PDA

View Full Version : Do Caterpillars wee?

Pages : [1] 2

pixeequeen
Jul 13th, 2005, 03:53 PM
I was just sitting at my pooter, and feel an itch on my knee.. So i look down and its a caterpillar! Aw I think to myself, friend of the animals or what.. So I take it outside and find it a particularly nice patch of plantage for it to go on and as I'm putting it down, it leaves this browny yellow blob of liquid on me. Cheeky bugger. I, for some reason, didn't think caterpillars 'wee'ed' as such, but now I wonder...?? Someones gunna tell me it was poison arent they... :eek:
So come on you lot are a source of all knowldege about all creatures, so solve my rather mundane curiosity for me!
Cheers, Pix

Roxy
Jul 13th, 2005, 07:11 PM
LOL! :D Maybe it was some kind of lubrication to help it move along? Or maybe it was just wee.

Kevster
Jul 13th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Yeah i've had that, maybe the caterpillar was using it to scare you off? Did you taste it by the way? Maybe it was a defensive maneouvre?

pixeequeen
Jul 13th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Did I taste it?!!! I thought it better not too, I generally steer away from things that come out of a caterpillars bottom. I think it may have been a defence thing, so rapidly washed my hands before my finger fell off. Maybe the caterpillar just had a bizarre sense of humour. I'll remember that, next time someone annoys me...

Cherry
Jul 13th, 2005, 07:25 PM
I'm quite sure they do wee. I wouldn't take it personally though! Maybe it was a gesture of thanks!?

pixeequeen
Jul 13th, 2005, 07:26 PM
I like your idea Cherry, gesture of thanks, yeah that'd be it! Gosh I feel all warm inside now.

Cherry
Jul 13th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Or perhaps it was just so relieved to be outside again!

pixeequeen
Jul 13th, 2005, 08:19 PM
It's a bit wierd actually, I've got ripped jeans on today (I wear through the kness on all my jeans in ridiculously short amounts of time, it seems through my hyperactive running about, bending and kneeling!!!!!) And I've had an abundance of wildlife attracted to the bare skin on my left knee. I've checked it for jam but see no sugary insect attraction, must just be their desire for contact with lovely little me

tails4wagging
Jul 14th, 2005, 06:08 AM
It could be poo, it left behind!. :)

puffin
Jul 14th, 2005, 01:17 PM
I have never picked up a caterpillar, i would love to but my mum had a really bad reaction when she picked one up, she rubbed her eyes (not with the caterpillar) and she couldnt see for abou 6 hours :rolleyes: Maybe she just rubbed some caterpillar wee in there and didnt know it!

Mozbee
Jul 14th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Reading through this thread I go with Tails poo philosophy for def, afterall they eat leaves it was a gooey leafey colour ;)

screamingcarrot
Jul 14th, 2005, 02:59 PM
are you sure you didnt accidentally squish it when you tried to pick it up? :(

pixeequeen
Jul 14th, 2005, 03:09 PM
No I didnt squish it promise!! It 'let loose' as it was climbing off my finger.

Nivvie
Jul 14th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Maybe it thought your jeans were a big female caterpillar....ohhhh baby....

Mozbee
Jul 14th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Now now Nivvie, they don't sell those do they ;) :D

Stu
Jul 14th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Only Pixeequeen could title a thread "Do Caterpillars Wee?"

Anyway, don't caterpillers just do a general excretion that is both poo and wee in one handy package, like birds?

Mozbee
Jul 14th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Stu you make it sound like they wrap it up specially too!

pixeequeen
Jul 14th, 2005, 11:36 PM
I've been hunting round for more info on caterpillars, cos I really have to know now, but Im not a whole lot more enlightened. and most of the stuff is very scientific and over my head. However, I now know that Caterpillars have anuses. Also they excrete 'frass', which is a nice word for poo, but its ball like and definitely not what my chum left on me. Maybe it was wee, maybe it was spit, maybe it was excess caterpillar hair gel, I still don't kow but I am incredbily proud to have created an 18 post thread on the subject. Yay for caterpillars!

waveslidah
Jul 14th, 2005, 11:46 PM
This is funny because this morning I found a caterpillar on the side of a tray on my work desk. I placed a napkin underneath and held it there until the caterpillar ended up on the napkin. I showed it to my co worker but as I was showing him I noticed a bright green discharge onto the napkin from one end. It didn't seem to be waste, more like some chemical secretion. I placed the caterpillar outside around some plants.

pixeequeen
Jul 14th, 2005, 11:47 PM
THe stuff I got was browny yellow, but I read somewhere that green excretion ( I think thats their wee) because of all the chlorophyll from all the leaf munching!

l337_v3g4n_1
Jul 15th, 2005, 12:08 AM
*snort* heeeheheheheeheehee!!! Gwahahahaaa hahahah ahahahahaha ahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

sorry

This thread just made me laugh out loud for a few minutes.

ah. To be, or Do caterpillars wee, that is the question...
thanks for cracking me up Pixeequeen!

Mozbee
Jul 15th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Maybe it was getting defensive and gave you an *acid attack* caterpillar-style! :D

Haniska
Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:04 PM
Maybe you scared him/her so bad you gave them diareah! Haha.

Moths have an attraction to my right eye, they go right for it!

Juice
Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:08 PM
LOL Caterpillar diahrrea!

how'd you find this thread, Haniska? Did you do a search for 'wee'? :)

Haniska
Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:21 PM
No I searched lube:o
This post is a year old huh? Oh well, now that I have your attention, I went to that vegan lube website and they are expensive!