PDA

View Full Version : Fruitarian / Fruitarianism

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

Imported Memory
Jul 25th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Furthermore, for the person that is too thin, it can be just as upsetting as being overweight. I speak here from personal experience, as it has always been extremely hard for me to gain weight. I'm 5'10" and weight 113 lb., people assume that I have an eating disorder and call me stick boy behind my back.

Worse yet, our society compounds the idea of extreme thinness (think 92 lb. models draped in dead animals). :(

I hear ya. For years I was wavering around 110-115lbs. Back then, people used to call me "painfully thin".
Now I'm at my heaviest at 135lbs. Which, I think is still pretty skinny for someone 5'9". I was just thinking about the models as well. I was wondering if any of them are fructarians.

*Edit*
Whoops... Seems like I was reading the second page and mistook it for the last.

health freak
Jul 28th, 2007, 10:26 PM
eating leafy greens doesn't make you a fruitarian but a raw vegan! However, nuts and grains are fruits too. As for the sugar contained in fruits and tha so called potential danger of getting diabetis, i think that when the body is fully adopted to a fruitarian diet, it can't receive huge amounts of natural sugar from fruits and sends signals of saturation. for example, how could one eat two watermelons by themselves so that he would get such sugar quantities that would pose a threat...! Besides, natural fruit sugar is totally different from the white, crystallic, refined sugar which is proved to be VERY VERY unhealthy.

I'm not an expert on fruitarianism. i just try to be a raw vegan (without always managing it) but my instict sais that a diet based on fruits, nuts and seeds could not pose a threat to one's health. A lot of study must be done though...

health freak
Jul 29th, 2007, 08:19 AM
i think that i posted in the wrong page.... they're similar

cedarblue
Jul 29th, 2007, 10:16 AM
eating leafy greens doesn't make you a fruitarian but a raw vegan! However, nuts and grains are fruits too.

i agree with you there.

cedarblue
Nov 11th, 2007, 01:23 PM
richard blackman;

http://www.care2.com/c2c/people/profile.html?pid=961636071

is a well known fruitarian - he doesn't eat any greens, nuts etc.

there seems to be a split on what fruitarian can mean - i have found other trains of thought which say that fruitarians are simply raw vegans though, incorporating greens, veggies etc.

applebaby
Nov 17th, 2007, 06:29 PM
i was mostly frutitarian during the summer when i ate only raw food, and for a week or two was only fruititarian. it was the most amazing i have ever felt, after that experience, i really feel more inclined to a fruititarian diet than any other diet. i will go back to it someday .. maybe today .. maybe next year .. maybe next month!

there's a lot of reading you can do on it. i think you get your proteins from amino acids or something like that. i never felt weak as a fruititarian, or i guess, mostly fruititarian.

mangodurian
Dec 10th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Hi y'all,
My names Mango, and I'm a fruitarian.. Eve mentioned me a while back in this thread, and for those that are still curious.. I am still a practising fruitarian.. of long standing.. My diet consists of pretty much solely fruit.. I have been a vegan (ethically) for well over 20 years already too..

And I'm back in Australia once more.. after some years traveling around Europe.. Well.. My girlfriend is also fruitarian, she is trying to get into the Big Brother house.. you can see more about that here:
http://mangodurian.blogspot.com (http://mangodurian.blogspot.com/2007/12/vote-for-kveta-to-enter-big-brother.html)

Peace and fruit to all,
regards and hugs too..
Mango the Fruitarian.

angelamc
Dec 13th, 2007, 09:57 AM
How do you get B12?

(Aaahh!! I just looked at your blog and it looks like there is a picture of you eating durian!!:eek:)

angelamc
Dec 13th, 2007, 10:41 AM
To clarify my last post, I was specifically asking mangodurian where he got his B12 from. I think it's a completely different issue from where vegans get their B12. For example, I get my B12 from a multivitamin, fortified cereals, and marmite/nutritional yeast. These are all vegan sources (so says the label) but as far as I can tell, they are not fruitarian in the purest sense of the word.
I am just curious. I'm probably not going to become a fruitarian but I would love to know more about it. I would also like to start eating more raw food. Winter time is difficult for me in this respect because I like to eat hot foods like casserole and soups!

mangodurian
Dec 14th, 2007, 03:51 AM
To clarify my last post, I was specifically asking mangodurian where he got his B12 from. I think it's a completely different issue from where vegans get their B12. For example, I get my B12 from a multivitamin, fortified cereals, and marmite/nutritional yeast. These are all vegan sources (so says the label) but as far as I can tell, they are not fruitarian in the purest sense of the word.
I am just curious. I'm probably not going to become a fruitarian but I would love to know more about it. I would also like to start eating more raw food. Winter time is difficult for me in this respect because I like to eat hot foods like casserole and soups!

Hi Angela,
yes.. that's me eating the durian.. I think.. but are you sure it wasn't a jack fruit?

Anyhow, in answer to your question about B12, I just wrote this:

B12 on a Fruiatrian diet (http://mangodurian.blogspot.com/2007/12/b12-and-fruitarianism.html)

It's probably not exactly what you want to hear, but it's about the best answer I can give you..

regards,
Mango the Fruitarian (http://mangodurian.blogspot.com/2007/11/brief-intro-of-me.html).

applebaby
Dec 14th, 2007, 07:43 AM
i read your thing on b12 and i totally agree. when i eat raw, the world is so much brighter. i feel inside that i lack nothing nutritionally. i dont know why some people can put so much thought into this nutritional science, its so silly. i dont think about it especially "protein". you eat food that is natural, you dont need anything else. i guess you probably have to think about all those things on a cooked diet or if you eat processed foods and whatnot because it is not natural and does not have all the thigns you need in it. but fruit does. fruit has everything. you dont need supplements. you dont need to think about it.

angelamc
Dec 14th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the prompt reply, mango! It was a very interesting concept, painfully simple! Whenever I go more than a week without taking my b12 supplement the corners of my lips start to crack and I get other symptoms. I am open to your ideas though, and have often thought that human beings did not originally need b12 in their diets. Since I am a Christian I actually believe in a real Adam and Eve and I think that they ate mostly fruitarian diets. I'm not sure if they ate lettuces or not. Anyway, I believe that humans were originally designed to eat the way you describe. After the winter passes I may decide to forgo my supplements and eat a diet higher in fresh fruit. We will see what the results are then!:)

mangodurian
Dec 14th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Hi again!
thanks for your thoughts.. And glad to see that i am making some kind of sense to you both!

It is odd that I get asked so many such questions by people that I can look at and clearly see that they are in a far worse state of health than I have ever been, and yet they still think somehow that I am misinformed and dicing with my own health.

Like, someone might ask "How can you still be alive eating just fruit?".. and I'm thinking, yeah.. the real mystery is how come you are still alive eating whatever it is that you eat..

Truly the human body is capable of taking all kinds of abuse and surviving it for 4 score and 10.. But I reckon that over a period of some generations of fruit eating, we will once more begin to see extended life periods.. and eventually, I feel quite certain that those biblical long lives will be ours once again..

Nice quote applebaby: fruit has everything. you don't need supplements. you don't need to think about it.

regards,
Mango the Fruitarian.

eve
Dec 15th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Hi Mango, good to see you looking so well, and back in Oz. What's that stuff you're covered in? Surely not pawpaw? Don't know where you and your partner are living, but where I am in Qld it is sweltering. Well, mid-30C every day. Some day soon it may rain!

Thank you for your thoughts on B12, you must surely be right. :D

Sluggie
Dec 15th, 2007, 08:12 PM
That photo of you having a mud bath is awesome. :D I thought it was a statue at first.

mangodurian
Dec 15th, 2007, 08:46 PM
hi eve!/sluggie,
yes.. that's mud on me.. (who know's maybe i'm absorbing b12 directly through my skin, from the mud!)..anyhow, mud baths are fun, feel good and very cleansing...

i'm currently working on a small post about detox, and will stick it in my blog when done..

regards to all,
mango.

Essie
Dec 22nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
I saw a girl on tv the other day who used to be a fruitarian.
She said that for the first 2 weeks she was on a right high, super energetic and so on.
Then she started losing clamps of hair, got black circles underneath the eyes, anaemia and started really suffering.
I agree that fruit is one of the best and most important foods you can eat, but arent a balanced diet on themselves.
You can eat too much fruit, for instance if you eat 5 clementines a day, or 3 regular oranges, you start pissing away your vitamin c. Fact.

eve
Dec 22nd, 2007, 10:18 PM
Well it's obviously not causing such awful things to Mango, and he's been a fruitarian for yonks. Surely, Essie, if someone is pissing away their vit C, it can only be the surplus? :)

GoodbyeGirl
Dec 23rd, 2007, 02:57 AM
i personally would love to become a raw vegan but i'm terrified due to the amount of weight you lose

i don't think you necessarily have to lose a lot of weight. i know a guy who's been a raw food vegan for years and he's a bodybuilder. he's very muscular.

GoodbyeGirl
Dec 23rd, 2007, 03:27 AM
is it just me or does it seem like a lot of vegans on this thread are saying things about fruitarians that animal eaters say about vegans? people who are stating that they know very little to nothing about it, not even what the diet consists of, are saying:

"you don't get enough protein"
"you don't get your b12"
"not enough calories"
"i heard a bad experience about this one person....... so it must be true for everyone"
"that's cool, i respect it, but i could never do it.... i like _____ too much"

i thought that a thread about fruitarianism would have information about fruitarianism but instead it's mostly pages of people talking about why the diet seems like a bad idea based on their own assumptions rather than actual facts about what a healthy fruitarian diet consists of. at the very least i'd love to hear about what a fruitarian eats in a typical day.
i'm sorry if this sounds aggressive, but i think everyone would appreciate it if there was a little more info than naysaying here.

Essie
Dec 23rd, 2007, 04:46 AM
Well it's obviously not causing such awful things to Mango, and he's been a fruitarian for yonks. Surely, Essie, if someone is pissing away their vit C, it can only be the surplus? :)

Absolutely. I have nothing against fruitarians but utmost respect for those who can get on with it in a healthy manner. If left to my own devices I'd probably stick to bananas and die within 2 weeks!

Perhaps I didnt give much thought to it, never meant to be offensive to those who succeed at being healthy eating only fruit, just cant imagine how difficult it has to be to get it right.

That girl on TV didnt, obviously. If I'd heard about someone who'd been a fruitarian for 5 years and with good health I wouldnt be so biased. It all comes back to me being an ignorant!!! :(

Good night to all

Essie
Dec 23rd, 2007, 04:47 AM
Never meant to be offensive to those who dont get it right either.

mangodurian
Dec 24th, 2007, 12:56 AM
hi all, eve's right, if she was pissing out vitamin c, it was most likely not needed (to be done) by the body anyway.. essie, there was also a fruitarian of very long standing called essie.. she was south african.. and wrote a book called "I live on fruit and nothing else (http://www.amazon.com/Live-Fruit-Terry-C-Fry/dp/1558300090/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198457527&tag=veganfruitari-20&sr=1-1)".. besides.. 2 weeks is not enough to blame any diet.. i know of several long term fruitarians, including one young lad that has grown up healthily on a fruit only diet.. hugs, mango Why fruit wants to be eaten (http://mangodurian.blogspot.com/2007/12/fruit-wants-to-be-eaten.html)

cedarblue
Dec 24th, 2007, 12:42 PM
i thought that a thread about fruitarianism would have information about fruitarianism but instead it's mostly pages of people talking about why the diet seems like a bad idea based on their own assumptions rather than actual facts about what a healthy fruitarian diet consists of. at the very least i'd love to hear about what a fruitarian eats in a typical day.
i'm sorry if this sounds aggressive, but i think everyone would appreciate it if there was a little more info than naysaying here.

agreed!

maybe you can help research some info with us gg?
i dont know much about it, only basic stuff - i'm keen to learn more too :)

mangodurian
Dec 24th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Hi cedarblue/goodbyegirl,

as a longterm fruitarian keeping a blog, i decided very recently to start posting what I ate each month. Here is the link to what I ate in November 2007 (just divide it by the number of days that I ate during that month, and you'll get a rough Idea of what I might eat on an average day)..

This is what I ate in November 2007 (http://mangodurian.blogspot.com/2007/12/this-is-what-i-ate-in-november-2007.html)

regards,
Mango the Fruitarian
http://mangodurian.blogspot.com (http://mangodurian.blogspot.com/2007/12/topsy-turvy-world-1-healthy-chicken.html)