PDA

View Full Version : Cruelty Free Store

bluebird45
Jul 20th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Hi. I am thinking of opening a small store selling only cruelty free products. Mainly beauty products; makeup,skincare and beauty supplies. But I would also have some cleaning products and some animal rights stuff like shirts, stickers, etc. It would be a place where you can go in and know that all brands are certified cruelty free and most would be all natural and organic. I know some stores like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have some of this stuff but I would have a large selection of beauty products that you would have to go to many websites to find. I know there are websites like this, but I can't seem to find many brick & mortar stores. I live in a major city in the US but I don't know how well this would go over. Any advice?

tipsy
Jul 21st, 2005, 04:50 AM
i think its an amazing idea!

i would definatly shop there!

im always looking for good vegan cosmetics and such!

where would it be, may i ask?

bluebird45
Jul 21st, 2005, 04:04 PM
Hi. I am located in Las Vegas. I thought that aside from advertising to the locals, I could put ads in the tourist magazines since people come here from all over the world. I would probably call it an "earth & animal friendly" store not "Vegan" because people may think they have to be vegan. I will mainly focus on beauty supplies to start so it would be of interest to all women. I'm just scared because doing this would cost me my life savings and some more in loans. I'll go bankrupt if it doesn't work. That's why I was looking for some feedback. Thanks.

Roxy
Jul 21st, 2005, 07:19 PM
I live too far away to shop there in person - but when I visited Las Vegas I would definately stop in and support your store!

kriz
Jul 26th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Looks like Las Vegas is becoming more and more vegan friendly, so it might be a good market for a cruelty free store. I think the key is what you mentioned - to offer products that will appeal to non-vegans too. That way you'll have some guaranteed loyal vegan customers as well as others who just happen to like your products and will buy them.

I'm actually thinking of opening a vegan shoe store here in LA. There's none here in Southern California, so there might be a market. I already have a business specializing in eco friendly cleaning products, but I would love to have a store where I can promote vegan goods all day! :)

Kumem
Jul 26th, 2005, 07:11 PM
That's a great idea Kriz - hope it goes well. :)

kriz
Jul 26th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks, kumem. Now I just need the money. :D

ehkarnes
Jul 29th, 2005, 11:07 PM
i think it is a great idea and i would definitaly shop there. there is a store in richmond where im from that is similar and they do great buisness. one thing that keeps them going strong is because they are very community oriented and host open mics and hold a small vegetarian festivle. even though vegans run the store and they only sell cosmetics and merchandise that are vegan much of their produce and recipe books and food stuff are vegetarian because that makes even the meat eating hippies flock. but going into the community is really great. they even got front page on the newspaper of a violent city for starting a lake and garden made from compost of outdated foods from the store.

bluebird45
Jul 31st, 2005, 06:44 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice and support. I am very excited about this and have been doing alot of work the past couple of months putting things together to get this going. Thanks agian.