PDA

View Full Version : Arabic Salad

librahi
Jul 13th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Anyone know anything about arabic salad? I make it with falafel. My favorite meal that I eat, period. I put it on top of falafel in a pita with veganiase. LOVE IT! Here is a recipe, so easy!

1 large cucumber
1 large tomato
1 or 1.5 green peppers
some green onions (about 1/8 cup maybe)
some parsley (about a tablespoon)

*cut all of the above ingredients into small pieces, about the size of a US dime. chop the parsley (or pluck it) and the green onions into very small pieces. combine in a large bowl

1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
garlic salt (to taste, about 1 tsp.?)

*this is the dressing. mix it all up and put in the veggies.

*place this all in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes to chill. serve it in a bowl and eat it with a spoon or top on falafel.

I LOVE this stuff, make it once a week at least. let me know if you try it!

maya
Jul 13th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Sounds good! It almost reminds me of Tabouleh which is one of my favorite salads.

Maya

librahi
Jul 14th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Tabouleh is wonderful. My father is arabic, and I was raised eating this stuff (along with that damn meat they always stuck in my gace). Tabouleh, Hummous, Arabic Salad, Falafel, etc.

harpy
Jul 14th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Yes, that does sound very good - perhaps like fatoush only without the bread?

Tigerlily
Jul 14th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Yup, Harpy. Fatoosh is traditionally left over salad that they add baked bread to to "freshen" it up.

Mystic
Jul 15th, 2005, 07:34 AM
I love arabic food :p

screamingcarrot
Jul 15th, 2005, 08:16 AM
me too..huge felaffel and hummus fan. love tabbouleh aswell. grew up on the stuff..
do you guys like tahini?? i like tahini and tomato sauce sandwiches. :D
librahi im going to try your recipe!

Mystic
Jul 15th, 2005, 09:40 AM
I hated tahini until I discovered that the reason I hated it was because I was buying the unhulled one. The hulled one is much milder and I really like it :)

screamingcarrot
Jul 15th, 2005, 11:11 AM
i didn't know that the unhulled one existed!
hey do you eat it with tomato sauce too? :D

Roxy
Jul 15th, 2005, 06:33 PM
I love arabic food too! I think I'm addicted to hummus. Actually, I have some felafel in the freezer. Maybe I'll take one out and have it for breakfast or lunch!

Mystic
Jul 16th, 2005, 07:29 AM
i didn't know that the unhulled one existed!
hey do you eat it with tomato sauce too? :D

Really? Don't buy it! It is bitter and too strong :eek:

I can't say I have ever had tahini with tomato sauce before, but I LOVE tomato sauce :D