PDA

View Full Version : processed foods

foxytina_69
Jul 12th, 2004, 10:41 AM
what is everyones view on processed foods?

gertvegan
Jul 12th, 2004, 11:00 AM
They're what supermarkets want you to buy, they make the most profit on them, they're easier to transport and store etc than fresh produce. I'm currently reading "shopped" by Joanna Blythman, a book about the power of British supermarkets.

ConsciousCuisine
Jul 12th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Processed foods contain less vital life force and energy that is positive. They are often constipating, low in fiber and high in fats (including unhealthy fats), sodium and other undesireables.

They are also often tasty, fun and an important part of a "transitional" diet or in convincing meat-eaters that Vegan cuisine can be just as tasty and fun as the S.A.D.

Additionally, some processed foods such as soymilk and cereal are fortified to provide much-needed B-12, calcium and other nutrients that those who do not eat many fresh, raw vegetables and fruits, green foods and supplements would otherwise be lacking in.

harpy
Jul 12th, 2004, 12:39 PM
It depends what you mean by "processed". I buy certain things ready-made, such as bread, soy milk, tofu, pasta. But I'm trying to avoid buying many "ready meals" as even if they're vegan they tend (here in the UK at least) to include a lot of stuff that's not very good for you, such as excessive amounts of salt, and the dreaded hydrogenated vegetable oils.

Roxy
Jul 12th, 2004, 05:29 PM
I believe that fresh products, that I can make into a meal myself, are better for me than processed, ready-to-eat foods. However, for convenience, I still purchase some processed foods - a lot less than I used to though. It's probably more of a time-management issue than anything else.

Roxy

cedarblue
Jul 12th, 2004, 08:08 PM
They're what supermarkets want you to buy, they make the most profit on them, they're easier to transport and store etc than fresh produce. I'm currently reading "shopped" by Joanna Blythman, a book about the power of British supermarkets.

hmmmmm....thats interesting, i know "someone else" who's reading this book too! ;)

eve
Jul 15th, 2004, 08:03 AM
what is everyones view on processed foods?
The word 'processed' needs defining. For example, included in my shopping list are soymilk, bread, tofu, marmite, tahini, canned chickpeas, rice, tempeh, nutritional yeast, and so on. All these items have been processed to a certain extent - do you consider them processed foods? Most of what I eat, though, comprises fruit and vegetables, and some nuts.

I don't buy ready-made meals that have to be heated in a microwave, neither do I buy take-aways.

foxytina_69
Jul 15th, 2004, 08:09 AM
by saying processed, im wondering what people define that as to their own views, not my own. yes i do consider anything processed to be processed, but im wondering what everyone thinks and what they consider processed :)

Mystic
Jul 15th, 2004, 09:59 AM
To me, processed means processed - a wholefood has been untouched...fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans etc...

Processing to me, doesnt mean "bad". For example, I eat bread, pasta, hummus, vegemite, dried fruit etc...

I think stuff like veggie burgers and ready meals are okay every now and then...everything in moderation I suppose!!! How boring would your diet be if you couldn't eat tasty junk and if you had to prepare only wholefoods, you would be constantly in the kitchen (unless you were a raw person with no desire for preparation!!!)