PDA

View Full Version : Where does veganism stand in society ?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

sandra
Aug 25th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I know just what you mean Earthling!
When you are supposed to be treating yourself by having a weekend break or a holiday it's just too stressful trying to find restaurants who can make even one vegan meal for you! The hotel I stayed at last weekend didn't even have toast at breakfast time! :(

earthling
Aug 25th, 2010, 04:17 PM
^ What kind of hotel doesn't even have toast?!! :(:(

leedsveg
Aug 25th, 2010, 04:55 PM

One that is not worth staying at, if it's so restrictive for vegans.:(

lv

harpy
Aug 25th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Even if I weren't vegan I wouldn't want to stay at a hotel with no toast :eek: What did they have for breakfast, Sandra, or don't I want to know?

sandra
Aug 25th, 2010, 08:08 PM

One that is not worth staying at, if it's so restrictive for vegans.:(lv

Exactly! To both posts! :thumbsup:

Harpy............I didn't even bother going down for breakfast as my husband (he's vegetarian) said all they had was poached egg on soda bread (it contains buttermilk) or scrambled eggs. There was also a fried breakfast with all the usual suspects.........non vegan of course.
I was hoping to at least have some toast and marmalade and orange juice or coffee, but even that was denied me! :(

earthling
Aug 26th, 2010, 09:44 AM
You mean they didn't even have a loaf of normal bread in the building that they could have toasted for you? There are no words...!

Think you should name and shame, then none of us will accidentally go there!!

harpy
Aug 26th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I see. I would expect a hotel to have some dairy-free bread, if only to cater for people with allergies. I suppose they might claim they need advance notice but TBH it wouldn't occur to me in the circs.

At least you got a lie-in, perhaps? :)

earthling
Aug 26th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I see. I would expect a hotel to have some dairy-free bread, if only to cater for people with allergies. I suppose they might claim they need advance notice but TBH it wouldn't occur to me in the circs.

Indeed, imagine the phonecall: "Hi, I have a room booked, just checking to see if you have any bread..." :p

leedsveg
Aug 26th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Indeed, imagine the phonecall: "Hi, I have a room booked, just checking to see if you have any bread..." :p

Receptionist: "Well we can get you some Hovis bread [as obviously you're some kind of bloody troublemaker on a bizarre diet]. By the way, did I mention that we charge extra for putting a bed in your bedroom, most guests naturally preferring to stand up all night?"

lv

earthling
Aug 26th, 2010, 04:50 PM
^ :lol::lol::lol:

sandra
Aug 26th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I know it's so ridiculous isn't it? The hotel was the Europa hotel in Belfast.......famed for being the most bombed hotel in the world! :rolleyes:

I've posted a review about my stay there on Trip Advisor so hopefully if any vegetarians or vegans see it they will avoid the Europa like the plague!

They just seemed to go out of their way to be difficult.............I mean how easy is it to make a piece of toast? I use Hovis bread all the time so I suspect the hotel could manage to buy a couple of loaves on the off chance that someone might like toast for breakfast! :rolleyes:

I've sent a letter of complaint to James Maginn the general manager of the hotel so if any of you would like to send him a similar letter please feel free! :)

RhegHimself
Sep 4th, 2010, 01:16 PM
On a more positive note, Does anyone want to share any positive or unexpected experiences