PDA

View Full Version : Vegans in the New Jersey

Pages : [1] 2 3

John
Jul 10th, 2004, 07:55 AM
I know you exist, but just wondering if you were here.

John
Jul 18th, 2004, 07:59 AM
I guess I'm the only vegan in the People's Vegan Republic of New Jersey (PVRNJ). That's OK, Wow this tofu tastes good.

feline01
Aug 10th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Hi John,

Me and my husband are both vegans, exit 120 GSP. What exit are you?:)

John
Aug 10th, 2004, 08:52 PM
It's a ghost town here around here. I guess everyone's down the shore.

feline01
Aug 10th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Then you're missing all the great veg*n places like Zafra in New Brunswick, Veggie Heaven in Parsippany (though there's one in Teaneck) and my favorite, Veggie Works in Belmar. Pity.

John
Aug 10th, 2004, 09:16 PM
I go to the Veggie Heavens all the time! I hear that there is going to be a vegan cafe opening up in Toms River too. I hope they do well. Sometimes I have to stuff myself in Manhattan. If I lived there I would get so fat. I like to pile my plate high at Temple in The Village which is a buffet.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Phoenix20
Aug 30th, 2004, 02:24 AM
I think I am down further south than you guys.. camden county area.

John
Aug 30th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Well, welcome aboard anyhow. :) How's the weather down there?

feline01
Aug 30th, 2004, 01:29 PM
They did open the vegan place in Toms River, haven't been there but a friend has and says it is good. I have the menu, not extensive but they make homemade gluten/seitan. I doubt anyplace will replace Veggie Works for me though. Never been to Temple in the Village, we're fans of Red Bamboo, Gobo and we did like Veg City Diner. The choices in NYC are amazing. Have you been to Foodswings in Brooklyn yet? It is phenomenal, vegan junk food. Certainly not what one would want to eat regularly but when you need a grease/salt/fat fix, this is the place.

BTW: NJ Film Festival at Rutgers U is showing Peaceable Kingdom on 9/30. If you haven't seen it yet, it's well worth the trip to New Brunswick. Bring loads of tissues though.

Sue

John
Aug 31st, 2004, 02:05 AM
I love the buffalo wings/drumsticks at Red Bamboo. I just had some yesterday.

feline01
Aug 31st, 2004, 02:25 AM
I like the crispy soul chicken and my husband loves the bourbon chicken. It's such a great place for anything. Have you heard anything about Veg City reopening? I heard they were fighting with the city about a water bill and the city won't license them now.

VeganBohemian
Sep 6th, 2004, 07:32 PM
<----vegan in the Garden State! And I think the only one here in North Jersey...and so far north that I don't even HAVE an exit on the GSP!

I love how Jersey is always segregated! lol But, I'm going to college in South Jersey so I have the best of both worlds! haha! :D Monmouth University babay :)

Favorite NJ veg restaurants:

When I'm at college:

1 - Down to Earth in Red Bank (all vegan and 2 minutes from my college...did I mention they have take out? haha)
2 - Veggie Works in Belmar (lacto veg/vegan and really nice people)
3 - Zafras

When I'm home in Morris County:

1 - Veggie Heaven (mostly vegan)
2 - The one in Cherry Hill that I forget the name of! Good food though!

NY:

1 - VegCity Diner (RIP and no longer there!)
2 - Candle Cafe

Took a trip to San Francisco and ate at:

1 - Millenium (OMG SOOOO GOOD!)
2 - Greens

John
Sep 13th, 2004, 08:56 PM
I just went to Down to Earth for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoyed the food there. I had a plate of nachos for the first time in years. That was the first time I had been to Red Bank and I had a good time there.

VeganBohemian
Sep 13th, 2004, 09:21 PM
I was just there on Thursday! I LOVE Red Bank...did you go into any of the specialty stores? They have awesome vintage products at this one store...I forget the name of it though.

feline01
Sep 14th, 2004, 01:47 AM
The chocolate chip hemp seed cookies at Down to Earth are phenomenal as is the chickpea socca and tomato pudding. The owner is also the mom of a vegan baby, thanks to her we have a great vegan-friendly pediatrician.

Anyone ever go to the vegan potluck held monthly in Lincroft NJ? I think it's Lincroft, it's at a church there. I was wondering what it was like.

John
Sep 14th, 2004, 01:50 AM
I didn't get to check out the stores in Red Bank. I had a beer at a bar, went to Down to Earth, and went down to a park by the water. It's good to know that there is a vintage shop there. Lately I've been checking out towns I've never been to. I recently visited New Hope, PA. There was a small vegetarian juice bar where I had a wrap which was pretty good.

VeganBohemian
Sep 14th, 2004, 03:25 PM
There is a lot of awesome vintage stores and also juice bars in Red Bank...I love that town! They have a holistic medication place where you can go get aromatherapy done. There is this place called Java Moon Cafe that is awesome too next time you're in the area! :)

John
Sep 17th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Vegan potluck? Wow, I'm going to have to find out where Lincroft is.

I always thought that it would be cool to do aroma therapy. Sitting around smelling good-smelling stuff.

VeganBohemian
Sep 17th, 2004, 02:44 PM
I wanna go to a vegan potluck!!!!!!!!!!!!

feline01
Sep 17th, 2004, 02:54 PM
I got the info about the vegan potluck in my NJARA (NJ Animal Rights Alliance) newsletter. Next time I receive it, I'll post the information here. If anyone goes, please let me know how it is. I don't want to drag little babies to something that might suck.

feline01
Oct 6th, 2004, 02:31 PM
I had mentioned this vegan potluck before but I just received my NJARA newsletter with the information. It's held the first friday of each month at 6:30pm at Unitarian Universalist Meeting House, 1475 W. Front St, Lincroft NJ and you need to bring a vegan dish to share. The contact is Carol Ann at carolannlee@comcast.net. I have never been to this, just wanted to share. If anyone goes, please let me know how it was.

John
Oct 6th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Cool, thanks! It would have never occured to me that there might have been a vegan potluck somewhere. :)

Katalina
Oct 10th, 2004, 11:49 PM
North Jersey Vegan here! currently in Hawthorne, moving back to Bloomfield soon hopefully, and i go to school in Cranford. :)

John
Oct 11th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Hi. We're practically neighbors. I went to school in Cranford too, but that was kindergarden.

Katalina
Oct 11th, 2004, 04:11 AM
i had never even heard of cranford before i started at ucc. but yeah, i'm way more of a bloomfield girl. cant wait to escape hawthorne.