PDA

View Full Version : Couscous recipes anyone?

Pages : [1] 2

Plunder Bunnie
Jul 29th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Heya guys. I was always a picky eater growing up, and since bcoming vegan have tried to expand the list of foods that i eat regularly. I dont have a lot of time in the day to cook because i hate being home doing nothing, but anywho, does anyone have any couscous recipes out there? Im buying groceries on monday and owuld love to have a little list of veggies to throw in! Thanks!

LittleNellColumbia
Aug 20th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Hi there!
Well im not much of a cook, but i was flicking through my cook books the other day when i saw a stuffed capsicum recipe,
You just cook the desired about of couscous, add vegan marge (melted) to taste, add some currants and whcih ever spices you fancy. Then you microwave a whole, dug out capsicum untill softened and stuff the sontents insed an vwalla!! yummo couscous recipe!! you can also have to remaining amount of couscous as a side dish with your desired vegies and a chutney mixed in!
Hope that helped a teeensy bit:D

amarle
Aug 20th, 2005, 10:52 AM
i pretty much throw in a bit of everything when i do couscous. whole cumin seeds add great flavour... add them to your hot oil before you do any veges... and don't let them burn. :)

Plunder Bunnie
Aug 20th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Thanks alot guys, sounds good!

snivelingchild
Sep 7th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Add currants. No matter what else you do, the currants make ALL the difference. Boil them in the water too to help spread the flavor.

Mystic
Sep 7th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Chickpeas and couscous are a marriage made in heaven.

Geoff
Sep 7th, 2005, 05:26 AM
When I saw this thread, I wondered why vegans would want recipes for a small arboreal marsupial but, when I checked, I found that the animal is a cuscus. All rather confusing really.:)

Roxy
Sep 7th, 2005, 05:29 AM
LOL Geoff :D :rolleyes:

I like to add sultanas (raisins for North American folk) and shelled pistachio nuts. Yum! :p Chopped dried apricots would probably be very nice too.

terra
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Hi Plunder Bunnie -

I love couscous! I use an organic whole wheat couscous! Yum!

I usually eat it plain, because it's so quick and easy to make.. but when someone else is eating with me, I will make a couscous stir-fry.

While the couscous is cooking, I put carrots, yellow pepper, minced jalapeno, green onion and broccoli into a pan with some olive oil. Toss that around for a few minutes and serve it over the couscous.

Sometimes I will add soya sauce but it's just as good without!

Yum in my tum!

LittleNellColumbia
Sep 8th, 2005, 08:00 AM
I have completely forgot the brand by now, but previously we have been able to find quick serve couscous in satchets from the supermarket, which come in different flavours! they have really generous serves per satchet (serves one) and has only about 120 calories for a fairly large bowl. I had tomato and mushroom, which was nice!

terra
Sep 8th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Tomato and Mushroom flavour sounds SO tasty!

We have a brand here in canada called Casbah.

They make flavoured ones aswell...

Organic Whole Wheat CousCous
Original CousCous
CousCous Nutted with Currants & Spice
Lemon Spinach CousCous
Roasted Garlic & Olive Oil CousCous
Wild Forest Mushroom CousCous
Toasted Couscous
Thai Cuban Toasted CousCous
Toasted CousCous
Wild Mushroom Toasted CousCous

I got that from their website... they sound pretty good, and I think they are quick serve...?

I think I may have to give them a try...

Plunder Bunnie
Sep 8th, 2005, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=terra]Tomato and Mushroom flavour sounds SO tasty!
CousCous Nutted with Currants & Spice
Lemon Spinach CousCous
Roasted Garlic & Olive Oil CousCous
QUOTE]

Those ones sound awesome!

maya
Sep 8th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Ok! this is a little spicy, so if you dont eat spicy food use less curry paste. I cook a lot and I am always trying new recipes. I got this one from a Thai cooking class I took. It is really good. I also learned how to make spring rolls. Yum!

1 cup dry couscous
1 and 1/4 cup water
1 onion, finely chopped
1 bell pepper finely chopped
a few tablespoons curry paste (yellow or red curry paste, which you can find in a chinese market.)
a little olive oil
some paprika
a tablespoon or so of grated fresh ginger
1 can of baby corn
First, make the couscous. Boil one and a quarter cups of water, then add the cup of dry couscous, cover, and remove from heat. In a few minutes, the couscous will soak up the water and will be ready.

Heat up a pan with a little olive oil in the bottom. When hot toss the onion and pepper into the pan and stir it as it heats up. Add the ginger, curry paste.
When the onions begin to soften, add baby corn. Then toss couscous into big pan. Once it is fully mixed, add some paprika.

Plunder Bunnie
Sep 8th, 2005, 06:55 PM
yum:D

Roxy
Sep 8th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Oh Yum Maya!! That sounds delicious!!

terra
Sep 9th, 2005, 03:30 AM
MmMmM -

I LOVE spicy foods!
and I LOVE ginger...

I've never tried curry paste... that sounds like a good recipe to try it out for the first time!

Thanks Maya!

Plunder Bunnie - do you have Zehrs or The Real Canadian Superstore in NS?
That's where you can get those flavors of couscous - they have them in the "organic" section... :)

Plunder Bunnie
Sep 9th, 2005, 12:32 PM
MmMmM -
Plunder Bunnie - do you have Zehrs or The Real Canadian Superstore in NS?
That's where you can get those flavors of couscous - they have them in the "organic" section... :)

I have an Atlantic Super Store in my hometown, i actually work there (although i hate it) and they do have a healthfood section full of organic stuff, as well as vegetarian and vegan stuff. I'll take a look around there next time, thats the aisle i always head to first buying groceries!

terra
Sep 9th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Oh cool! - do you get discounts on food? That would be awesome.. I spend way too much money on groceries. but it's so worth it just knowing that it's not crap.

I'm the same way, I go strait to the organic section.

Our store is SO big, you could get lost in it. It's discusting. But luckily, that means a decent sized organic section. When I go shopping, I only shop in 1/16 of the store. I go to the organic section, and then to the produce section.

Thankfully they're both near the front door and the self-checkout, so I don't have to be in there too long. (I'm not a big fan of shopping or spending money or risking the chance of running into someone I don't want to see....we live in a SMALL town... :o )

Atlantic Superstore and Zehrs are own by the same company, so I would think they would have pretty much the same brands and products.
Is there anything you really like from Atlantic Superstore that you would recommend?.. maybe I can look for it in my store :)

terra
Sep 9th, 2005, 07:30 PM
sorry to get off-topic... we could continue this in the Canadian thread.... :)

Plunder Bunnie
Sep 10th, 2005, 02:46 AM
Lol, well, i dont get a discount cuz they are super cheap there, and they say people would try to buy a whole grocery order, but it would be so easy to just have like a, ten dollar or less policy. But anywho, yea, thats the place i buy much of my stuff, and produce too. I also get some cereal etc, but not a whole lot else. The PC soydogs, (the brand name of the food the store produces, i dont know if its the same at yours) are the best i've had. They're in the produce department at my store, in a cooler. They don't have that rubbery texture alot of soydogs have.
In the organics section, there are these waffles i really like, they clearly say on the package that they are milk and egg free which is nice, and the ones i like have real blueberrys and raspberrys in them. (none of that article gunk!) I think they are called natures path.
At the store they also have organic soy cheeses, but not a one of them is vegan, they all of casien in them. Lots of the time if i forget a work snack i grab a soy delicious fudge bar that are sold individually. Yum! and only 4 grams of fat which is nice.
Im really having a hard time remembering things i buy there on a weekyl basis, i buy my pasta there, and this mexican tomato soup, but i forget the brand, its yummy!!
Anywho, the worst thing about working their tho is the meat. Especially pork lions, because they arent on a styrofoam plate like the rest, and are just sucked into a syranwrap tube. So they jiggle around and stuff when you touch them. Disgusting. Alot of customers have mentioned how i go all weird when i touch it. I am currently looking for a new job in a smaller, animal friendly store ;). Its also funyn watching how much CRAP people eat. potato chips are probably the third best seller after milk and bread!!! Its disturbing!!!

Roxy
Sep 10th, 2005, 06:24 AM
I am going to PEI for a vacation next summer. I've been told the Superstore there has a good organics section :D That's good - because I'll probably be packing a picnic or 2 while I'm there :D

terra
Sep 10th, 2005, 07:19 PM
I know what you mean about the potato chips Plunder -

The thing I can't get over is the amount of Pop/soda people have in their carts -

Almost every cart that I see has a case of coke or crap like that -

And everytime I go shopping, I see atleast one person with their cart FILLED with cases of soda & chips. (and we have HUGE carts here) and then to see the kids they have riding along with them. I feel bad for them knowing that they're going home to eat and drink crap.... I hate it.

Luckily, I don't have to go near the meat section in my store, I stay FAR away from it, and then I go to the self check-out, so i don't have to see any of the scary stuff. I couldn't imagine having to handle a giggly dead carcase.
Good luck with finding a new job! :)

Roxy -

Do you have Superstores or any Loblaws in Vancouver?
My aunt and her family live in Kelowna, and they have a superstore there... but I believe she told me they didn't carry the "organics" brand - haha........creepy that it's a BRAND.
I think you'll be happy when you go to the Superstore in PEI ... from what Plunder Bunnie has been saying, it sounds like they have a lot of the same things we do here, and there's a lot of goodies here. So I think you'll be able to make a yummy Picnic for 2!! :)

terra
Sep 10th, 2005, 07:21 PM
ps - roxy...

Is the person who you're going to visit vegan aswell?

Roxy
Sep 10th, 2005, 07:26 PM
I hope to meet up with a Vegan flower when I'm there ;) :)

terra
Sep 10th, 2005, 07:46 PM
OH - I see Roxy!

Well then, Good luck to you! ;)