PDA

View Full Version : A mini-note about language on the forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Korn
Jul 12th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Dear vwee-ga-bwins,
I just got this post from one of our members:

*Hi
I am enjoying my residence on the vegan forum. Could you tell me specifically what the rules are on bad language? I'd appreciate a list of words that are considered to be slang yet acceptable on the forums. For instance, I am frequently reading the words 'shit', 'arse', 'crap', and sometimes the word 'twat'. I take it that these are acceptable, and I am interested to know of more so that I can make my posts more colourful without causing anxiety attacks to those who have the well-known phobia of bad language, for whom these rules are presumably made to protect. If no swearing is permitted, I will gladly become language monitor and aid in the eradication of all evil words!
Cheers! ^_^

There is a built in function in the board software the replaces some words with asterisks.

I've heard that some search engines looks at the content of a site, and if it finds that the site contains a lot of words like ****, **** and **** :), the site will never make it to the top of the search result list.

tails4wagging
Jul 12th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Well kornator, B....r me!!! I never swear. Not lady like!!!. :) ;)

Cal
Jul 12th, 2005, 06:42 AM
I never use ****, **** or **** either (even though I'd hardly describe myself as ladylike!). ;) I use ****, **** and ****, they're much more descriptive and satisfying! :cool:

Nivvie
Jul 12th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Oh Cal! :eek:

My father was a sailor, but still...*faints*

Someone get the smelling salts. :D

Roxy
Jul 12th, 2005, 06:48 PM
There is a built in function in the board software the replaces some words with asterisks.

This happened to me the other day when I typed ******* in a post LOL :D It thought it was cute!

Stu
Jul 12th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I think any cunt who is small-minded enough to be offended by swearing, can **** off.

Poison Ivy
Jul 12th, 2005, 07:49 PM
I think any cunt who is small-minded enough to be offended by swearing, can **** off.

I think the swear monitor software needs some lessons in words that REALLY need to be edited out :rolleyes: :eek:

Nivvie
Jul 12th, 2005, 08:57 PM
I think any **** who is small-minded enough to be offended by swearing, can **** off.

Ha!
Love it.
All we have to do is be reeeally bad.

tails4wagging
Jul 13th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Stu, that c word is horrible!!. But I wont ...... off!!.

Cal
Jul 13th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Stu, that c word is horrible!!
'cal'?! :eek: ;)

Nivvie
Jul 13th, 2005, 07:49 AM
How weird is it that when I quoted Stu it blatted out the C- word?

Ha! My computer's posh! She'll not be having any of your vulgar language!

Cal
Jul 13th, 2005, 07:53 AM
I'll try:

I think any **** who is small-minded enough to be offended by swearing, can **** off.
Yep, mine's posh too! :D

Nivvie
Jul 13th, 2005, 07:55 AM
There you go then Cal, proof we're better!

Shall we take out tea in the drawing room?

Cal
Jul 13th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Jolly good idea, Nivvie. :) Cucumber sandwiches cut into little triangles would be grand. ;)

eve
Jul 13th, 2005, 08:23 AM
I think that anyone who uses words, such as you used, is short on vocabulary, and is lacking in respect for older people who were not raised with that sort of language. Grow up, don't just pretend to be grown up by using big boys' words. :D

Stu
Jul 13th, 2005, 01:55 PM
I think that anyone who uses words, such as you used, is short on vocabulary, and is lacking in respect for older people who were not raised with that sort of language. Grow up, don't just pretend to be grown up by using big boys' words. :D
Ah, nothing like a sweeping generalisation to start the day, eh?
So anyone who uses a swear word, is implicitly short on vocabulary. Wow.

Well now it's my turn to make a sweeping generalisation. Anybody who allows themselves to be offended by meaningless swear words, must have been brought up in a cardboard box, and have no concept of reality nor priority.

My vocabulary is pretty good. More comprehensive than most, I reckon. I use swear words. They are a part of my vocabulary. If I was to censor them out of my use of the language, I would in fact be disrespecting any intelligent, free-thinking individual who reads or hears it. If anyone feels disrespected by it, then good. I have no respect for such idiots.

And I was not "raised with that sort of language". I always got in big trouble if I swore at home. But I choose to swear.
And all this "grow up" nonsense... What in God's name is that all about? Do you have to stop swearing when you reach a certain age? No (in fact, I started). Is swearing a sign of immaturity? No (except to small-minded bigots).

Kumem
Jul 13th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Just testing my 'puters poshness :D

assilembob
Jul 13th, 2005, 03:47 PM
something else to think about...there are youngish ones lurking.

~Mel

Stu
Jul 13th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Well every 'youngish' person who I come into contact with, swears a hell of a lot more than your average adult.

Why on Earth do some people want to 'protect' kids from something that does not cause harm? For Christ's sake, get your priorities in order.

Nivvie
Jul 13th, 2005, 05:00 PM
I love a good swear for theraputic reasons.
I once did something awful, just terrible, at work. A stupid, sickening, pointless, messy mistake.
It really helped my sanity to swear all the way through cleaning it up. I think I even made up some new ones.

Kumem
Jul 13th, 2005, 05:37 PM
I love a good swear for theraputic reasons.
I once did something awful, just terrible, at work. A stupid, sickening, pointless, messy mistake.
It really helped my sanity to swear all the way through cleaning it up. I think I even made up some new ones.

Do share :D
I could do with some new ones to add to my repertoire ;)

Nivvie
Jul 13th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Oh Kumen, I couldn't bear to be the one to corrupt you with my builder's bum crack mouth.

However, Roger's Thesaurus, as in Roger Mellie from Viz, is one hell of a book. I read it cover to cover and laughed myself almost to the point of incontinence.

Stu
Jul 13th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Heh, the good old Profanisaurus. My favourite is 'Kerrangatang' - n. A large hairy heavy metal enthusiast.

The new Viz came out yesterday, incidentally.

Cal
Jul 14th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Heh, the good old Profanisaurus.
Just Googled it! :D :D

tasha
Jul 14th, 2005, 01:39 AM
I've heard that some search engines looks at the content of a site, and if it finds that the site contains a lot of words like ****, **** and **** :), the site will never make it to the top of the search result list.

Hey Stu, maybe you should cut down on the swearing ...we may not stay on the top! :p