PDA

View Full Version : On a desert island with only an animal - would you eat it?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

WildWitch
Oct 25th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Im sure if it were a large island though there would be more than one animal, what would the animal live off?

Bit of a daft question really, if there were only one animal on the whole island then the animal would have to be veggie at least, that limits the options to

Bunnies!

And they bread like well, bunnies so there would probably be loads of em to cuddle up to. Awwwww i do love bunnies.

aussievego
Oct 26th, 2008, 11:58 PM
heh..we had a (mildly disasterous) house meeting the other night to try and sort out some of the ways that we are all disatisfied with how the house is run. my oldest daughter's gripe is the no meat rule..i've though recently about how if i can source them, and i probably can, buying about 3 or 4 eggs a fortnight from locally rescued hens, how she could have this as an addition to her diet. (justifying here - the kid isn't vegan or even vegetarian so no grief plzzz)

The egg argument is a complex issue. I personally choose not to eat any animal products so I don't eat eggs (and find the thought of eating a chicken's menstrual cycles disgusting quite frankly), but I don't see too much of an ethical problem with people eating eggs from rescued hens, providing there are no Roosters with the hens so the eggs are unfertilised. I know people who have rescued hens and sell their eggs to help raise money to keep the sanctuary going. This may not be technically vegan, but I think ethically it's ok. The hens would lay the eggs regardless, and they would be left to rot in the sun, so why not use them to make more money to rescue more hens?

I would still try to discourage my children from eating eggs in the same situation but if they insisted I would have to at least consider it.

Korn
Nov 7th, 2008, 07:27 AM
The egg argument is a complex issue. I personally choose not to eat any animal products so I don't eat eggs (and find the thought of eating a chicken's menstrual cycles disgusting quite frankly), but I don't see too much of an ethical problem with people eating eggs from rescued hens, providing there are no Roosters with the hens so the eggs are unfertilised. I know people who have rescued hens and sell their eggs to help raise money to keep the sanctuary going. This may not be technically vegan, but I think ethically it's ok. The hens would lay the eggs regardless, and they would be left to rot in the sun, so why not use them to make more money to rescue more hens?

I would still try to discourage my children from eating eggs in the same situation but if they insisted I would have to at least consider it.
These threads may be interesting for you...
Vegans and eggs (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370)
Vegans and eggs: here's the short, one-paragraph version! (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=518769)