PDA

View Full Version : Fruitarian / Fruitarianism

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

Free_Tibet
Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:59 AM
jackxattack, I met a fellow some years ago, who called himself Mango. He moved to Spain then to other places. His url is http://fruitnut.net - he has been a fruitarian for yonks! A great guy. :D

Hi Eve,
I visited Mango's site. Nice site. Interesting. He seems like a very kind and gentle person. I felt that from the website. Thanks for sharing.

coconut
Oct 23rd, 2005, 01:32 PM
It is probably near impossible to be a true fruitarian in this day and age. If you are a fruitarian, I wonder if you actually have to pick your own food (to ensure it is ecologically sound)? Industrialisation and development has probably wiped out areas where food grows wild. Then again I know nothing about wild food. There was a wild food workshop near me that I was planning to go to a few weeks ago, but I had transport problems that day. It would have been interesting to see what things humans can live on simply by taking from the forest. If you can still buy your food then I suppose you can be a fruitarian, then you only have to worry about getting adequate nutrition. There are plenty of vegetables you can harvest without killing the plant.

jackxattack
Oct 23rd, 2005, 02:41 PM
jackxattack, I met a fellow some years ago, who called himself Mango. He moved to Spain then to other places. His url is http://fruitnut.net - he has been a fruitarian for yonks! A great guy. :D

awesome! thanks! :)

BxDani
Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:16 PM
pumpkin guy, I recently bought a book about raw veganism by the Boutenko family, some Russian family that eliminated all their severe and less severe health ailments by becoming raw. They provide good insight and have great skin but look rather ill. They are all extremely skinny...i personally don't think it's very healthy" to weigh less than 100 lbs if ur an adult. Its scaryy...these people, though healthy are actually almost frightening to look at.

PumpkinGuy
Oct 24th, 2005, 12:01 AM
BxDani,

Exactly! I guess I'm still vain in that my appearance concerns me if I think I'm getting too thin. For an adult male I think 100 lbs is extremely thin, unless you are less than 5'2" which is a short man. But who am I to say what is "right." I believe that Russian family has cured many of the diseases we encounter from what we eat. Are we to be concerned about being too thin? Is there a different kind of illness to be concerned about?

xwitchymagicx
Oct 24th, 2005, 12:02 AM
I would probably starve on a fruitarian diet.

Atticus
Oct 25th, 2005, 12:42 AM
It indeed is a form of starvation.......
as a former anorexic i was basically a fruitarian during my darkest days.....and trust me i ate ALOT of fruit......

hotpotato
Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:11 AM
From what I understand fruitarians eat nuts and seeds as well as fruit, otherwise they would be hard pressed to get enough calories.

Gliondrach
Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:38 AM
A well known fruitarian in the UK, called Wilfred Crone, died recently in his 90s (I think). He was often mentioned in the old-style Vegan magazines and, more recently, in New Leaves, which is the magazine of the Movement For Compassionate Living. He was a tireless advocate for the diet.

medus
Nov 4th, 2005, 08:02 PM
This one was quite interesting to me:
http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/bio/billings-t-bio-1a.shtml

eve
Nov 5th, 2005, 06:49 AM
I find his raw milk drinking rather off-putting to say the least. :p

treehugga
Nov 7th, 2005, 03:10 AM
protein protein protein ??????????

moochbabe
Nov 7th, 2005, 03:25 AM
well they get their protein from nuts and seeds, however, this is very sketchy to me because how on earth can they get all the amino acids they need for protein... also, in response to is thinness a disease, it is actually, it can cause anemia, and osteoperosis, along with a weak heart and many other serious conditions that can be corrected only through being at a healthy weight...it does not have to do with just vanity y a person should not want to get too thin...

Zanahorias!
Nov 7th, 2005, 03:54 AM
Furthermore, for the person that is too thin, it can be just as upsetting as being overweight. I speak here from personal experience, as it has always been extremely hard for me to gain weight. I'm 5'10" and weight 113 lb., people assume that I have an eating disorder and call me stick boy behind my back.

Worse yet, our society compounds the idea of extreme thinness (think 92 lb. models draped in dead animals). :(

treehugga
Nov 7th, 2005, 03:57 AM
well they get their protein from nuts and seeds, however, this is very sketchy to me because how on earth can they get all the amino acids they need for protein... also, in response to is thinness a disease, it is actually, it can cause anemia, and osteoperosis, along with a weak heart and many other serious conditions that can be corrected only through being at a healthy weight...it does not have to do with just vanity y a person should not want to get too thin...

Exactly :confused:

moochbabe
Nov 7th, 2005, 03:57 AM
too true. i was often called aweful things when i was severely underweight. the worst thing is that ppl feel it's ok to come up to u and tell u what they think of ur body when ur thin, something they would never dare do even to the most severely obese person. ppl have no idea that it is just as hurtful to tell someone they r too thin as it is to tell them they r too heavy

Panda
Nov 7th, 2005, 04:51 AM
before 3pm i only eat fruit. it's all i take to work so i have it for brekky, lunch and snacks. I have been doing this for about a year. its great i love fruit. I have developed a bit of a belly though which kind of sucks because the rest of me is really skinny i wonder if its to many bananas.

Atticus
Nov 9th, 2005, 01:18 AM
I have the disteneded belly too....bloat belly. I am use to it....as long as i am not it pain.

Korn
Dec 15th, 2005, 12:28 AM
This one was quite interesting to me:
http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/bio/billings-t-bio-1a.shtml
It's interesting, but in a weird way... Tom Billings seem to have been forcing himself to live on a special vegan diet that obviously wasn't good for him, and instead of adjusting his diet to a vegan diet that was good for him, he went back to using dairy products. He writes that he 'had to overcome the mental poisons of my own vegan self-indoctrination (i.e., vegan anti-dairy propaganda).' He makes it look like arguments against using dairy products are 'mental poison', while agreeing in those old, worn out arguments pro using dairy products is being 'open' to new ideas:

When you are open to new ideas, a whole new world awaits you. Using dairy products is not a new idea... not using dairy products is a new idea (at least in most parts of the world)!

The main thing that he seems to have missed is that a vegan diet can be a lot of things, including not eating a varied enough diet, eating only vegan junk food etc. Just avoiding animal products in itself doesn't guarantee that you'll be healthy. I may be wrong, but his case definitely looks like someone who has gone from being almost obsessed with certain theories (without knowing enough about nutrition), to not being 'open to new ideas'....

kriz
Dec 15th, 2005, 01:46 AM
It looks like this guy have tried many different diets...Why? Maybe he's addicted to dieting and needs to treat this particular problem instead of trying to pursue perfection and happines through food. From what I read, he's no different than people who are trying improve their life and waistline with the Atkins, Zone, The South Beach diet etc...They're addicted to diets and excited about anything new on the market.

Some people thinks it's just plain cool to go against veganism - the "been there done that" kind of thing.

hotpotato
Dec 15th, 2005, 10:11 AM
not using dairy products is a new idea (at least in most parts of the world)!

I'm not sure this is entirely true - the Chinese, who make up between a quarter and a third of humanity, don't consume diary products, nor do the Japanese, and in many countries in South East Asia dairy products are not widely consumed. Significantly people who live in these countries often enjoy better health, probably as a result. The China Study showed, for example, that althought the mainland Chinese who took part in it had a daily calcium intake which was roughly half that of their American counterparts, osteoporisis was unknown, which proves there are other factors involved in the development of osteoporsis apart from calcium intake, contrary to what the diary industry repeatedly asserts.

englishvegoboi
Dec 15th, 2005, 10:17 AM
, I may be wrong, but his case definitely looks like someone who has gone from being almost obsessed with certain theories (without knowing enough about nutrition), to not being 'open to new ideas'....

I couldn't agree with you more Korn. Even some mainstream magazines are now beginning to highlight the fact that there is absolutely no need for dairy in our diets and how its inclusion can possibly be hazardous to our health in the long term. Some of the world’s cultures with the lowest rates of osteoporosis are practically dairy free.

I am a little cynical when it comes to beyondveg.com as it seems to be geared up to putting veganism down by highlighting failed vegans who so obviously did not have a balanced diet :(

Korn
Dec 15th, 2005, 10:22 AM
not using dairy products is a new idea (at least in most parts of the world)!

I'm not sure this is entirely true - the Chinese, who make up between a quarter and a third of humanity, don't consume diary products, nor do the Japanese, and in many countries in South East Asia dairy products are not widely consumed. Significantly people who live in these countries often enjoy better health, probably as a result. The China Study showed, for example, that althought the mainland Chinese who took part in it had a daily calcium intake which was roughly half that of their American counterparts, osteoporisis was unknown, which proves there are other factors involved in the development of osteoporsis apart from calcium intake, contrary to what the diary industry repeatedly asserts.

Well, there are lots of eg. Asian, African and other people that don't use dairy, I was but they're not vegetarian. The person I was refering to (at beyondveg) seemed to suggest that living on a vegetarian diet that includes dairy products is more 'new' than on a diet without animal products, which of course is wrong; there are millions of lactovegetarians! At beyondveg they are working very hard to create an impression that going back to animal products is something more new, or something more 'modern' than being vegan. IMO the 'beyond' in beyondveg is totally misplaced. I a person wuits smoking and then starts smoking again, he isn't 'beyond' smoking. He just didn't manage to quit!

Korn
Dec 15th, 2005, 10:25 AM
I am a little cynical when it comes to beyondveg.com as it seems to be geared up to putting veganism down by highlighting failed vegans who so obviously did not have a balanced diet :(

Excactly.

Honey Parsnip
Dec 15th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Tragic case from the UK a few years ago:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1542293.stm

(I remembered it as I used to work in Child Protection).