PDA

View Full Version : junkfood =D

Pages : [1] 2

foxytina_69
Jul 13th, 2004, 07:58 AM
when u have the munchies, or a junkfood phase, what do u like to nibble on :D

Artichoke47
Jul 13th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Probably what I call "super" peanut butter & jelly. It has about 3 T. of peanut butter on it. Very good. I don't really eat junk food. If I make cookies, it's usually for a function, so I only eat one to taste and then one or two at the function. If I make a dessert dish (which isn't necessarily junk), I try to use fruity desserts and I eat one serving at a time, separate it as soon as it's done, putting some in the freezer.

gertvegan
Jul 13th, 2004, 01:43 PM
I do like a kettle chip or three. See www.kettlechips.co.uk

i_like_deer
Jul 13th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Chocolate!!!

foxytina_69
Jul 13th, 2004, 09:42 PM
:) i love kettle chips

Cloudy
Jul 13th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Aye, they rule. Rosemary and garlic, mmmmm

Sabster
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Chocolate, Cookies, Potato Chips..... err the more you know about what's out there... there's a lot of junky stuff. But yeh good vegan sweets...mmm:) Good but not good for me.

eve
Jul 14th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Not into junkfood, but if a desire for munchies arises, I eat peanuts - I like to sit and shell them, and munch.

Roxy
Jul 14th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Chocolate cookies :p

ConsciousCuisine
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:36 PM
When my family wants a snack that is "junky" I usually make organic oven-baked fries with umeboshi vinegar and make up a decadent spread like my avo-miso spread and we eat it like a dip.

Or, I make up a big bowl of guacamole and eat it with tortilla chips on which I have melted Follow Your Heart Vegan cheese (the BEST vegan cheese in America!)

Then, of course there is Dagoba or Terra Nostra chocolate!

Oh, and Uncle Eddie's Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies!

(Not only do I know about all of the best vegan goodies because it's my job to help people enjoy veganism, but I have an 11 year-old vegan child, so I have to be really creative at home as well! My daughter, Blake says that even our "junk" foods are healthier than most people's "regular" foods!)

If we want a "healthy" junk food, or are just craving something rich, I fill dates with almond butter, eat a baby coconut or half an avocado sprinkled with nutritional yeast and umeboshi vinegar.

Brande's Avo-Miso Spread:

1 t. unpasteurized dark red miso
1 ripe avocado
1 T. Red Star Nutritional Yeast
1/2 t. each onion/garlic powder (or fresh onion and garlic that has been finely minced)
1 t. Veganaise or raw, cold pressed oil
a dash of cayenne

mash, mix, indulge!

Mystic
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:10 AM
In Australia, we have:

- soychocolate, which my omnivore boyfriend reckons you can't tell the difference
- Vitari, which is like a sorbet that EVERYONE loves and when I tell them it's vegan they are surprised
- Freedom foods cookies (spicy apple, blueberry, apricot and sticky date flavours)

But I LOOOOOOOOVE dried pineapple and dried mango...and dates...they really hit the spot when I am after a sugar fix

Gorilla
Jul 15th, 2004, 11:48 PM
i'm still a little addicted to 'junk' foods i'm afraid - i do love vegan pizza, chips (aka fries), burgers, chocolate, cookies, cakes, ice cream.....oooooops :o

i don't eat them that often, honestly!!!! :)

Mystic
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:36 AM
By junkfood, I mean things like choccie, cookies, cake, fried food, ice cream, puddings and lollies (candy)

I tend to have some sort of 'junk' around twice to three times a week. I also eat out or have a not-so-healthy dinner once or twice a week (like pizza, vegan burger, something packaged/processed or refined 'white' spaghetti or white bread)

How much not 'whole' food is acceptable?

Artichoke47
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:45 AM
I have had raw, healthy cookies that I don't consider junk food two times this week. I'm not going to count those.

I probably eat cake or something similar 5-10 times a year. It varies, and sometimes it's not planned, but if Sublime in Fort Lauderdale calls my name, I will go! ;)

How much is acceptable is up to you, Banana. You seem to eat healthy otherwise, don't you think? I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are meeting nutritional requirements, eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, and as long as you aren't thinking negative thoughts about yourself for eating such things. Then I would say don't do it unless you feel comfortable. Food should make you feel good!

John
Oct 1st, 2004, 04:25 AM
I eat vegan cookies and that's about it. I actually would rather not eat them but I need all the calories I can get since I excercise a lot.

Roxy
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:24 AM
As you can probably see from my daily posts, I usually have a night-time snack of a vegan cookie or 2, or some vegan choc. This is probably more out of habbit than anything else. Although I do enjoy my daily sweet!

foxytina_69
Oct 1st, 2004, 06:30 AM
its rare that i get a craving for sweets but i used to love junkfood alot. like chips and fries. i havnt had those in a long time tho! recently ive bin eating a couple bites of soy icecream or my small peice of lime pie. its very rare for me to eat sweets! (i think it has to do with my coffee intake lately and my blood sugar levels)

~*Blue*~
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:16 AM
BBQ Soy Crisps :)

uww27225
Oct 6th, 2004, 01:37 PM
I just discovered the carob/natural peanut butter cups from Vegan Essentials. They're awesome! Tofutti cuties are pretty good and I wasn't an icecream sandwich fan when I was omni. Tofutti Cuties have more of a vanilla taste IMO.

I'm a big fan of kettle chips as well, though I'm trying to cut back on the amount of fried food I eat. Yesterday was a rough day so I went to a local bar/restaurant for dinner and had a country-fried tofu sandwich with tater tots and onion strings for dinner. It may have been junk food, but it was also comfort food. (Or was that comfort beer?? :D )

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 6th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Wow. How lucky are you to get a junky Vegan meal like that at a Bar/Restaurant?
You can't get a Vegan meal like that where I live; Everywhere around here that I know of uses only 1 fryer where they mix all of the chicken fingers, egg-battered onion rings, fried cheese logs, chimichangas, and such with the fries, tater tots and tortilla chips even ! :( The only place here for a vegan to get deep-fried *anything* is to fry it themselves!

paradoxsund
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:06 PM
I love Tofutti Peanut Butter Cookies....I have a weakness for sweet things...soy ice cream and peanut butter and jelly, mmm...and I love to eat vegan chocolate chips too...but my favorite sweet things are dates and organic apricots. Mmmm.........now you've made me hungry for some ^_^

wuggy
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:19 PM
I have a problem with all of the following! -
Carrott Cake (homemade, with raisins and walnuts included), 'Just So' orange carob bars, vegan marzipan bars (can't remember who makes them but they're lovely), Holy Cow Jelly Beans, Bourbon biscuits, Whizzers, Plamil nut bars, roasted Peanuts, Swedish Glace ice-cream, and Tesco doughnuts!
This is why I am trying to sort my diet out!
Actually, for the last week I have eaten mainly raw, fresh foods, and have hardly missed the junk - until today cos I'm tired and feel like I'm getting the flu - so I just had 2 gingerbreads from Safeway!

eve
Oct 7th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Reading through these posts makes me wonder if there are any vegans on this forum who eat proper food! Nothing wrong with dates, apricots, nuts, etc - those sorts of foods are tasty but not junk. :)

wuggy
Oct 7th, 2004, 06:59 AM
One can still manage to eat a lot of 'proper' food, but some of us were brought up with junk as comfort food, and it takes a while to get away from that concept completely! I, for one, am trying, though!
I didn't become veg or vegan for my own health - but through being vegan have discovered how valuable good, fresh foods really are.

uww27225
Oct 7th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Wow. How lucky are you to get a junky Vegan meal like that at a Bar/Restaurant?
You can't get a Vegan meal like that where I live; Everywhere around here that I know of uses only 1 fryer where they mix all of the chicken fingers, egg-battered onion rings, fried cheese logs, chimichangas, and such with the fries, tater tots and tortilla chips even ! :( The only place here for a vegan to get deep-fried *anything* is to fry it themselves!
Yeah, I realize how lucky I am in Milwaukee to have this bar/restaurant. They have omni food as well, but they keep the two kitchens (and fryers) seperate. They even have a bunch of vegan sauces you can choose from (i.e. ranch, sour cream, etc.). It's not somewhere I eat often, but it's nice to know that it's there for when I need that greasy comfort food. :)