PDA

View Full Version : Fruitarian / Fruitarianism

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Zero
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Ok impractical for the masses, however I am not advocating it for the masses. I eat a high fruit diet because it works for me, I have grown berries here and had a couple peach trees and an apple tree before I went to live in the USA, you just have to take care of them and have the time of course. Dwarf trees are good because they produce a good amount.

It was easier living in Colorado to grow that stuff because of the heat, now I am back in the UK I eat slightly less fruit than I would have in Colorado because I don't always want to buy the imported stuff too often.

I suppose it will be easier again when I move somewhere warmer again one day :)

horselesspaul
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I hope it continues work for you then.
Growing one's own fruit for an exclusively fruit diet in the UK is very, very hard. Luckily, we have imported fruit should we wish to buy it.
I enjoyed a diet of fruit when in Oz and thought it would be good to be able to live like that.
I like my greens and potatoes though...

Peas, Pears, Unity.

Zero
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I hope it continues work for you then.
Growing one's own fruit for an exclusively fruit diet in the UK is very, very hard. Luckily, we have imported fruit should we wish to buy it.
I enjoyed a diet of fruit when in Oz and thought it would be good to be able to live like that.
I like my greens and potatoes though...

Peas, Pears, Unity.

I eat a leafy greens myself and an amount of vegetables including the root variety etc, my diet tends to be somewhere around 70% fruit, which also includes non sweet fruit of course like peppers, cucumbers etc.

Must be nice to escape to Oz and enjoy all the tasty fruit!

I really like peas actually, every once in a while I get a craving for them.

horselesspaul
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Nice one. We (Organic Roundabout in Brighton) grew some fantastic organic peppers and cucumbers in polytunnels from old varieties from the Henry Doubleday Inst. They were unbelievably nice. Crystal apple cucumbers rule. Sadly the venture was discontinued.
These days I am lucky enough to go to Southern California from time to time.
My friends' kids' school has three massive orange trees and two large peach trees in the playground. Unfortunately most of the children live on a diet of sugar and animal fats.. I just help myself if ever I'm there.

I have HAD to have beetroot a lot recently..cravings for food should be carefully headed I think.

Zero
Jun 20th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I have HAD to have beetroot a lot recently..cravings for food should be carefully headed I think.

Indeed, I always listen for cravings for fresh vital foods and respond to them.

I have a few friends in Brighton, it's great there. I was there in December and February, hopefully will visit again soon :)

indianvegan
Jun 20th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I think some Jain and Buddhist monks are fruitatians but I haven't looked into it enough, maybe there are more than we think?

I'm Jain but I have never came acrossed Fruitarian Saints. Saints are lacto vegetarian usually.

Though there are quite a few Jain saints too who eat vegan diets even they do not eat any green vegetables, fruits, and Vegetable Oil or Hydrogenated Oil and No bakery prodcuts.

songlife
Jul 1st, 2008, 08:31 AM
well they get their protein from nuts and seeds, however, this is very sketchy to me because how on earth can they get all the amino acids they need for protein...

hemp protein (found in hemp seeds) has ALL your essential amino acids. ALL OF THEM! google that action :)

Zero
Jul 1st, 2008, 10:46 AM
hemp protein (found in hemp seeds) has ALL your essential amino acids. ALL OF THEM! google that action :)

All the amino acids required can be found in fresh fruit, only 9 are required by your diet, the other 9 can be easily manufactured by your body.

songlife
Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:18 AM
All the amino acids required can be found in fresh fruit, only 9 are required by your diet, the other 9 can be easily manufactured by your body.

oooo cool! I didn't know that. Which fruits have which amino acids? That's awesome info for when I'm being interrogated...

Zero
Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
oooo cool! I didn't know that. Which fruits have which amino acids? That's awesome info for when I'm being interrogated...

I have no idea which fruit has which amino acids, you dont have to eat all 9 in one day either.
Lets face it, anyone who is eating enough wont become protein deficient, being protein deficent generally means you are literally starving.

belleadonna
Feb 17th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Are there any fruitarians still here??

fiamma
Feb 17th, 2010, 05:08 PM
No he just finds he doesn't need to, he listens to what his body needs :)

I don't think that's a terribly good idea where water is concerned; normally when we feel thirsty we're already dehydrated.

vegetarian_cat
Nov 20th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Hi there, no, we aren't urban legends but you also have to understand that not all fruitarians are 100% fruitarians. Also, raw veggies and green-leafy ones especially are definitely part of the diet. We couldn't live without those minerals. Nuts are in too and so is dried fruit. I'm 80% fruitarian and then I'll have some cooked veggie soups in the evening and sometimes pasta or bread with tons of veggies. But mostly it's fruit. Energy levels do go up a lot. It's about keeping food simple and nothing beats raw fresh fruits and veggies there... :) Just try adding more fruit, you'll have all the protein and fat you need really. Our needs are SO overestimated in the first place and raw foodist eat way too much fat.

vegetarian_cat
Nov 20th, 2010, 10:21 PM
oh my, you don't lose any if you're thin and only lose some if you're fat . I stayed exactly the same and eat tons of fruits, it's full of calories. No probleme eating just the right amount !

fiamma
Feb 15th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I thought I would revive this thread; a poster on the "What did you eat today?" thread has got me thinking about fruitarianism, and I have so many questions...

Like eating 24 bananas in a day, on a regular basis :eek:... what does that do to your blood sugar and potassium levels?
Why do (some) fruitarians choose to exclude, say, green leafy vegetables, which are some of the more nutrient-dense foods around?
What are the reasons for choosing a fruitarian diet?

If there are any fruitarians on the board, I would love to hear your views. :)

fiamma
Feb 15th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Double post...bah!!! :lol:

vava
Feb 15th, 2011, 07:07 PM
fruitys don't just eat fruit?

fiamma
Feb 15th, 2011, 07:12 PM
There was one girl on here a while ago (fruitarian) who said her diet included tomatoes and avocados (both fruits I think) and also legumes...? :confused:

I'm not planning a fruitarian diet, BTW, I'm just intrigued by the rationale and reasoning behind it.

harpy
Feb 16th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I'm not a fruitarian (obviously) but I did look into it at one point, and for some fruitarians at least the rationale seemed to be that we should eat only the parts that the plant "wants" to have eaten, i.e. seeds, fruits (including the ones you mention that are commonly regarded as vegetables!), grains, nuts and (I suppose though I can't remember) legumes - all of which the plant produces for reproductive purposes. Stems, leaves and roots are off limits because they are an integral part of the plant and taking them is thought to damage it.

It would certainly be interesting to hear from actual fruitarians about their reasons and I apologise if I've misrepresented them.

fiamma
Feb 16th, 2011, 10:45 AM
It's interesting that I've been on the forum here for around five years now, but the few fruitarians I do remember joining have never lasted more than a few posts. Although if their way of eating and reasons for it are so different to those of vegans and veganism, I suppose it does make sense.

vava
Feb 16th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Seems in one way that this is against plants as you would be consuming their way of reproducing. Hmm.

harpy
Feb 16th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Well, with seeds and so on if you excrete them (in the garden :rolleyes:) you might be helping them to reproduce. Otherwise I agree it doesn't help but it doesn't actually kill the plant either. Think that was the idea I read about.

I can see why someone might want to avoid harming plants if they didn't have to, but I think it's probably quite hard to be a full-time fruitarian from a nutritional point of view.

vava
Feb 16th, 2011, 12:48 PM
oh my Harpy! So when you introduce yourself you say you are fruitarian and you poop in the garden to help the plants grow!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigsmile:

harpy
Feb 16th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Composting toilets would probably be the way to go. (I quite like the idea of those actually, but it probably wouldn't go down well with the neighbours in the middle of a town.)

mini_mi
Feb 18th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I eat Low fat vegan raw, which is based on the book by Doug Graham "The 80/10/10 diet". Been doing this for a while now and it's very easy. I eat bananas, oranges dates and mangoes along with a big salad everyday. My energy levels a very good, you can't beat it if you want to be thin and still a lot. There is a site www.30bananasaday.com, that pretty much explains the lifestyle.