PDA

View Full Version : Occasional slips and ongoing food cravings

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

adam antichrist
Aug 13th, 2005, 03:09 AM
I don't think I've ever seen that syrup, but I'm now gonna for sure keep my out for it. It sounds REALLY good, and like a perfect substitute! Thanx for the great idea! :)

Also rice syrup... closest thing I've ever found to honey. It has the same consistency but is not as sweet. I love maple syrup but it's too thin, and treacle etc are too rich. Rice syrup rocks mate. It's even cheaper than honey.

Roxy
Aug 13th, 2005, 03:26 AM
I'll have to try that too. Can you put it on toast or is best to use just in cooking?

adam antichrist
Aug 13th, 2005, 03:28 AM
Yeah it's great on toast yummm

Roxy
Aug 13th, 2005, 04:00 AM
Ok - thanks I'm going to try it. I've seen it in the grocery store.

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 13th, 2005, 05:34 AM
I have a question about honey...I tend to not eat it becuase I consider it an animal product but a raw vegan cookbook I have sometimes calls for honey or maple syrup in the recipes. I always use the syrup but was wondering, is honey vegan, or is it more something that is a choice for vegans to eat or not eat? Sorry about my ignorance, but I'm trying to learn, thanx! :)

:D Well, if the cook book is telling you to use maple syrup and honey, it is neither raw nor vegan! :eek:

Another vote here for raw agave nectar. It is soooooo goooooooood! :)

Roxy
Aug 13th, 2005, 06:37 PM
:D Well, if the cook book is telling you to use maple syrup and honey, it is neither raw nor vegan! :eek:

Another vote here for raw agave nectar. It is soooooo goooooooood! :)

CC is right about the maple syrup and honey.

How do you eat agave nectar? Can you eat it on toast or is it mainly for use in cooking?

Aurora
Aug 14th, 2005, 01:34 PM
I didn't realise maple syrup wasn't vegan, but as I only use Agave I suppose I have never bothered checking :)

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 14th, 2005, 01:48 PM
I didn't realise maple syrup wasn't vegan, but as I only use Agave I suppose I have never bothered checking :)

Maple syrup is dreamy and vegan but it is not "raw". So, the cookbook isn't 100% vegan because it has honey and isn't 100% raw because it has maple syrup :)

moochbabe
Aug 15th, 2005, 06:29 AM
I think it is possible to sometimes get raw maple syrup, it's just really difficult I think. But thank u for that little tid bit of information as well. And thank u too adam antichrist, I really like rice syrup, it's a great sweetener for things! :D

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 15th, 2005, 07:30 AM
I think it is possible to sometimes get raw maple syrup, it's just really difficult I think.

That would be maple sap. VERY different from maple syrup (see the really cool link below) :) http://www.tricountyi.net/~riverside/making.html

moochbabe
Aug 15th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Oh, thank u so much, that's really cool to learn. I'll remember that the next time that I make a raw meal (which isn't TOO often). Thank u again! :) And btw, that site was very informative, thanx for that too, lol.

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 15th, 2005, 10:12 PM
You're welcome! I LOVE that site! It's astounding that it can take 55 gallons :eek: of tree sap to make a gallon of maple syrup! So, basically a whole gallon of sap to make a SERVING of maple syrup for a person (with a serving being 1/55 of a gallon of maple syrup ;) ):eek:

Kumem
Aug 15th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Cool site CC.
:D

moochbabe
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:01 AM
It almost seems a little excessive just for maple syrup, no wonder it's so sweet and yummy though! :o

Roxy
Aug 16th, 2005, 07:48 AM
I love maple syrup! Especially on vegan waffles :p

adam antichrist
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:09 AM
For some reason I started thinking about hollandaise sauce today. If I ate some I doubt I could keep it down these days :rolleyes: but I used to really enjoy making it. Doing the breakfast shift in cafes, it was alwys the first thing to make so often the second thing I'd do was eat some with toast :D

I wouldn't call it a craving, it was a lust but not intense enough to be a craving. Anyway I'm going to stop thinking about it now before it becaomes a full blown craving.

Oh yeah the thing that I was thinking was the only ingrediant in my house these days is white vinegar... no eggs, butter or white wine :p

Kumem
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:09 AM
You could always have white wine vinegar on tofu, instead of hollandaise on eggs ;)
Mmm sounds yummy :D

Artichoke47
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I have a recipe for hollandaise sauce. I will try to find it later...

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=72776#post72776

moochbabe
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:22 AM
I used to really like hollondaise sauce! :D But it was always a little too rich for me though!

Roxy
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:38 PM
I never ate it, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing :)

screamingcarrot
Aug 17th, 2005, 08:00 PM
i never ate it either. even before i was vegan the smell and look of it made me feel sick..!

moochbabe
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:06 AM
Ya, i often had the same impression of it, yet when it was served to me i tried it, and if only using a little bit, i liked it on asparagus. Now it just makes me sad that I smothered something so yummy in something so icky and unhealthy! lol, live and learn! :p

Sweets
Aug 21st, 2005, 07:22 AM
i crave pastries/donuts/baked goods but i'm never really tempted to just eat one... just doesnt seem worth it to me after all i feel so strongly about my way of life.

screamingcarrot
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:28 PM
have you tried any vegan pastries/pies yet?
in the uk theres a company called jordan valley wholefoods who make amazing spinnach and lentil rolls, Sausage rolls (soya), nutty rice potato top pies etc..they are divine..my omni BF loves them too!
maybe they have something similar where you are to help curb the cravings?
alot of the pastrys (to use for cooking) in the supermarket are vegan but they have hydrogenated oils.. :(

Roxy
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:37 PM
I have found some vegan apple and cherry strudels at my local bakery. I went through the ingredients with the owner. Their pies (except for the pumpkin pie) are vegan as well.

I know also that down in Australia, Banana has discovered some vegan savoury pies and rolls.