PDA

View Full Version : What did you eat for the first time today?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Korn
Jul 26th, 2005, 07:18 AM
?
:)

Yoggy
Jul 26th, 2005, 08:01 AM
A vegan veggie burger. It was pretty good, even though I'm not looking to find alternatives to meat which taste like meat. But I'm working on a project so I don't have time to cook up something better, but I needed something that was substantial enough to sustain me through my all-night session. Which I ought to get back to now...:o

foxytina_69
Jul 26th, 2005, 11:12 AM
homemade onion rings dipped in pancake batter rather than fake egg and flour. yummy!

Mystic
Jul 30th, 2005, 10:22 AM
I have eaten both of these things many times before, but not together - medjool dates stuffed with tahini. *drooling right now* - tastes just like halva, but like a million times yummier.

screamingcarrot
Jul 30th, 2005, 02:04 PM
i bought nutritional yeast for the first time this week. ive been having it on EVERYTHING! and eating it by itself..
is it possible to overdose on b vitamins? cause i love vegemite too. :confused:

screamingcarrot
Jul 30th, 2005, 02:05 PM
has anyone tried a fresh pomegranate? i want to try one but dont know where to get them. havent seen them in scotland..

Pob
Jul 30th, 2005, 07:43 PM
I finally got some nutritional yeast, today, too. It's bloomin hard to get round here. Had a quick taste and I can see me putting it in all sorts of things, too.

Tofu Monster
Jul 30th, 2005, 09:02 PM
well not today exactly, but in the last week i tried dried prunes for the first time. i kind of always associated prunes with old ladies until now. but they are yummy!

screamingcarrot
Jul 31st, 2005, 02:36 PM
rob have you found any good combinations yet with the n.yeast?
ive found it goes well with tomatoes and avocado on malted bread. :rolleyes: .but i didnt like it on cereal..

tofu monster if you soak them in a little bit of water overnight they get more juicy!!!

ConsciousCuisine
Jul 31st, 2005, 02:37 PM
I really can't think of anything I haven't eaten :D

screamingcarrot
Jul 31st, 2005, 02:41 PM
have you eaten anko?

anko is a sweet bean paste made from red aduki beans and sugar..its japanese and they use it as a filling in their pounded rice sweets. i used to eat it on toast!!!! :D it beats the hell out of jam!

ConsciousCuisine
Jul 31st, 2005, 02:45 PM
Yes :) I make little buns and Daifuku filled with Anko. Have you eaten Natto? It is also Japanese. I love macrobiotic foods!

screamingcarrot
Jul 31st, 2005, 05:34 PM
Yes :) I make little buns and Daifuku filled with Anko. Have you eaten Natto? It is also Japanese. I love macrobiotic foods!

yay, another daifuku fan! i love ichigo daifuku and sakura mochie..i lived in japan for two years, and ate natto only once, by mistake. i couldnt stomach it... :eek: do you like natto?

where did you learn to make daifuku? did you also live in japan?

JoJo
Jul 31st, 2005, 08:15 PM
Porridge with raisins :p

Marie
Jul 31st, 2005, 08:17 PM
Do you make your own Anko or do you buy it readymade. And where can it be bought? Or do you have recipes....

screamingcarrot
Jul 31st, 2005, 08:51 PM
Do you make your own Anko or do you buy it readymade. And where can it be bought? Or do you have recipes....

i used to buy it, and also make my own in japan..its easy to make. i used to just guess-timate the amounts but heres a recipe i found on the web which sounds about right.. ;)

Anko (Adzuki Bean Paste)

1 cup adzuki beans
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Water

Soak adzuki beans in water overnight.

Heat beans in a pot with one cup of water. When they come to a boil, add two more cups of cold water. When they come to a boil again, drain the beans in a colander.

Return the beans to the pot, add three cups of new water, and cook over high heat. When the beans begin to jump around after the water comes to a boil, turn the heat down to low and simmer until the beans are soft, about one hour. If necessary, add water so that the beans are always covered. skim off any foam that appears on the surface.

When the beans are soft enough to break between your fingers, drain them in a colander.

Return the beans to the pot again and mix in the sugar.

Mash the beans continuously over medium heat until almost all the water has evaporated and a paste has formed, about 35 minutes.

Add the salt and stir over medium heat for about 5 minutes more.

Remove from heat and transfer the paste to a container so that it can cool.

The paste may be kept in the refrigerator for three days and then frozen. (Makes 2 cups.)

yummy!!good luck! :D

Tofu Monster
Jul 31st, 2005, 09:20 PM
tofu monster if you soak them in a little bit of water overnight they get more juicy!!!

i've tried that but it gets a little uncomfortable after a while. hang on... you're talking about prunes aren't you? :rolleyes:

screamingcarrot
Jul 31st, 2005, 09:32 PM
i've tried that but it gets a little uncomfortable after a while. hang on... you're talking about prunes aren't you? :rolleyes:

what prunes?

tipsy
Jul 31st, 2005, 10:57 PM
what prunes?

:D lol :D

i made bbq sietan today!!

ive had it in other things, but i have wanted to try it w/ bbq for a while now!

Roxy
Aug 1st, 2005, 04:09 AM
I love stewed prunes!

screamingcarrot
Aug 1st, 2005, 08:54 AM
:D lol :D

i made bbq sietan today!!

ive had it in other things, but i have wanted to try it w/ bbq for a while now!

ive never had seitan... ive never seen it sold here actually. what does it taste of? :confused:

Mystic
Aug 1st, 2005, 10:14 AM
ive never had seitan... ive never seen it sold here actually. what does it taste of? :confused:

Shit IMO!!!

Pob
Aug 1st, 2005, 10:30 AM
rob have you found any good combinations yet with the n.yeast?
ive found it goes well with tomatoes and avocado on malted bread. :rolleyes: .but i didnt like it on cereal..
I tried making a cheesy and mushroom sauce for pasta - using the yeast flakes to make it cheesy. I didn't quite get it cheesy enough, I need to work on the recipe a bit.

screamingcarrot
Aug 1st, 2005, 10:48 AM
I tried making a cheesy and mushroom sauce for pasta - using the yeast flakes to make it cheesy. I didn't quite get it cheesy enough, I need to work on the recipe a bit.

sounds good ;) . try watching big brother while making dinner, that should make it a little more cheesy :D

Mystic
Aug 1st, 2005, 11:20 AM
Pureed cauliflower and pureed carrot - well the first time since I was a baby anyway :D