PDA

View Full Version : On a desert island with only an animal - would you eat it?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

TheFirstBus
Jul 15th, 2004, 03:00 AM
Meat eaters have asked the question "what is you were stuck on a deserted island with only an animal?? would you eat it". Well I ask it of you to ask the meat eaters you know "what if you were on an island with an animal and enough vegetable to feed you both (make it vegetable they don't like), heres the catch the animals companionship is the key to keeping there sanity. So do they eat the animal and sacrifice sanity or do they eat the food they don't enojy and keep there sanity??"

John
Jul 15th, 2004, 03:12 AM
I can't really blame anyone stranded on an island for eating meat. However, it is a fact that many Polynesian islands where made uninhabitable by deforestation, domesic animals, and hunting. The island of Tikopia is a success story where they had to abandon raising pigs and only eat vegetables and fish to stay alive. Unfortunatley, they also had to institute human sacrifice so hopefully the earth won't get to that point.

artbeat
Jul 15th, 2004, 07:57 AM
There have been cases where people even have been eating other humans in emergency situations, but I don't really see that this is relevant in a pro/con eating animals (or humans) discussion!

If there's one animal on that island, there are eatable plants there too.

foxytina_69
Jul 15th, 2004, 08:12 AM
good point, why couldnt they just survive on the plant foods :)

artbeat
Jul 15th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Because they are meat heads - the meat has gone to their heads!

Sorry couldn't resist that one. I'm sure they are brilliant people deep inside :)

foxytina_69
Jul 15th, 2004, 08:31 AM
LoL :D

Sabster
Jul 17th, 2004, 12:07 AM
It's one of those situations where you don't really know what you will do or how far you will go until you are in it. It's best to be thankful you're not in a situation where you have to choose and hope you don't land in such a situation. An old veg friend of mine had no problem admitting he'd eat other humans if he had no other choice (in reference to a flight crash where such a thing has happened)... non veg me at the time said absolutelly not... and I maintain that.... the thing is you don't really know what that kind of situation is like... how much you really value life/not being eaten when you are in that situation. I'd like to think I could survive for a week... two w/out touching a thing... but that's not really the reality... and well there are a million other things to consider ... do you want to be the next meal... etc etc... It's just a trap question that's not completelly answerable. Ethically... and ideally ... ummm no. But realistically... it's hard to say.... and while I would tend to say no I no there's a lot I'm not taking into account in the process of saying no. So, yeh.

tsunami
Jul 17th, 2004, 05:09 AM
NO way, even if i am to die myself. There wil definitely be fruit and vegetables and such.and since you are near the sea, there are many sea vegetables going ashore. Anyway, there is no point in eating thew animal, if yu are to be stranded there, you will eat the carcass and run out of food anyway. Might as well actually think and do your best and hardest to live otherwise.Anyway loneliness can be a much more horrible insanity.

Gorilla
Jul 17th, 2004, 09:41 PM
yeah this is a silly question that doesn't really prove anything as Sabster says no-one can really say how they'd act in a certain situation until it happened to them. i also wonder how many meat-eaters who ask this question would actually have a clue how to catch, kill and prepare a wild animal for food anyway...

Sabster
Jul 17th, 2004, 10:18 PM
i also wonder how many meat-eaters who ask this question would actually have a clue how to catch, kill and prepare a wild animal for food anyway...

*falls out of chair*

So, ture. I didn't. And besides... as I said before even as a meat eater I was well squemish about touching anything raw ... much less a fish that needed scaling etc.... yek. And there are plenty more out there... It's the modern age of prepared.. pre packaged foods.

TheFirstBus
Jul 17th, 2004, 10:45 PM
*falls out of chair*

So, ture. I didn't. And besides... as I said before even as a meat eater I was well squemish about touching anything raw ... much less a fish that needed scaling etc.... yek. And there are plenty more out there... It's the modern age of prepared.. pre packaged foods.

well you knw thats why I wonder if humans were meat to eat meat. I mean we are the only anil that cooks our meat. If we don't we may get sick because the meat is not cooked.

John
Jul 18th, 2004, 07:23 AM
We all have an instict to survive. Human beings are closest to rodents(generalists). We will do whatever it takes to stay alive. However, right now I don't have to consume animals to survive. When there are six billion humans on the planet, we have to figure out how we can all stay alive.

eve
Jul 19th, 2004, 05:02 AM
You're right John, as vegans we are living proof that consuming meat is totally unnecessary.

TheFirstBus
Jul 19th, 2004, 05:54 AM
They always say how much animals consume just to fatten them up. why no stop eating the animals and feed them what they need and with the rest start to feed people. I mean its a start right??

drussell4801
Jul 20th, 2004, 04:55 PM
in a flight crash situation, I would offer myself as food to the others. I would like to be killed before being cooked though. I am not a lobster. :|

tsunami
Jul 20th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Exactly. But first of all try to figure out if there is another way through it all, as there pretty much definitely will be one. Like fruit/vegetables form the sea and on the island, and building a vessel from fallen logs and such, or someone with a cellphone to contact the outside world. plus bunch of plains fly by almost everywhere every day.

Sabster
Jul 21st, 2004, 05:14 AM
in a flight crash situation, I would offer myself as food to the others. I would like to be killed before being cooked though. I am not a lobster. :|
You're funny:lol: But I don't think that's how it works. When people have reverted to canibalism to live I presume they lived off those already dead....

So, yeh that's why it's not really a question that's answerable. I've already said that back when I was an omni I swore I wouldn't... and I'm just so grossed out how could you live with yourself... The thing is it's one of those things most can't trully answer w/out going through it.

I think that plain crash was in a high altitude area of the mountains... freezing temp.... Not sure though. The incident that actually happened that is.

Hasha
Jul 26th, 2004, 04:17 AM
The point of such questions is to show either that:
a) the vegan is inconsistent for he would go against his beliefs in certain circumstances, or
b) the vegan is a blind fanatic for he would rather starve to death than give up his veganism.
It's quite pointless to argue that there would be plenty of plants to eat on the island. To do so would mean to play a game in which you can never win. (Plus, the question can always be rephrased so that plant food truly becomes unavailable. For example: what would you do if you were in a dungeon and the only available food were chicken feet?). The point is that we are highly unlikely ever to face such a situation. We live on a planet with 6 billion other people and the number is getting bigger. The planet's resources are running out fast, and in an effort to sustain meat-eating, we are treating domestic animals with more cruelty than ever, by doing so, we are taking the land from the fewer and fewer wild animals, we are polluting our land and water, we are harming our own health while millions of people are starving, etc. Those are the very real problems that we face today. And as responsible people, we have tried to come up with a solution to those very real problems, and our solution is to be vegans. If we ever end up on an island (or in a dungeon) with a chicken, then we'll decide what to do. For the time being, the possibility is so unlikely that to seriously ponder on what we would do in such a situation would be nothing short of irresponsible, for we would be avoiding the real issues and wasting our time.

gertvegan
Jan 15th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Meat eaters have asked the question "what if you were stuck on a deserted island with only an animal?? would you eat it". We're running out of islands to strand vegans on aren't we.

gertvegan
Jan 15th, 2005, 04:54 PM
If you were stuck on a desert island you might have to run around naked, never take a shower and wipe your bottom with leaves. That doesn’t mean that you should do those things the rest of the time.

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 15th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Good point, Gert!
Anyway, the answer, for me, is, NO!
Animals are not food, it really is that simple.

John
Jan 15th, 2005, 08:35 PM
If you were stuck on a desert island you might have to run around naked, never take a shower and wipe your bottom with leaves.

What's so bad about that?

tails4wagging
Jan 16th, 2005, 07:27 AM
It would have to be a completely desserted island for me to run round naked!!! :D

Surely that one animal would be your only companion, who would you talk to if it was'nt?. Anyway when hunger gets unbearable it is more likely the animal would attack first!

TheFirstBus
Jan 16th, 2005, 03:18 PM
I would run around naked until the trees started to tell me otherwise.
CRAZY

paledim
Jan 17th, 2005, 12:42 AM
On a deserted island with only one animal? How does the animal live. What is it eating? I'd maybe eat if if it died of natural causes, but I wouldn't kill it.