PDA

View Full Version : Fruitarian / Fruitarianism

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

EcoTribalVegan
Jul 3rd, 2005, 06:09 PM
Does anyone know anything about this vegan diet? Is it possible to do without losing oneīs health? It seems that youīre missing some key elements or there are some that are sketchy and experts canīt seem to agree. Iīve looked at a few sights and none of them answer the question about B12 (my main concern). Thanks for the help.

harpy
Jul 3rd, 2005, 07:02 PM
I have read a bit about it in the past, and have seen it criticised with regard to a possible lack of certain nutrients (e.g. those we get from green leafy vegetables) and also because it can be hard to get enough calories. Not sure B12 is an issue for fruitarians more than other vegans though?

Pilaf
Jul 3rd, 2005, 07:23 PM
I'd suggest you browse these forums a bit..you'll quickly learn just how nutritious a vegan diet is.

EcoTribalVegan
Jul 4th, 2005, 05:08 PM
I'd suggest you browse these forums a bit..you'll quickly learn just how nutritious a vegan diet is.

This is a stricter version of a vegan diet. It doesnīt kill ANY species (even plants) by only eating the fruit, which also helps the plant spread itīs seed.

I have read a bit about it in the past, and have seen it criticised with regard to a possible lack of certain nutrients (e.g. those we get from green leafy vegetables) and also because it can be hard to get enough calories. Not sure B12 is an issue for fruitarians more than other vegans though?

Actually I donīt think calories would be the problem since fruits are high in sugar; which has the potential negative risk of running diabetes. The vitamin B12 in fruits is supposedly Hydroxyl Cobamalin (sp?) and the knd in bacteria is cyanocobamalin. Scientist question the ability of the body to actually be able to break down and use the kind in fruits (at least that was what I got out of the research I did).

tasha
Jul 4th, 2005, 06:40 PM
I don't know a whole lot about the "health" side of this lifestyle, but I have seen a "cook" book (Don't know what to call it, you don't actually cook a whole lot) and it looked really interesting. They sure take time with presentation!

Have you looked for a forum on this subject? The best way to find info is from those who do it! :)

If you find one, you could let us know the verdict!

harpy
Jul 4th, 2005, 07:40 PM
As you probably know, B12 is a controversial topic in this forum and if you search you will find a lot of threads about it. Personally I'm still not convinced that a contemporary, unsupplemented (non-fruitarian) vegan diet gives you any/enough vitamin B12, so I take a supplement anyway.

I think it's raw food diets where I have heard some people go short of calories, but then fruitarians tend to stick to raw fruit I gather (though that may not be a universal rule). Although fruit is sweet there is a limit to how much you can eat without dire consequences, isn't there? :) If one included nuts and seeds, as well as actual fruit, that might help. Edited to add they do seem to eat nuts and seeds, according to this http://www.fruitarian.com/

Mystic
Jul 4th, 2005, 11:10 PM
I would personally never do this - I have heard that fruitarianism brings on diabetes, diarrhoa, rotting teeth and severe deficiencies. I would imagine it would lack protien, complex carbohydrates and excluding avocado, fat (unless you were the sort that ate nuts). At least in a raw diet you can have sprouted grains and legumes and less sugary vegatables

EcoTribalVegan
Jul 5th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Have you looked for a forum on this subject?

I havenīt looked for a forum yet. But I will try doing that. Iīve just tried to find sites that talk about it in a scientific manner. Many sites use the spiritual side and thatīs not why Iīm doing it.

fruitarians tend to stick to raw fruit I gather (though that may not be a universal rule).

See thatīs something that I have yet to determine from my research. But the verdict seems to be that cooked food breaks down enzymes that actually make digesting food easier and more beneficial. But I think it can go either way on that issue.

I have heard that fruitarianism brings on diabetes, diarrhoa, rotting teeth and severe deficiencies.

The diabetes i can understand. If anything I think eating fruit would be better for your teeth (things like oranges to prevent scurvy and things like apples to clean them). But I hadnīt read anything like that makes me believe itīs bad for your teeth. Diarrhea I can see just because of the switching of diets and I know fruit makes bowel movements easier. And the deficiencies is something that I am trying to figure out.

I would imagine it would lack protien, complex carbohydrates and excluding avocado, fat (unless you were the sort that ate nuts).

The one site I looked at said that fruits actually contain minute amounts of proteins. And if you eat enough fruit (the number on the site was like 2.5kg, which is a lot, but like it has been said fruit goes right through you). Canīt your body make complex carbohydrates? And the avacado is something you would have to eat a lot of to get essential fats. My two greatest concerns are B12 and perhaps proteins.

fructarianism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructarianism) That is the best site Iīve found, but it seems to include all aspects of fructarianism (which includes nuts, but no other site mentions that it is acceptable, same with grains). Most of the other negatives symptoms seems a product of lack of will-power, except for the vitamins/minerals which are debated.

tasha
Jul 5th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Man, I just did a search myself and it is difficult to find out any info on fruitarianism!

From what I have been reading, it sounds like the high sugar content of this diet can cause health problems or overeating--makes sense, but I don't know enough about the lifestyle to make a judgement.

I did find this quote on one of the sites:

B12 for animal product consumers is cyanocobalamin. B12 for vegans and fruitarians is hydroxylcobalamin. Fruitarian B12 is more efficient. Fruitarians and vegans have more red blood cells per cubic centimeter than do animal product users. (The research of Dr. Mervyn Hardinge at Harvard).. Some Red Cross volunteers have commented on the richer reds and deeper purples of vegetarian, vegan, and fruitarian blood. In addition, it does not contain white ropes of killer cholesterol.

I did manage to find one forum that was up to date, but man they were all cursing at each other! It was a war between vegetarians, vegans and fruitarians!

Although, I don't plan on switching to fruitarianism, let me know if you find any valuable info! :)

dreama
Jul 8th, 2005, 08:40 PM
I have a lot of respect for fruitarians but I could never be one myself. Being a vegan is hard enough. Particularly when I try to stick to organic food as far as possible but I don't like raw food very much so this would make a fruitarian diet really hard.

jackxattack
Oct 21st, 2005, 10:40 PM
Are there any Fruitarians who post on here? Does anyone know about Fruitarianism? I'm writing a feature length documentary script on veganism for my final year of school (university) and need to interview at least one person who is fruitarian or at least get some info on it.

Mr Flibble
Oct 21st, 2005, 11:07 PM
I've never met a true fruitarian, and to be honest, I'm starting to think it's a bit of an urban legend

jackxattack
Oct 21st, 2005, 11:19 PM
I've never met a true fruitarian, and to be honest, I'm starting to think it's a bit of an urban legend

I think some Jain and Buddhist monks are fruitatians but I haven't looked into it enough, maybe there are more than we think?

Mr Flibble
Oct 21st, 2005, 11:33 PM
Maybe, but as i say, i've yet to meet any ;)

The subject comes up from time to time on forums such as this, but I've yet in the past 8 years to even hear of someone who knows a proper fruitarian who has been so for more than a few weeks.

I'd love to be proven wrong, if you find any then let me know :)

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 22nd, 2005, 12:01 AM
Well, not to be cheeky but I know a few who have been fruititarian for years. One has written a book (along with 2 other raw-food guys) and I have to say they can be pretty intense and flighty, not very grounded at all really.

Some fruititarians eat leafy greens in addition to fruits/nuts/seeds.

Mr Flibble
Oct 22nd, 2005, 12:04 AM
Well, not to be cheeky

That's OK, i'm not trying to be pedantic :)

Some fruititarians eat leafy greens in addition to fruits/nuts/seeds.

Surely that's a bit like saying some vegans eat eggs, or some vegetarians eat fish? How can a fruitarian eat leafy greens? Surely that'd make them a vegan with a mainly fruitarian diet, just as you can be a meat eater with a mainly vegan diet.

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 22nd, 2005, 12:32 AM
I know it sounds absurd, but they eat some things that don't "kill the plant" and have seeds/come from seeds...it's complicated as all things are...I'll see if I can scrounge up an explaination from one of the guys :)

Maisiepaisie
Oct 22nd, 2005, 01:11 AM
Here is a fruitarian forum http://animalsuffering.com/forum/index.php?f=31

On the Coast
Oct 22nd, 2005, 02:25 AM
I know a dozen or so fruitarians who live on the North Shore (Hawaii), and my eldest Sis was one for awhile (when she lived there). My understanding has always been, and according to my friends, that fruitarians definately eat leafy greens, nuts, fruits (which includes squash and cucurbits), as well as ecologically harvested or wild grains (including corn), and beans. They are also not raw foodists (by definition, though some may partake of this diet also), but instead live by a philosophy which excludes the killing of any plants. Thus, if you can pick, pull, cut, or twist it from the plant without killing the parent material, it's all good - ;).......

....Oh yeah, all my friends are big wave surfers, coffee drinkers, and not suffering from diabetes or wet poopies, (though maybe they just keep the latter from me - thank goodness - ;) )......

Maisiepaisie
Oct 22nd, 2005, 06:01 PM
I could do fruitarianism if it was proved it was healthy. I do feel a little guilt about killing plants even though I know they don't feel pain, its still a shame to destroy living things. The major drawback for me would be no soya milk, or can you get soya without killing the plant?

Tigerlily
Oct 22nd, 2005, 08:16 PM
I don't think I could be a fruitarian. The thought of all that fruit and sugar....I think I would have headaches all the time from the sugar spikes.

BxDani
Oct 22nd, 2005, 09:22 PM
i personally would love to become a raw vegan but i'm terrified due to the amount of weight you lose

PumpkinGuy
Oct 22nd, 2005, 11:34 PM
i personally would love to become a raw vegan but i'm terrified due to the amount of weight you lose

Ditto here. I've been trying the idea but on a typical day I'm never more than 50% raw. As it is I do not want to lose anymore weight. I could definately try eating raw one or two days a week.

From what I've read, alot of fruitarianists get down to anorexic weight then stablize. Since I don't know any, I can't verify this. Perhaps some are of normal weight or even heavy.

I'm happy when my diet does not include animal products.

eve
Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:39 AM
jackxattack, I met a fellow some years ago, who called himself Mango. He moved to Spain then to other places. His url is http://fruitnut.net - he has been a fruitarian for yonks! A great guy. :D

Free_Tibet
Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:05 AM
I know a dozen or so fruitarians who live on the North Shore (Hawaii), and my eldest Sis was one for awhile (when she lived there). My understanding has always been, and according to my friends, that fruitarians definately eat leafy greens, nuts, fruits (which includes squash and cucurbits), as well as ecologically harvested or wild grains (including corn), and beans. They are also not raw foodists (by definition, though some may partake of this diet also), but instead live by a philosophy which excludes the killing of any plants. Thus, if you can pick, pull, cut, or twist it from the plant without killing the parent material, it's all good - ;).......

Thank you for this information. I would love to be a fruitarian at some point, although i might have to wait till I go to live at a Buddhist Centre permanently which I am doing in the next few years. I think it might be easier then for some reason. My living situation is not that conducive to a fruitarian lifestyle presently.