PDA

View Full Version : Neal Barnard on abc radio

eve
Jul 17th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Yesterday 16/7, Neal Barnard took part in a one-hour radio national program Radio Eye, called "cheesed"! Of course there were dairy people too, but to me, (and I'm not biased :D) Dr Barnard was the best. He spoke quietly and logically, giving some facts about the casein in dairy products being addictive. Especially in cheese as it is so concentrated.

Apparently this casein has an effect similar to heroin! And I must say that on this forum, when people are new to veganism, something that is often posted, is that cheese is the hardest food to give up.

ConsciousCuisine
Jul 17th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I *love* to hear Dr. Barnard speak and have had the pleasure of meeting with him several times as well. Why is cheese addictive? Cheese releases mild opiates during digestion, is about 70 percent saturated fat and has more cholesterol, ounce for ounce, than a steak.

Dr. Barnard says:

"Casein, the fundamental protein in cow’s milk, breaks apart in the digestive process to release chemicals called casomorphins, and the casomorphins are casein-derived, morphine-like substances." And cheese contains loads of casomorphins. Dr. Barnard says, "It is the process of cheese making, when all the liquid is pressed together, which leaves just pure casein and fat. And it’s the purest form of the casein — and once in your digestive track it breaks down into casomorphins."

"Breaking the Food Seduction" is one of his best books and I highly reccomend it.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/sim-explorer/explore-items/-/0312314930/0/101/1/none/purchase/ref%3Dpd%5Fsxp%5Fr0/102-0625874-6481742

eve
Jul 18th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Yep it's a great book, and I bought a few copies for omni friends of mine, one in particular by having her read about the chocolate seduction. In fact I do recall that cheese is also mentioned in Breaking the Food Seduction as being addictive. There's no doubt he's a great guy, and you are fortunate to have met him. :)

adam antichrist
Jul 20th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Apparently this casein has an effect similar to heroin!

Cheese was the only non-vegan food I ate regularly (with the exception of hidden additives in otherwise vego foods) and when I went vegan I detoxed!!! I was sick for about three weeks... until I discovered sweet william chocolate and that made me feel better ;)