PDA

View Full Version : Horrendous food experience!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

VeganJohn
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:27 PM
I am still reeling from what has happened. My mother bought some vegetable spring rolls from Morrisons, the ingredients clearly stated that nothing other than bean sprouts, water chestnuts etc. were in the product.

A few hours ago I decided to eat them cold, straight from the fridge. I thought the contents were a little too 'chewy' and on closer inspection was horrified to discover that they contained small prawns :eek:

I have kept the packet with some of the remaining spring rolls. I feel sick and rather weak.

:mad:

sugarmouse
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:45 PM
sue the b*stards!!!lol i would!! what exactly did the ingredients say?? :confused:

VeganJohn
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Just got the packet.....

It says:

Ingredients: Vegetable spring rolls with beansprouts, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts.

What do you think I should do, ask for a refund??

:confused:

lolamako
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:59 PM
You really could sue them, I mean what if it was something you were really allergic to?

Youd be doing the public a service to let everyone know that they are lax with there ingredients...

At the very least COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN. If theres anything else that they make that you can have, trust, and like, then get free vouchers for everything.

I hate to say it, Ive worked entirely to much retail, BUT " The squeeky wheel gets the grease"

pixeequeen
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:15 PM
I agree that you should complain here, that is a horrible thing to happen. You took every care about checking what you eat, and they make a mistake that means you are faced with something against your strong beliefs. That is very wrong, and I am glad you have told us that it happened (so we know to be extra careeful with Morrsions) but the emphasis should be on them checking (and seemingly changing) their protocol! I hope your ok, that was very much their fault not yours. hug. PQ

sugarmouse
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=lolamako]You really could sue them, I mean what if it was something you were really allergic to?

ITA!!!get wot u can out of the f**kers.lol id be mad! :mad:

tasha
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:34 PM
What are prawns? Seafood?

I am allergic to most seafood, when I was little I swelled up like a balloon after tasting lobster.

I'd be very peeved if that happened to me, not only because I'm vegan, but because it could harm me physically (if prawns are seafood!).

I'd definitly say something to them, people should be aware of what they are eating. The restaurant should be honest about their ingrediants, let them know it could cost them a lot of money in the future...people do sue over these things if they are allergic or if it is against their religious/spiritual belief.

VeganJohn
Jun 26th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Thanks for all the support! Prawns are seafood, yes. Although I am not allergic to seafood, I know of two people who are and who would have got very ill if it had happened to them.

I have kept a few of the rolls in the packet with the clearly stated ingredients and put them in the fridge. I still feel sick to my stomach and quite annoyed.

littleTigercub
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:17 PM
I am sorry that this happened to you and agree with the others that this is not on ly distressing for you as a vegan but also extremely dangerous for those allergic to seafood.

I don`t exactly know about suing them, but yet, I would take this back, ask for a refund and also write to the highest manager you can get contact details from and complain about the *grossly* misleading packaging!¬

littleTigercub

Roxy
Jun 28th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Hi VeganJohn - what an awful thing to have happen! I hope you are feeling okay now.

Did you decide to take the matter further? Let us know what happens.

((((hugs)))))
Roxy.

tails4wagging
Jun 28th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Contact your nearest Trading standards dept,. Freeze those rolls for evidence. See what trading standards suggest.

I would'nt buy fresh air from morrisons, dont like them or trust them!!.

VeganJohn
Jun 28th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I am going away today until the weekend but I have two rolls left in the packet. I will freeze them before I leave later today. I fully intend to take the matter further.

I never shop at Morrisons personally, my mother had just bought them. Morrisons do have a fairly decent 'free from' range though.

La
Jun 28th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Hello

eeeuh that must have been horrible

don't just ask for a refund, write to head office (saying that if they like you'll send them a sample) (and posh english always helps like 'i was most distressed that upon tucking in i found a shrimp'....etc etc, throw in a bit of praise like 'i always shop at morrisons as i have always found your produce to be of the utmost quality' sort of thing and then see how much in vouchers they send you - if you don't think it's enough complain again and say you'll write to the local paper...free food is always good even if its morrisons...

trading standards maybe but it could just have been a mess up in the factory....

AbFab
Jul 14th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Hi, Vegan John. Have you got an update for us? I for one am very interested to know what happened.

I have bought these vegetable spring rolls from Morrisons too, I have never had prawns in mine, but I don't think I'll risk it any more. I hardly ever buy anything packaged, but I thought I'd be safe with simple vegetable spring rolls. I am feeling quite ill at the thought, you poor thing.
I've never eaten prawns, I always thought they were a really gross thing to want to put in your mouth.

VeganJohn
Jul 19th, 2005, 10:36 PM
I'm afraid I have not done anything yet. I have been too busy working full time in a very dull job to pay off my student debt! The remaining 'fishy' spring rolls are still in the freezer in the packet.

A few people have told me that it would be a waste of time complaining and it wouldn't achieve anything due to the reason for the mistake probably being a mix up with a labelling machine. Apparently a 'complaining vegan' wouldn't ruffle any feathers at Morrisons.

I still have the evidence mind you, spring rolls containing dead prawns in a clearly labelled 'vegetarian' packet!

pixeequeen
Jul 20th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Bollocks to them not listening at all! It is sooooooo at least worth a try, and considering the potential implications - severe moral distress, potential allergy problems, they cannot let things like this happen, and should apologise and offer you stuff and question their production modes. And NEVER consider yourelf "just a complaining vegan", one consumers voice is alot different to noones voice, and they may never be aware of their mistakes if noone told them

l337_v3g4n_1
Jul 20th, 2005, 01:03 AM
SUE!
i reccomend not getting vouchers for more of their food, that''d be just plain silly :p

Sue them for 5 mill!

librahi
Jul 20th, 2005, 02:01 AM
you know, i had a smilar experience when i was just converting. i was not yet totally vegan, but ordered a wrap from Jersey Mike's subs. Milk free wrap with veggies sauteed in it, hold the cheese. i got this after a bad experience with a bad salad there a few weeks before. i was eating it, it was great, then a piece of steak fell out. i was fuming! i called and spoke with the manager and told her that i was a vegetarian for very strict beliefs. she apologized and said sorry, we were busy and cooked a steak one right next to yours. luckily, i didn't eat it, but i was pissed. i did nothing but lecture to her that people could be alergic even and they just can't do that. what idiots! i wished i would have sued. go for it man, i would honestly raise some hell about it. good luck.

puffin
Jul 20th, 2005, 11:53 AM
:eek: I would have been really angry about that librahi. It is so hard to trust anyone. I still read everything on the back of packets even if it says vegan on it, i just cant help myself, but when you go out to eat we should expect to get what we asked for.
My husband who is veggie picked up a veggie pasty at a resturant once, bit into it and realized it had meat in it, he wasnt very happy as you can imagine

snaffler
Jul 20th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Grill the B*****ds, errmm Morrisons that is not the spring rolls.
Personally I would gurn in a bag and place it on the customers services desk and when asked what this is, I would reply the reaction of my seafood allergy triggered by your stores idiotic labelling system. :D

Kiran
Jul 20th, 2005, 01:40 PM
The majority of the people here say you must sue them!! So do I... You tell morrisions what vegan power is. It must also set an example to many other stores. meat might not only be allergic, but against our principles. veganism is like religion.. make no compromisies. Sue them lot..and keep us updated...

Roxy
Jul 20th, 2005, 06:38 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I ordered some veggie spring rolls from a local Thai restaurant, along with a few other items. My boyfriend went and paid and picked up our meals and brought them home.

I took a bite out of my first spring roll and immediately spat it back out. Something tasted rancid. Upon closer inspection, there was little bits of ground meat in there!!!!!! I felt so sick!!!! I immediately called the restaurant, told them of their error and asked them to replace the spring rolls with vegetarian ones. I also said that I wouldn't be coming to pick them up as I was in the middle of my dinner, and that they would have to deliver them.

The did deliver them, and gave me a double serving. I guess it was a simple mistake by someone in the kitchen. However, a mistake that better not happen again!!

Yoggy
Jul 20th, 2005, 06:59 PM
I also said that I wouldn't be coming to pick them up as I was in the middle of my dinner, and that they would have to deliver them.

The did deliver them, and gave me a double serving.

You GO girl! I'm glad you didn't sit back and let that one slide. And making them deliver the spring rolls--that was awesome. Damn I wish I had your guts!

Roxy
Jul 20th, 2005, 08:01 PM
LOL - thanks. I am just sick and tired of not getting what I ask for and pay for.

Last week, I ordered a veggie pizza with no cheese. And what should turn up.....a veggie pizza WITH cheese. I called and raised supreme shit. They sent me out a fresh pizza and a $5 credit for next time.

VeganJohn
Jul 20th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Ok, I will get some form of complaint filed with my local Morrisons over the next few weeks.

Thanks for the encouragement folks!