PDA

View Full Version : Food you eat really often?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

LittleNellColumbia
Sep 6th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Hey! You really got a sense of humour here...http://veganforum.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif I like that!

Eating is like sex. Past the point of keeping the body alive, or past the point of procreation, you do it for other reasons. Sure, sexual intercourse is another way to express love and closeness between two individuals in love. But it is often used to express power or control, or to seek attention, or affection, or to fill a sense of insecurity. Wanting to be needed. Or punished.

Same thing with food. People eat past their needs in an attempt to deal with their sense of insecurity, of loneliness, of low self-esteem. To make up for things in their lives that they perceive as missing or not adequate.

I've been eating for more than 40 years. I don't use food to make up for other things. If I had a choice, I wouldn't eat. I could spend that time doing other activities. I don't use food except to keep this body of mine alive. I know the importance of a healthy physical body (and a healthy mental body too).

The body is like a vehicle. Take good care of it and you'll be able to count on it for a very long time. Unless your destiny is to die relatively young.

Hey there! This is exactly how food is meant to be viewed, but over the years society has contorted its purposes. I am one who enjoys the tastes of foods, but id rather not have to eat it. I cant wait till im older, then maybe i will see food as more of a life-giver than a source of pleasure. Not that enjoyment of food is bad no way! but itd just be good to be satified with its life-promoting benefits more than its taste alone!:) :o

foxytina_69
Sep 6th, 2005, 10:48 AM
i eat cause its yummy :p

1.hemp oil
2.nettle tea
3.nutritional yeast

Mystic
Sep 6th, 2005, 09:45 PM
i eat cause its yummy :p

I second that

Tigerlily
Sep 6th, 2005, 09:57 PM
1. Sugar (it's in everything, my soymilk, my cereals, my tea....)
2. Oatmeal
3. Bananas

Although I'm trying to make the following 3 a part of everyday eating:

1. Flax oil
2. Kale
3. Soymilk

screamingcarrot
Sep 6th, 2005, 10:17 PM
carrots
fruit
soya

tipsy
Sep 6th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Eating is like sex.

why does every topic around here turn into a sex conversation :confused: !!!

just kidding guys!!!

ok, im going back to the content issues thread now... :o :p

Gliondrach
Sep 6th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Tea.

Bread.

Various nuts and seeds.

Tigerlily
Sep 6th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Lately I've been eating a lot of white bread. Gah!

$1 for normal white bread verus $5 for Sprouted Grain bread. Keep in mind: Unemployed student!

Artichoke47
Sep 6th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Plant-based milk

Ground flaxseeds

Legume of some type

ChocolatBlanc
Sep 7th, 2005, 01:40 AM
I think the only things I eat almost every day are various food bars and carrots.

cafejane
Sep 7th, 2005, 01:55 AM
1) Alfalfa sprouts
2) Soy Milk
3) Nuts

I'm so hooked on sprouts that I've actually wondered if I could hinder my health with overconsumption? I eat half a carton a day. Someone tell me it's safe so I can eat a whole carton a day!!!

eve
Sep 7th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Like you, I have soymilk and nuts every day, but don't eat sprouts (other than brussels!). A third item I consume every day is green vegies of some sort and fruit. Sorry, that makes 4! :)

Spiral
Sep 7th, 2005, 09:28 AM
1. Chocolate
2. Chocolate
3. Chocolate
It's good for you, honestly :D

ZZ
Sep 7th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Regarding alfafa sprouts, I stopped eating such thing after I read an article about it some years ago. I used to eat it in salads.

I don't remember the source of the article, but after doing a google search on "alfafa sprouts health", I found this...

http://www.dhs.state.or.us/publichealth/archive/1999/0212acd.cfm

"All consumers, particularly those at greatest risk for severe disease (very young children, the elderly, and immunocompromised persons), should consider this risk when deciding whether to eat alfalfa sprouts"

http://www.anapsid.org/sprouts2.html

"Still not convinced that alfalfa sprouts are not a suitable food in your iguana's diet? Read on - and you may eliminate them from yours!"

"As a raw agricultural product, alfalfa seeds in the field are exposed to potentially disease carrying rodents or birds"

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=2212

"Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis (swelling of the lining the heart) and arthritis"

cafejane
Sep 7th, 2005, 03:37 PM
ZZ!! I never knew. Thank you for sharing. I'm too stubborn to give them up right now. *hides face* I do wash them thoroughly, but I know that it wouldnt help that much?

And I know that even though I'm not in that section of the US, it could apply to me sometime as well.

Thank you for some background on them. I dont hear very much except how much of a dieretic they are & they make your hair grow like crazy. It got me excited. Now I feel sad.

andesuma
Sep 7th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I never knew. Thank you for sharing. I'm too stubborn to give them up right now. *hides face* I do wash them thoroughly, but I know that it wouldnt help that much?

And I know that even though I'm not in that section of the US, it could apply to me sometime as well.

Thank you for some background on them. I dont hear very much except how much of a dieretic they are & they make your hair grow like crazy. It got me excited. Now I feel sad.

Why not just switch to Broccoli sprouts??
They are 'suppose' to have 5 times the nutrients of regular broccoli, and they are REALLY good for you! I always put them on my sandwiches and salads..

check it out:
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/94/19/10367
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/press/1997/SEPT/970903.HTM
http://www.broccosprouts.com/

: )

Artichoke47
Sep 7th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Sprouting is fairly easy.

Seaside
Sep 7th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Yes, and home sprouting won't have salmonella or other contamination in it. Its not the sprouts themselves that are bad, but how they are handled and stored commercially. You can get sick from eating at serve yourself salad bars too, but its not because the veggies are bad, they just aren't clean.

ChocolatBlanc
Sep 8th, 2005, 07:54 AM
1. Chocolate
2. Chocolate
3. Chocolate
I must be the healthiest person alive. Add "chocolate", in various forms, to my list of daily foods. :)

SatsumaFloomp
Sep 8th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Let's see....

Whole Wheat lavash bread
potatoes
tomatoes

maya
Sep 8th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Soy milk
Flax seeds
Nuts-walnuts or almonds

Roxy
Sep 8th, 2005, 07:44 PM
1. Chocolate
2. Chocolate
3. Chocolate

Hee-hee :D I like that!

foxytina_69
Sep 8th, 2005, 09:28 PM
cafejane, when my mother was alive and i was sick, she would make me alfalfa sandwiches. it would be just cheese (ofcourse i would use vegan cheese now!) alfalfa sprouts and mayo (vegan mayo aswell) and it was so delicious. because of this thread and u talking about sprouts, im going to hopefully get some today so i can have some comfort food that i forgot about! thanks :D

cafejane
Sep 9th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Awww Foxy, that sounds like such a sentimental moment!! I was raised by meat eater breeders. Sounds like she loved you to bits.

meatless
Sep 9th, 2005, 04:07 PM
The things I eat every day* or nearly every day are:

High fibre cereal with fortified rice dream*
clementines
flax oil, strawberries, banana, pineapple and mango juice (in a smoothie)*
garlic*
tofu
broccoli
tomatoes
coffee*