PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Hunting

tasha
Jul 6th, 2005, 01:18 AM
My nephew just told me about a new xbox game called the virtual deer hunter. Apparently the deer you kill are very life like. I've seen lots of blow'em away video games, including a hunting game at a video arcade.

I think that some of these video games are correlated with agression, regardless of age.

I wonder if it is good to have a game like this as people won't actually be killing live deer or if it will glamorize hunting and more youth will see it as a game and want to try for real?

Just curious to what others think.

adam antichrist
Jul 6th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Lots of people play violent games and don't go on to commit violence, but I've got to admit I saw the cover of that or a similar game in a shop recently and was horrified.

tasha
Jul 6th, 2005, 01:40 AM
I guess I just know that children are taught that killing is wrong, therefore after playing a violent game where humans are the victim they know better than to go out and kill someone. Unfortunatly, all children are not taught that killing an animal is wrong, in fact hunting is legal, so why would they make the connection. I just hope that some wouldn't want to try it for real--just for fun.

portiakitty
Jul 6th, 2005, 03:59 AM
This is a tricky one. We don't want to see people actually kill animals, so a simulated version is better. However, why in the world do some people have such a need to kill or at least pretend to kill?
I think Tasha makes a good point that while society does not condone killing humans, killing animals is considered acceptable. Therefore, this game is an early introduction to real hunting.

Now on an even more horrifying note, I'm sure most folks here have heard about that not so virtual cyber hunting web site in Texas? It is so outragious that even the NRA is opposing it! Now that's crazy. Thanks to modern technology and web cams, you can shoot a REAL deer in Texas from any where in the world. See, that's the sort of thing that this Xbox game can lead to. This is a serious blurring of reality.
I never thought I'd see the day when I would be on the same side as the NRA on an issue!

tasha
Jul 6th, 2005, 04:27 AM
Now on an even more horrifying note, I'm sure most folks here have heard about that not so virtual cyber hunting web site in Texas? It is so outragious that even the NRA is opposing it! Now that's crazy. Thanks to modern technology and web cams, you can shoot a REAL deer in Texas from any where in the world. See, that's the sort of thing that this Xbox game can lead to. This is a serious blurring of reality.
I never thought I'd see the day when I would be on the same side as the NRA on an issue!

So it is for real?! My brother mentioned that to me, but I didn't believe him (he is always teasing me).

Unbelievable. :mad: