 03:19 AM
yes this means the flouride is like the other substance the electrolysis chamber extracts it and it goes into the acidic water outlet with the rest of the negatively charged uneccessary anions. pretty awesome huh, the acid water is also a topical aniseptic, and gives trace minerals and such to your plants, when u water them with it.
Hope that clears it up for you.

Peas'nHominy
Jun 28th, 2005, 03:30 AM
Awesome! Thank you! :D