PDA

View Full Version : Typical teenager in need of vegan meals!

Pages : [1] 2

Ms Gryff V3G4N
Jul 24th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Hi! I'm a typical teenager who likes to eat chips, pizza and chocolate. I have recently turned vegan, and my mum is struggling to find stuff for me to eat. I like Quorn products but most/all of them contain milk/eggs. PLZ HELP!!!

LittleNellColumbia
Jul 24th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Hi Ms Gryff V3G4N!

I too am a teen vegan and love to eat all those yummy goodies!
There are lots of good vegan alternative available in supermarkets such as vege mince for tacos, or vege sausages or burgers.
Also some of Borgs pies are vegan, and so are Nanas apple pies!
Depending on where you live, there are lots of vegan products available for order of even nearby to buy. There are lots of veg websites with vegan cakes, frozen meals, stapels etc.
Toffuti is a great brand, they make vegan pizza and cookies!
Good luck and i hope ive helped a bit:)

harpy
Jul 24th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Hello

Linda McCartney foods are usually available in supermarkets and (according to an old e-mail I have) the following ones are meant to be vegan now: Sausages, Sundried Tomato Sausages, Country Slices, Deep Country Pies and Sausage rolls (both sizes). You could also get hold of the Vegan Society's book "Animal Free Shopper" which lists vegan products (you can also access their database on line for nothing). Plus there are on-line shops like Goodness Direct that sell a range of vegan convenience foods, as do large wholefood shops like Fresh and Wild if you're near one of their branches.

However an even better bet might be to get hold of a vegan recipe book and/or look at some recipe web sites like this one http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/ Depending on convenience foods too much is expensive and not very healthy.

ladyaprille
Jul 24th, 2005, 09:14 PM
"cauldron" do some great burgers and sausages.. and for the sweet tooth, alpro soya make some delicious desserts in different flavours :)

VeganJohn
Jul 24th, 2005, 09:36 PM
You can buy a ready made organic stew in Morrisons, it is part of the Carol Vorderman range and is excellent. Also available in Morrisons is Soya milk for 99p and sage and onion slices.

Other fairly cheap foodstuffs you can buy are Tofu and Falafel.

Shouldn't really promote Morrisons though, due to my recent experiences!

VeganJohn
Jul 24th, 2005, 09:37 PM
"cauldron" do some great burgers and sausages.. and for the sweet tooth, alpro soya make some delicious desserts in different flavours :)

I was under the impression that the Cauldron range of sausages and burgers contained ingredients such as cheese and egg albumen??

VeganJohn
Jul 24th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Hi Ms Gryff V3G4N!

Toffuti is a great brand, they make vegan pizza and cookies!
Good luck and i hope ive helped a bit:)

Wow, ready made vegan pizzas?? I'd be interested to know what these are like!

ladyaprille
Jul 24th, 2005, 09:40 PM
thats odd :S i contacted cauldron and was assured the products were vegan suitable. oh im worrying now :(

twinkle
Jul 24th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Some Cauldron products are fine, but you do have to read the ingredients - I think they do about 4 or 5 different types of burgers, and some are vegan but some (the mushroom one, for example) definitely have egg white in them.

I really like Frys stuff - their hot dogs are really similar to the Tivali or Tesco veggie ones, but without the egg. And they do lovely schnitzels. Not quite so keen on their burgers but my last boyfriend liked them a lot.

tipsy
Jul 24th, 2005, 11:58 PM
i dont know if you guys have amy's organics in the uk...

there are a few items that are frozen and vegan.... burritos, pizza, bean loafs... fun things that everyone likes! :D

my best suggestion though is to learn how to cook! i wish i would have done that earlier in my life...

Crimsonskies
Jul 25th, 2005, 02:02 AM
I've found quite a few good vegan items around here, Boca, which has changed many of their recipes to vegan, cutting out eggs and milk. Unfortunately I've yet to find their products on the shelves.

Also, Tofutti makes a load of wonderful stuff, ice cream, pizzas, cream cheese, sour cream, mozz cheese, they have a varied selection.

Also, I've been able to find English Muffins, Mac & Cheese, Vegan Mayo.

So much good 100% animal free food.

I must say, I fell in love with some of these foods and quite easily forgot the animal filled foods! :)

Ms Gryff V3G4N
Jul 25th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Are the vegan pizzas nice? How similar are they to non-vegan pizzas? Thanks everyone for your suggestions, if u have any more it would b great to hear them! Do u no any nice milkshakes, coz I'm worried about how little calcium I now have.

LittleNellColumbia
Jul 25th, 2005, 12:25 PM
uh oh.......ive sinned.....i havnt actually tried the tofutti pizzas because i cant find them.......but i've been on the Tofutti website so i assure you they do exist!:D sorry guys!

Crimsonskies
Jul 25th, 2005, 12:56 PM
The pizzas are actually, really good. In fact, I'm eating one now! What a good breakfast. :) Tofutti and soy delisious make a good variety of ice creams that make very good chocolate shakes. Which, when added to soymilk or rice mlk give your body a healthy amount of calcium. Also though, be sure you're getting enough vitamin D, that helps your body to absorb the calcium, (That's why they put it in cow's milk). Vitamin D can be obtained either from certain multivitamins, seperate vitamins, or just by being in the sun your body can make its own. :)

If you want to try a really good shake, try this recipe.

1 1/4 cup soy milk
4 strawberries - frozen
1/2 cup blue berries
1 banana - frozen ( I usually leave the banana out )
Blend

(It's good!)

Ms Gryff V3G4N
Jul 25th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Are the pizzas similar to non-vegan pizzas, or are they just nice as something completely different, if you see what I mean.

Crimsonskies
Jul 25th, 2005, 10:00 PM
The Toffuti pizzas I buy taste no different than a non-vegan pizza. They're kind of like Ellios. Well, I'm not sure if they make more than one kind of pizza but the ones I buy are like Ellios. You get three squared slices.

Tofutti Pizza (http://www.tofutti.com/entrees.0.html)

Ms Gryff V3G4N
Jul 26th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Do you know any online shops in the UK which sell the Tofutti pizza, please?

Crimsonskies
Jul 26th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I'm sorry, I don't. If you visit the Toffuti website, check out the store finder section, and they'll tell you what stores in your area are known to carry their products.:)

Toffuti Store Finder (http://www.tofutti.com/storeFinder.asp)

Tigerlily
Jul 26th, 2005, 10:28 PM
I don't want to seem like the party pooper, but isn't everyone forgetting?...........

Fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains (brown rice, quinoa, and whole wheat pastas are easy to cook and delicious), and nuts and beans?

Wishin986
Jul 26th, 2005, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=jjdaiquiri]i dont know if you guys have amy's organics in the uk...

there are a few items that are frozen and vegan.... burritos, pizza, bean loafs... fun things that everyone likes! :D QUOTE]

yumm Amy's Organic cheeseless veggie pizza is absolutely amazing. it doesn't have any type of cheese what so ever but the sauce is so delicious and i am very fond of it. i highly recommend it. :)

Crimsonskies
Jul 26th, 2005, 11:19 PM
I don't want to seem like the party pooper, but isn't everyone forgetting?...........

Fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains (brown rice, quinoa, and whole wheat pastas are easy to cook and delicious), and nuts and beans?

Well, of course that's the best part of all the meals, the freshness of fruits and veggies. Best part is mixing fresh veggies with pastas, mmm. That's what I had for dinner, pasta, beans and spinach, fresh spinach.Mmmm. :)

And for desert, a smoothie...A nice cold smoothie to keep me cool, it's about 100 degrees here today.. (sigh) too hot...

Ms Gryff V3G4N
Jul 27th, 2005, 05:59 PM
I love pasta and rice, although no too keen on most sauces or curries! I love different styles of bread as well, like garlic bread and pitta and naan! Homemade garlic bread is amazingly tasty, with vegetable soup!

bulletproof
Jul 27th, 2005, 07:44 PM
i have never seen the toffuti pizza in shops, but most of the vegan convenience (and non vegan) foods are way too expensive for what they are. pizza is really easy to make anyway, you can make the base or buy pizza bases and put whatever you want on top (:

Ms Gryff V3G4N
Jul 29th, 2005, 07:06 PM
I know, but pizza isn't the same without cheese! And I've heard that vegan cheese is gross.

harpy
Jul 29th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Not all vegan cheese is equally gross. If you can get some of the new "supermelting" Cheezly (made by Redwood) that is quite good on top of a pizza - you can even get a mozzarella style version I think.

Mind you cheeseless pizza is fine too as long as you put enough other tasty stuff on top. In Italy some pizzas are automatically made without cheese - you don't even have to ask them to leave it off!