PDA

View Full Version : Food you eat really often?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

ConsciousCuisine
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Here is what I do regularly that is kinda like a vegemite sandwich...it has that whole fermented-yeasty thing going on...

1 t. unpasteurized dark red miso
1 ripe avocado
1 T. Red Star Nutritional Yeast
1/2 t. each onion/garlic powder (or fresh onion and garlic that has been finely minced)
1 t. Veganaise or raw, cold pressed oil
a dash of cayenne

(I make this as a "live" dish and put fresh onion and garlic that has been finely minced and use avocado oil or olive oil instead of Veganaise)

mash the avocado and mix all the rest together. Spread on toast or crackers with sliced tomato or fill lettuce leaves with this and make a lettuce wrap with sprouts and whatever chopped raw veggies you'd like!

My daughter LOVES this, and her favorite breakfast is "avocado toast" (this spread on essene or sprouted sesame ezekiel bread)

We also love young coconuts! We regularly eat one a few times a week and one daily when we are 100% raw. Nothing beats a baby coconut!

Roxy
Jul 14th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Hmmmmm - the more I learn about Kraft - the more it discourages me from purchasing vegemite. Does Marmite taste about the same?

Roxy

artbeat
Jul 14th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Food I eat really often? Indian veg curry with brown rice, beans, lentils or chickpeas and a big greenish salad.

Amaya
Jul 15th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Veggie dogs with ketchup and soy cheese on it

and oranges, i love fruit.

eve
Jul 15th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Hmmmmm - the more I learn about Kraft - the more it discourages me from purchasing vegemite. Does Marmite taste about the same?
Roxy Yes, very similar, but I prefer Marmite. My daughter prefers Promite which is also vegan. The last time I went to visit her in the US, I took some along at her request. Now, after searching the web, I found a place for her to buy Promite by mail from a city not too far away from where she lives.

Gorilla
Jul 16th, 2004, 12:06 AM
i looove raw carrots dipped in hummus, try not to eat it every day but i would if i could!

i usually eat organic muesli for breakfast, i eat bananas nearly every day, i also eat a lot of apples, carrots, peas and sweetcorn, onions and garlic (nice breath!). the whole Marmite thing's confusing me as i like it a lot but the parent company that owns it seems dodgy :confused:

i also eat a lot of tofu, pasta, curry (especially dhal) and beans.

Roxy
Jul 16th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Thanks Eve

I'm pretty sure that I can buy Marmite here - so when my vegemite runs out, I am going to buy a jar of that instead. I'll let you know how it goes :o

Roxy

Mystic
Jul 16th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Gorilla, I love dhal too...How do you make yours?

...I also usually eat bananas every day!

Gorilla
Jul 16th, 2004, 08:26 PM
i have two wonderful dhal recipes, one for just spiced lentils and another for mixed vegetable dal. they're both from the Vegan Feasts cookbook by Rose Elliot. i love to eat them with basmati rice and tomato and onion salad :D

Mystic
Jul 16th, 2004, 11:21 PM
I have a split pea dhal and a red lentil dhal - both are spiced slightly different. Because I eat them so often (coz its cheap and relatively quick), I like to vary it, so I will add chickpeas or pumpkin or potatoes or something. I have it with brown rice and a salad made from tomato, cucumber, spring onion and coriander with lemon juice!!!!

cedarblue
Jul 17th, 2004, 02:07 PM
marmite for me :) vegemite has a kind of funny aftertaste :(

DontJustDoSomething, SitThere
Jul 18th, 2004, 07:12 AM
I eat brown rice, tahini, avocado, green salad and garlic almost every day - in form or another.

Michelle
Jul 21st, 2004, 04:31 AM
granola for breakfast almost every single day
watermelon almost every day during the summer
brown rice several times a week
tomato sandwiches almost everyday when I get them free from a coworker's garden :D
corn on the cob several times a week when it's in peak season

i am really bad about getting on food kicks and eating a particular group of foods over and over until I get burned out.

Cloudy
Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:46 PM
i have two wonderful dhal recipes, one for just spiced lentils and another for mixed vegetable dal. they're both from the Vegan Feasts cookbook by Rose Elliot. i love to eat them with basmati rice and tomato and onion salad :D

Get 'em posted then!

Sofia
Jul 24th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Wow! I had no idea you could use vegemite in sandwiches and stuff!
We just bought our first jar last month from a UK food delivery, but thought it was only for sauces. So we've been disappointed... Can't wait to try a vegemite sandwich now ;)

About what food I eat, I usually go through obcessive phases. Once it's passed, I can't remember what I ate (no, I'm not a lunatic, promise! ;))

At the moment, it's green lentil sandwich. We tried it by coincidence, and now it's a quick lunch favorite! 2 slices of wholewheat toast bread, vegan margarine or vegan mayo (homemade is best!) on one slice, and ketchup on the other slice. A thick layer of (slightly over-)boiled green lentils in between.

foxytina_69
Jul 24th, 2004, 04:31 PM
About what food I eat, I usually go through obcessive phases. Once it's passed, I can't remember what I ate (no, I'm not a lunatic, promise! ;))

i do that too LOL. right now mine is fries :rolleyes:

Sheena
Jul 25th, 2004, 01:20 AM
I am all for things that I can cook in one pot,the thing i would eat most often is a lentil savoury 'mince'. Three quarters cook the lentils then fry some onion, add the lentils and a tin or two of diced tomato,and whatever vegetables you have. Simmer until the lentils are tender. Yummy. If Im feeling especially industrious, Ill add come cooked chickpeas and beans and serve it on a bed of brown rice.

Mystic
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:00 PM
I have a sweet tooth...and at the moment I am really into dates - well date anything - majool dates, chinese red dates, date spread, date and almond logs, date and coconut logs, date slices, date and walnut cake....just to name a few

My boyfriend loves his savoury stuff - he has a thing for chips (crisps), corn chips and these things we have in Australia called barbecue shapes (not vegan). I guess they are just savoury biscuits.

I also go through strawberry jam on toast phases, avocado phases and in the summer I really get into the mangos. How I miss mangos!!!!

Tofu Monster
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:06 PM
jam doughnuts! :p

why oh why did my 'animal free shopper' have to mention that tesco doughnuts are vegan. the bastards! :rolleyes:

*getting fat* :eek:

aqaneve
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:17 PM
i'm totally a soy milk-with-wholewheat-bread-fan! and when i put some bitter cocoa powder into soy milk, it tastes even better... i could sell my mother for it! ..(of course i'm joking! :D )...

and not to forget 99% bitter chocolate.... mmmmm

foxytina_69
Sep 9th, 2004, 02:15 PM
i go thru phases too. i go thru pasta phases, fry, chip, orange phases....

Artichoke47
Sep 9th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Eggplant and side salads. I just love them!

simplyveganish
Sep 9th, 2004, 08:37 PM
simply apples and bananas during the week and ice lollies at weekends. Plus plenty of ripe blackberries in the field hedges at the moment.

wuggy
Sep 9th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Homous with anything, especially peanuts. Homemade carrot cake, melons, and Veggie Ribs.

Cyan
Sep 9th, 2004, 09:11 PM
I can't get enough (unfrosted) cinnamon pop tarts and kale. but not together. ;)