PDA

View Full Version : Nails

Pages : [1] 2 3

Roxy
May 5th, 2005, 08:21 AM
My fingernails just don't seem to be as strong as they used to be and they seem a bit flaky on the ends.

Who can tell me what I could be deficient in and what foods I can eat to make up for that deficiancy?

Gorilla
May 5th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Hi Roxy :) i don't know about specific nutrients, but my nails used to be really brittle. since becoming vegan i've noticed they're much stronger. it seems to be that i'm getting better sources of calcium, as well as magnesium and zinc - i wasn't too careful about eating those things before.

i don't know if these help but that's just what i've noticed personally. :)

Roxy
May 6th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Hi Gorilla! Thanks for the info. I was thinking it could be a calcium deficiency - but I wasn't sure.

Hope you're well :D

Roxy

Seaside
May 9th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Hi Roxy,
You may need silica rich foods in your diet. Almonds, oats, sunflower seeds, and strawberries are a few foods rich in silica, or you can take horsetail supplements. Horsetail is an aquatic plant, not a horse's tail! :)

Roxy
May 9th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Thanks Seaside! I have been eating some really beautiful organic strawberries lately. I will keep them up and enquire at the health food shop about the horsetail supplements :)

Seaside
May 9th, 2005, 06:17 PM
You're welcome, Roxy! Silica is known as the "beauty mineral." It's good for hair and skin, too.
(Mmmmm, strawberry season is here! :p )

Kumem
Jul 14th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Hi

Do any of you nutrition bods out there know anything about nails?

I have always had weak, very brittle nails. However, since going vegan, they are growing at an amazing rate and don't seem so flakey.

Just wondered why that was really. Also, they use to be very white, but they are starting to go a bit see through, but with white bits on them too, down the middle of the nail. It looks really odd and I initially wondered if it could be lack of calcium, but then surely that wouldn't explain why they seem stronger and are growing more quickly.

I have been vegan for about 1.5 months (I think). Prior to this I rarely had milk, but ate a lot of cheese. Now I am having soya milk/cream, lots of nuts and beans.

Liz

Evilfluffbunny
Jul 14th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I'm no expert but I read that white bits could be either bruising or a lack of zinc.

Like you, my nails grow very quickly but I had the opposite effect after turning vegan; my previously see-through nails are now really white and strong. I don't really know what it means if they're a bit transparent though - I was consuming milk when my nails were like that so I'm not sure if it would be a calcium deficiency. :confused:

Cherry
Jul 14th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Have found this list:

White lines or spots can be a sign of a zinc or iron deficiency or protein deficiency.
Thin flat nails may indicate a B12 deficiency
Ridged nails may indicate an iron deficiency
Frequent hangnails may indicate a Vitamin C deficiency
Yellowish nails may indicate a B12 deficiency or may indicate diabetes, allergies, liver problems

I used to get white spots sometimes before I was vegan. I get ridges sometimes but not sure if it's a lack of iron or if it's when I've had eczema on my hands.

Stu
Jul 14th, 2005, 11:45 PM
My flatmate swears by Sea Kelp tablets (from Holland & Barrett etc) for strong healthy nails. It stimulates the thyroid gland apparently, making your hair and nails grow quicker and stronger. Supposedly, it also makes your skin regenerate quicker and gives you more energy.

tails4wagging
Jul 15th, 2005, 05:22 AM
My flatmate swears by Sea Kelp tablets (from Holland & Barrett etc) for strong healthy nails. It stimulates the thyroid gland apparently, making your hair and nails grow quicker and stronger. Supposedly, it also makes your skin regenerate quicker and gives you more energy.

Take extra iodine with care, as you dont want to stimulate the thyroid gland that produces enough thyroxin for your needs. As it can harm your body by stimulating the heart rate.

Try extra calcium in your diet for strong nails. White patches I was told was due to damage to the nail bed.

Cal
Jul 15th, 2005, 05:35 AM
White patches I was told was due to damage to the nail bed.
My nails sleep in the same bed as I do! :eek:

tails4wagging
Jul 15th, 2005, 05:44 AM
My nails sleep in the same bed as I do! :eek:

LOL :D . Do people who sleep on a bed of nails get 'pins and needles'?

Cal
Jul 15th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Do people who sleep on a bed of nails get 'pins and needles'?
Well, it can be a pain in the bum/butt/bottom, that's for sure! ;) :D

veganblue
Jul 15th, 2005, 10:38 AM
White patches I was told was due to damage to the nail bed.

I have always been told that white patches are a sign of zinc deficiency. If I ever get one I just take a couple of zinc with vitamin C for a few days and pay more attention to eating leafy greens, nuts and whole grains. They have to grow out of the nail and won't vanish beforehand but you won't get any more if you up your zinc intake. :)

Kumem
Jul 15th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. :D It's weird because they were opaque white before being vegan, but a bit see through now. Will look out for other signs of various deficiencies and remember to take my multivit.

Liz

tails4wagging
Jul 15th, 2005, 05:43 PM
If someone has pernicious anaemia due to Vit B12 deficiency the nails go spoon shape.

Roxy
Jul 15th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Korn - perhaps you could join this thread and this (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3735&highlight=flaky+nails) thread together.

Korn
Jul 15th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Thanks - done!

Roxy
Jul 15th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Thank you :)

Tigerlily
Sep 9th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I never used to get bruises but the last couple of months, I'd had 3. Which is very odd, since I think I only had two previously in my whole life.

And my nails have always been soft (when I was non vegan and vegan), sometimes I get a little chip and I go to smooth it out, and I can rip off the whole top part of my nail. And it's so smooth, and easy.

Could these be any signs of a vitamin deficiency?

Now, I know some people are going to post and say "If you weren't vegan, you wouldn't be asking this, so why are you asking now? You don't believe a vegan diet is healthy enough???!!!" or something like that. It's not the case. If I was non vegan and was a member of a forum with a health board, I would have posted this same message.

Gliondrach
Sep 9th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Tigerlily, bruising could be a sign of weakness in the capillaries. Various flavanoids, especially quercetin, found in berries, apples and onions, are necessary for good capillary health. A lack of vit C can also lead to easy bruising. Are you on any medication?

Nails need silica to be healthy. A good source is oats and the herb horsetail. I'm not sure how easily silica is absorbed from horsetail. There are supplements you can take for nail health. I've seen Silicol in health shops. I think it is used for stomach upsets. Not sure if it's vegan. A lack of B vits, and protein can lead to brittle or soft nails. You also need plenty of essential fatty acids.

Tigerlily
Sep 9th, 2005, 02:56 PM
I'm on birth control pills (for hormonal reasons, not for actual birth control).

I'll try to eat more vitamin C rich fruits and I am planning on getting some blueberries, so now I have a good reason! :)

Artichoke47
Sep 9th, 2005, 03:05 PM
My nails sometimes break and snag easily, so I just trim them down if I have trouble. I cook, do dishes, and wash my hands frequently, which dries out the nail. Use lotion to strengthen them, if you remember/have time!

Gliondrach
Sep 9th, 2005, 03:13 PM
I'm on birth control pills (for hormonal reasons, not for actual birth control).

I'll try to eat more vitamin C rich fruits and I am planning on getting some blueberries, so now I have a good reason! :)

I don't know about The Pill. I was thinking more of anti-histamines and anti-coagulants. and aspirin.