PDA

View Full Version : Couscous recipes anyone?

Pages : 1 [2]

Roxy
Sep 10th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Are you near PEI? I'm not too familiar with the geography of the maritimes?

terra
Sep 11th, 2005, 06:41 PM
I'm from Ontario :)

in a small town called midland on georgian bay.

Georgian Bay is in the eastern part of the great lakes.

Midland is about 2 hours north-west of Toronto.

Ps. I bought the Garlic & olive oil Couscous lastnight... It looks SOOO yummy. :D

Tigerlily
Sep 11th, 2005, 07:05 PM
She's talking about me, everybody!

The bad thing about the organic/natural food section of SuperStore here, is that you have walk by the fish market. And they display their fish heads on ice and they have real live fish in tanks. Like out in the open. And the water's all gross and it smells bad.

You could also get to it through the pharmacy section but you still have to walk through a bunch of animal-tested products.

And it's also across the large aisle from the meat area.

I was thinking of complaining but I don't know where else they could put it.

Roxy
Sep 11th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Ahhhh ok.

I love couscous. Haven't had any for a couple of months. Maybe I'll buy some next grocery shop.

Tigerlily
Sep 11th, 2005, 07:08 PM
On topic:
I never tried couscous. Is it nutritious like quinoa? Or even rice?

Plunder Bunnie
Sep 11th, 2005, 08:52 PM
On topic:
I never tried couscous. Is it nutritious like quinoa? Or even rice?

The stuff i bought was just regular couscous (?), i should have gotten whole wheat. The stuff i have dosent seem overly nutritious, just not unnutritious. It might have fibre or something, but dosent even lsit any vitamins or minerals.

speedylemons
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Yum i just got done eating a stuffed pepper i made with couscous. I used whole wheat couscous, a can of blackbeans, a can of corn [i'm trying to use up my canned foods], one medium tomato, curry spice, nutritional yeast and four green peppers. i mixed everything together and then packed the mixture into the four hollow peppers. i cooked em for a while after sprinkling more nutritional yeast on top and when they were done i put a chunk of fresh avocado on top. OMG..... so good. :) i just got done scarfing one down.

mew_76
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Everyone always mentions nutritional yeast, I don't even know what that is...:confused:

Litsea
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:51 PM
That sounds really good Ashley! I'll have to try that... especially since my son keeps picking my red bell peppers from the garden before they're red. :(

pat sommer
Oct 29th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Hint: fill bottom of shallow pan with cous cous, pour over boiling water while shaking. This prevents lumps

goes nicely with egyptian chestnuts: simmer a pan full of raw peeled chestnuts with juice of 1 orange, drizzle of olive oil, dash of rosewater, garlic, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, salt, chopped apricot and enough water to keep pan from going dry before chestnuts are tender

GoodbyeGirl
Dec 28th, 2007, 01:50 AM
MINT COUSCOUS WITH TART CHERRIES

1c water
1t olive oil
1/2c packed dried tart cherries, coarsely chopped
1c couscous
1t crumbled dried mint leaves, or 2T chopped fresh
salt & fresh pepper to taste

boil water in a 2 quart saucepan. remove pot from heat and add oil, cherries, couscous, mint, salt & pepper. cover and let rest 5 minutes. fluff with a fork and adjust seasoning.

GoodbyeGirl
Dec 28th, 2007, 04:54 AM
COUSCOUS WITH APPLE GINGER TOPPING AND ORANGE SAUCE

SAUCE:
3/4c fresh orange juice
1 1/2T triple sec

COUSCOUS:
1 1/3c apple juice
3T vegan butter
1/4t salt
1c uncooked couscous
2t grated orange rind

TOPPING:
2T vegan butter
2T dark brown sugar
2c diced peeled granny smith apple
2T raisins
2T finely chopped crystallized ginger
1 1/2T triple sec
1/2t ground cinnamon

to prepare sauce bring orange juice to a boil in a large saucepan; cook until reduced to 1/3c (about 6 minutes). stir in 1 1/2T liqueur. pour into a small bowl and set aside.
to prepare couscous bring apple juice, 3T of butter & salt to a boil in a saucepan, and gradually stir in couscous nd rind. remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. fluff with a fork.
to prepare topping melt 2T butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. add sugar and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. stir in apple and raisins; cook 5 minutes or until apple is tender, stirring frequently. remove from heat. stir in ginger, 1 1/2T liqueur, and cinnamon.
spoon about 1/3c couscous into each of 8 dessert glasses or bowls. top each serving with bout 2T topping and 1T sauce. garnish with mint sprigs if desired.

Roxy
Dec 28th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Thanks for those recipes GoodbyeGirl :) Sometimes I like to take couscous to work for my lunch - these are going to come in handy when I want to jazz things up a bit! :)

veggedoutnluvinit
Jan 10th, 2008, 09:05 PM
i always like to make couscous with a pesto sauce on top...w/ some of my favorite sauteed veggies as well! i think the pesto is the key thing though...i love it!! a good recipe for couscous!!:D (http://sodelicious.org/anotha-easy-vegan-recipe)