PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Chips?

CloverKitty
Jun 25th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Anyone know of chocolate chips that are vegan? Can any be found in "normal" grocery stores in the US - or whole foods market?

darcydove
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:31 AM
sunspire makes some vegan carob chips.. i've found them in both special stores and regular grocery stores. they aren't quite as sweet, but they are a good replacement, taste pretty good, and are pretty reasonable (as in price)

dd

Tigerlily
Jun 25th, 2005, 04:41 AM
I believe most semi-sweet chocolate chips are vegan.

Tropical Source also makes vegan "milk" chocolate chips or something. But it's way more expensive.

FR
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:25 PM
I am pretty sure Tropical Source chocolate chips are carried in conventional grocery outlets. I would not call those outlets "normal", though.

Cryospark
Jun 25th, 2005, 01:57 PM
can't you just get cocoa or carob powder add a milk and whatever you want for flavour experiment and make your own blend to your own taste.

Tigerlily
Jun 25th, 2005, 05:50 PM
can't you just get cocoa or carob powder add a milk and whatever you want for flavour experiment and make your own blend to your own taste.

What if she's using it for chocolate chip cookies?

CloverKitty
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:37 AM

Yeah, I was thinking chocolate chip cookies. Plus I'm lazy. :D

CloverKitty
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:38 AM
Thanks all.

Kiva Dancer
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:28 AM
check lables, of course but I've read that ghiradelli bittersweet chips is supposed to be vegan.

maybe it's the semi-sweet that's vegan (sorry... really long day, me). :)

if that fails, I would then suggest getting a bar of Lindt chocolate. Look for the dark stuff that's in the white lable. it's vegan (but again, read lables). If you're doing something like chocolate chip cookies, you can break up the bar enough to duplicate chips and it should work if your chips are large enough.

Seaside
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Both the Ghiradelli bittersweet and semisweet chips are vegan, and the baking bars are, but the dark chocolate bar is not. Sunspire also makes vegan dark chocolate chips, they just don't use the word "vegan" on the label like they do for the carob chips.

Wildflower
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:01 PM
I used to buy Ghiradelli Semi-Sweet gigantic pound bags for cheap (maybe 7dollars for 5lbs?) at Sam's Club. But now they only carry Bitterweet, which has milk in it.

The Ghiradelli are great and cheap if you can get the 5lb or whatever bags at a Sam's or CostCo type store. It is good chocolate, I loved it before going vegan as well and it was my fav chocolate chip brand. They also make a vegan cocoa. Mixed with vanilla soymilk and you get yummy hot chocolate...and throw in some amaretto!

Veganbear
Jun 26th, 2005, 09:17 PM
I think the Wal-Mart brand semi-sweet chocolate chips are vegan. I know some kinds have milkfat in them, and some don't.

just_a_grrrl
Aug 22nd, 2005, 02:37 PM
^I checked a few days ago and the walmart brand wasn't vegan...but I can't remember what it had in it.