PDA

View Full Version : On a desert island with only an animal - would you eat it?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

eve
Jan 17th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Surely that one animal would be your only companion, who would you talk to if it was'nt?. Anyway when hunger gets unbearable it is more likely the animal would attack first!
Not if the animal were a herbivore, such as a cow - they are sweet natured, loving and kind, and maintain a vegan diet, but that doesn't mean they would eat a vegan! :D

gertvegan
Jan 17th, 2005, 03:17 PM
How did a lone animal get on the island? Perhaps he’s a mirage, brought on by my diet-induced protein deficiency. Or perhaps this scenario was faced by the second cousin of a neighbor of a friend of yours in college after she went on the run from the coppers after throwing red paint on little old ladies in faux fur?

Is this one of those funky islands with the plants that experience recognizable emotions? That’s fascinating! What else can one find on this island? Vegans who wear leather shoes? The diary you kept when you were vegan for a week and you could not eat one single thing and your skin turned bright yellow like that of a lemon? Are Skipper, the Professor and the rest of the S.S. Minnow crew on the island, still trying to construct elaborate machines out of coconuts only to be foiled at the last moment by the highjinks of a certain accident prone but lovable sailor?

Maybe you should go visit this island. I hear the weather’s fabulous.

gertvegan
Jan 17th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Personally, I don’t answer this kind of question because it is purely speculative and diverts attention from the real ethical questions and decisions most of us face each and every day. It has much less significance if I would kill an animal in a very unlikely and imagined scenario than if I would eat a meat sandwich from a fast-food restaurant. No one could tell you with absolute certainty what they would do in a dire situation they’ve never experienced. My personal convictions and ethical choices are shaped by circumstances faced daily, not hazy speculations.

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 17th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Actually, I CAN think of a shorter, SNAPPIER answer, but it may get removed if I posted it!

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 17th, 2005, 08:45 PM
On a deserted island with only one animal? How does the animal live. What is it eating? I'd maybe eat if if it died of natural causes, but I wouldn't kill it.

Eww, would you??
The thought of eating decaying flesh sickens me! :( :(
I would no more consider an animal food (after 17 years without meat) than I would consider eating my own leg, in this, or any other scenario! :o

TheFirstBus
Jan 17th, 2005, 11:22 PM
How did a lone animal get on the island? Perhaps hes a mirage, brought on by my diet-induced protein deficiency. Or perhaps this scenario was faced by the second cousin of a neighbor of a friend of yours in college after she went on the run from the coppers after throwing red paint on little old ladies in faux fur?

If the animal is a mirage perhaps the protien deficiency is an illusion as well.

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 17th, 2005, 11:25 PM
If the animal is a mirage perhaps the protien deficiency is an illusion as well.

Maybe it's all a bad dream (probably caused by this strange Vegan lifestyle!! :D).

TheFirstBus
Jan 17th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Maybe it's all a bad dream (probably caused by this strange Vegan lifestyle!! :D).

I should imagine so. I know not killing things could only end in disaster :D

John
Jan 17th, 2005, 11:42 PM
We have to find out if it's safe to bring pets along on the big Veganforum cruise.

TheFirstBus
Jan 18th, 2005, 12:21 AM
you know that would actually be really cool. A vegan forum cruise. What kind of food do you think they'd serve??

John
Jan 18th, 2005, 12:31 AM
There are restaurants around here that serve delicious vegan seafood. Vegan crabcakes, vegan shrimp, vegan scallops, vegan squid. It would be cool to have that stuff on board. I love the taste of the ocean and I snack on sea vegetables daily.

TheFirstBus
Jan 18th, 2005, 12:36 AM
wow. Live music to??

John
Jan 18th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Lol. :D We just have to make sure that the lifeboats have vegan rations.

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 18th, 2005, 07:58 AM
I don't like being stuck on a boat, can't we have a Great Veganforum Camping Marathon??

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 18th, 2005, 07:59 AM
It'd be much safer, too, if we stay away from Desert Islands!

Billy
Jan 18th, 2005, 08:32 AM
It'd be much safer, too, if we stay away from Desert Islands!

hmmmm, with us lot you might actually want a desert island. Imagine all of us being on a campsite and the neighbours decide to have a barbie with flesh on them....WAR!!!! :rolleyes: Not a good plan (for starters because it would be highly embarrassing to see my ''vegan'' dogs going to side with said neighbour and beg for sausages!)

See ya,
Billy

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 18th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Ok, we'll camp on a deserted Island, but just make sure we don't get stranded - otherwise we might have to decide *who* to eat first! :p

veganblue
Jan 18th, 2005, 10:10 AM
There are restaurants around here that serve delicious vegan seafood. Vegan crabcakes, vegan shrimp, vegan scallops, vegan squid. It would be cool to have that stuff on board. I love the taste of the ocean and I snack on sea vegetables daily.

Last week while farewelling a vegan going to Spain (to teach English) we ate at a Buddist restaurant that serves v-prawns - orange tinted tofu made in prawn molds. I *know* it's okay but there is something distinctly odd about eating them - may I suggest it was a bit *fishy*? :p

Vegan cruise - if the weather got unpleasant or it was a little boring we could have big beautiful kitchens stocked with international ingredients and show each other our favorite dish preparation, spice mix, how to make your own soymilk and tofu. So long as no one felt sea sick of course...

John
Jan 18th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I hear ya Veganblue. The shrimps would be pretty pissed if they knew I was eating food created in their likeness.

paradoxsund
Jan 21st, 2005, 02:53 AM
Hmm...I would not eat the animal on the premise that I probably couldn't bring myself to kill it, gut it and all that. It makes me queasy just imagining it. Besides, an animal would only last so long- if I was truly desperate I'd maybe try to get fish. The lack of blood wouldn't be as bad. But honestly...the plants would do just fine. The first concern should be water, ne?

veganblue
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:13 AM
I hear ya Veganblue. The shrimps would be pretty pissed if they knew I was eating food created in their likeness.

Next time you are chatting to a shrimp, John, I am trusting you not to tell them - that goes for everyone, ya hear! *looks around warily for the shrimp police*.... :D

I wonder if anyone would eat at a restaurant that produced vegan food that was made in the shape of people? Eating meat disgusts us right? but omnis don't blink twice at eating a prawn or chicken leg... I am having amusing ideas of a media stunt - free BBQ with a huge tofu person on a wonderful platter surrounded by salad - offered to passers by with some sort of banner - the exact wording will require work. "Meat isn't food" comes to mind.

Doesn't Ingrid Newkirk want her post-humous body chopped up and BBQ'd in New York with the same idea. She is such a brave chook.

John
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:50 AM
I remember sitting in a waiting room with a fishtank in it. In the fishtank was this beautiful, brightly colored, little critter. I assume he was a shrimp or something. As I was looking at him he came up to me and seemed to be looking back. He would follow my finger as I moved it along the glass. Call me crazy, but I felt like there was a connection. It must be lonley for a shrimp all alone in a tank but at least he wasn't getting eaten.

That reminds me of a time I was watching the lobsters at the supermarket. They were really packed in there. Two jumped on the backs of the others and started fighting. A third lobster jumped up and got between them, pushing them away from each other with his claws, breaking up the tussle. It was as if he was saying, "Peace brothers, we're all in this together."

snaffler
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:23 AM
The best way is to point out to meat heads that 99% of desert islands that are on shipping routes and flight paths do contain more than just animals.

Also if an animal is alive and well on that islands he or she must be eating something to stay so well, the chances are you could share the plant with the animal.

If the animal is in good shape the island must have a fair stock of plant based food on the island. Also if the animal is on the island it must have got to the island some how, so in reality you are not far from a main island unless it's was a fish.

At the end of the day if you are presented with an anti-vegan question which the probability of it ever happening are a billion to one treat it with the content it desrves and give them facts back.

From a personal note if the desert island was that small the probabilty of a plan or a boat crashing on it will be very small....so it means the mode of transport you travelled in must have crashed in the ocean....that's me f***d already, I swim like a house brick at the best of times. :D

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:33 PM
John, that it so sad, I hate to think of Lobsters like that. :(

Gorilla
Jan 25th, 2005, 02:10 PM
yeah John i don't think i've ever been in a supermarket where you could buy live lobsters out of a tank! i've heard of it in restaurants though..... :(

this question reminds me of the Simpsons episode Das Bus - i'm surprised nobody's mentioned it yet. the kids are on a school trip and the school bus crashes into the sea. they're all stranded on a desert island and their food supplies are gone. while looking for more food they find a wild boar, apparently the only animal on the island. Lisa sees the boar licking slime off a rock and suggests the kids eat the slime too, but the others kill and roast the boar. :rolleyes:

how many 8-10 year-old kids would be able to catch and kill a wild boar, and roast it on a spit without giving themselves food poisoning?!! maybe in America, where hunting is more common? but surely Lisa wouldn't be the only one who couldn't kill and eat a creature they'd seen alive in the wild?