PDA

View Full Version : Kale!

Tigerlily
Jul 13th, 2005, 12:40 AM
What's everyone's favourite way to eat kale?

I have tried a kale and potato salad from a recipe I found in a book, but I didn't like it so much. It was alright but not delicious. It also called for boilling the kale, and I believe boilling veggies looses the nutrients, right?

My mom also threw some finely chopped pieces in a pot of rice. It turned out kind of gross too.

But! My new favourite way is to heat up a little oil (1 to 2 tsp) in a wok, and add some water. Then add the kale, some matchstick carrots, lots of grated ginger and garlic....cover it and let it cook on medium low heat for a few minutes. Totally delicious. I like it served with quinoa or rice, and seasoned with soy sauce and lemon juice.

assilembob
Jul 13th, 2005, 01:37 AM
This is a recipe from vegetarian times about a year ago. I sometimes also add tofu to it when sauteeing the garlic.

Braised Kale, Potatoes and Mushrooms

This hearty dish matches up compatible tastes and textures. Recipe courtesy of Marianne Siroker, CSA member.
1 cup diced red potatoes, skin on
1 Tbs. olive oil
2 small portobellos, sliced
2 shallots, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 lb. kale, stemmed and torn into large pieces
1/4 cup vegetable stock, wine or water
Directions:

1. Put the potatoes in a saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Drain, and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and sauté the mushrooms, shallots, garlic, salt and pepper for about 5 minutes, or until the shallots are soft and the mushrooms are tender.
3. Add the kale to the skillet, and cook, stirring often, about 1 minute. Add the stock and the cooked potatoes. Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes, or until the kale is bright green.

tails4wagging
Jul 13th, 2005, 05:47 AM
I tend to steam it and add as a veg, with potatoes.

Nice recipes.

FR
Jul 13th, 2005, 12:24 PM
I usually use it in place of lettuce or spinach on a sandwich. I love kale! Also, I like to stir fry it with garlic, olive oil, and onion, mmmmmmmmmmm!

imblissful
Aug 5th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Wash and tear up the kale into bite sized bits.

In a container with a lid mix: olive oil, salt and your choice of seasoning (I like to use a pepper mix)

Put the kale in the container, secure the lid. Shake until Kale is coated.

Spread the kale on a oiled or sprayed cookie sheet, place in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes, stir, then cook for a little longer (at 8,900 feet above sea level it takes about another 5 minutes). Cook until crispy. Cool. (The longer you let them cook, the crispier they get, almost like a thin potato chip).

Kale Crispies, yum, addictive.

Sacalis
Aug 5th, 2009, 06:50 PM
That sounds very good imblissful, I'll have to try that some time.

fiamma
Aug 5th, 2009, 07:17 PM
You can marinate it - very quick, easy and tasty :) I'll post a recipe later...

fondducoeur
Aug 6th, 2009, 02:28 AM
This is a recipe from vegetarian times about a year ago. I sometimes also add tofu to it when sauteeing the garlic.

Braised Kale, Potatoes and Mushrooms

This hearty dish matches up compatible tastes and textures. Recipe courtesy of Marianne Siroker, CSA member.
1 cup diced red potatoes, skin on
1 Tbs. olive oil
2 small portobellos, sliced
2 shallots, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 lb. kale, stemmed and torn into large pieces
1/4 cup vegetable stock, wine or water
Directions:

1. Put the potatoes in a saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Drain, and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and sauté the mushrooms, shallots, garlic, salt and pepper for about 5 minutes, or until the shallots are soft and the mushrooms are tender.
3. Add the kale to the skillet, and cook, stirring often, about 1 minute. Add the stock and the cooked potatoes. Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes, or until the kale is bright green.

This sounds pretty good, and easy...I will have to try it soon!