PDA

View Full Version : "Is it vegan"?

joehaer
Jul 26th, 2005, 02:57 AM
I'm seriously considering launching a site with the objective of answering this question. My vision is a community-driven effort to identify possible animal origins of the ingredients in common retail and other products.

What might work is a system where a minimum number of users would need to contact the producer and ask, for each possibly-animal ingredient, whether said component is vegan. This would ideally simplify the task of seeking pure products and could provide further the organization necessary to get some companies to notice the demand for veg*n goods.

I expect that a lot of the work could be automated once we get familiar with companies' processes for answering (or avoiding) our questions.

What would you all think?

weird2twiggy
Jul 26th, 2005, 04:21 AM
i alwayas thought that there should be a website where you can type in the ingridient and then it tell you vegetarian/ or vegan, or neither. so that we can see if we can eat it.... but then later on, i realized it's much more complicated then that - that ingridients can be called the same thing, and sometimes come from animal and sometimes from plant.

i think it would be difficult, but, yes, defenetly a great idea. :)

snaffler
Jul 26th, 2005, 09:38 AM
We already have one very good website called isitvegan that is working well why not contribute to them and help them instead of starting another site from scratch.

Poison Ivy
Jul 26th, 2005, 11:54 AM
We already have one very good website called isitvegan that is working well why not contribute to them and help them instead of starting another site from scratch.

Yes, try

www.isitvegan.info

:)

Realfood Mary
Jul 26th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Hi Johaer

If you are not in the UK would you like to use our database to set up a version of the "is it vegan" website wherever you are? It does become much simpler as you get used to it, as you say, and if you use our database then you will already be bumped up in various search engines etc. We can give you access to the back door, a nation specific site, and anyone logging on would have the choice to click on either a British or wherever flag.

We have been hoping that other countries would start to help out with this as well, so you never know, you could be the start of other countries taking on the project. :)

For a list of e numbers, etc, check out our website www.realfood.org.uk

Mary

snaffler
Jul 26th, 2005, 04:52 PM
We have been hoping that other countries would start to help out with this as well, so you never know, you could be the start of other countries taking on the project. :)
www.realfood.org.uk
Mary

Vegan world domination I like it :D